Remove Cats or high flow?

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I just picked up a silver 2003 SRT10, drove it from Philly to Tampa straight through, 15 hours. Who says this car isn't comfortable?

Anyway, heat is a problem, so I'm trying to decide what to do about the cats. Apparently there are 4? Anyway, should I just hollow out the cats, buy high flows, or do some combination? Plus's and minus's?

Thanks,
Shawn

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car. The biggest asset to a new owner is the search function. It has be discussed a billion times.

As for your question my vote are Roe High Flow Cats. From what I have heard no cats is way to loud.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So I just picked up a silver 2003 SRT10, ..... heat is a problem, so I'm trying to decide what to do about the cats. Apparently there are 4? Anyway, should I just hollow out the cats, buy high flows, or do some combination? Plus's and minus's?
Thanks, Shawn

Easily searchable..... but heres a taste:

OE indeed has 4 cats. HOT. And your car has a crossover if still Stock. HOT.

No cats =

backfire + Ratty, hammery loud,

8+ L of stink 24" from your hair, nose, and clothing.

Flames / scorch out exhaust pipe.

Check-Engine lites, or you have to defeat your OBD2 diagnostics w/ simulators.

Not A Fan...........

Bolt-In Random Tech Hi-Flow-Cats from nicely under $600 / pair, USA made, 5-year written warrantee. Flow-rate tested and guaranteed. Hundreds Sold....[6 sets warranteed 100% in 5 years...]

Get rid of the crossover ...under $500. "Crossover delete" Or go with n a catback.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know about the search function...guess I should have put that in my post. I went through pages of posts.

Thanks for giving an opinion anyways...

Shawn

OP
OP
S

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Jon. The search function seemed to indicate that there are 4 cats. Do you have to change them all?

Shawn

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Jon. The search function seemed to indicate that there are 4 cats. Do you have to change them all? Shawn

Unbolt and drop the 4.....replace with bolt-in 2. Footwell temps drop at least 125 f degrees !! Passes even CA emissions...... Catless or SIMS wont pass emissions in many states.

There are options for deeper-mellower tone with Ceramic/Stainless, or if you want louder (or plan extensive mods) you might choose Super-Hi-Flow Honeycomb cells stainless.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I must have the coolest srt ever. I have lived in 2 deserts without the heat problems. On the drive did you leave it on recirculate?

OP
OP
S

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yea, it was fine with the top up, the windows up, and the air conditioning blasting. However, both the sills and the console were quite warm, and the heat soak after sitting for 15-20 minutes was terrible.

Not only that, but I was driving with the top down the other day, it was a warm day, but the heat coming from the console and the sills and pouring over the windshield from the engine...I can't imagine handling that in the middle of a Florida summer.

Shawn

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done hi-flo cats with stock exhaust and hi-flo without crossovers - too much drone without the crossovers. Now I'm back to stock cats without crossovers. The heat drop was noticeably less dropping the crossovers than dropping the stock cats and staying with hi-flows and crossovers. All this using factory mufflers.

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll let you know once I get my car back. :( I've got Belanger headers with no cats and Corsa 3 inch exhaust. My tuner says it's pretty loud. In fact he was running it up and down the street in the industrial park where his shop is and he got the cops called on him. lol :D

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll let you know once I get my car back. :( I've got Belanger headers with no cats and Corsa 3 inch exhaust. My tuner says it's pretty loud. In fact he was running it up and down the street in the industrial park where his shop is and he got the cops called on him. lol :D

You will need ear plugs, might as well get rid of the radio.

Herc

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just eliminating my cross overs on my 04 and replacing with Corsa track mufflers reduced cabin heat to tolerable levels with the top down. With AC there are no issues....