Removing Crank Pulley

800SX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Sorry for the noob question, but how do you remove the crank pulley? is it on a keyway or just push fit?

either way best method or removing, 2/3 legged puller?

Also I lost a push rod down in the block, any tips of retrieving it bar removing the sump :(

Cheers
Dan :2tu:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most Auto stores sell a crank pulley for around $10. I used one and came off fairly easy. Only problem is the limited room to work with. Problem will be getting it back on. Took me forever and I mean forever. FYI, my engine was still in car, unmoved.

Can you see the push rod at all with a flash light? if you can use one of those bendable grabbers (sorry, dont remember the name) which can also be find at most auto stores.

You could also pull the pan I assume. I'd call Chuck Tator for tips.

OP
OP

800SX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
took the heads off to change to metal head gaskets, also changing the cam :)

Also engine is out of the car, so should make things easier :)

Cheers for the tips.

DVSGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The pulley is actually only bolted to the balancer. If you need to get the balancer off the end of the crank snout don't use the jaw type puller, could damage or break the balancer. Unbolt the pulley and use the bolt type puller. I used the one from Checker, but I got longer bolts so I could get more threads in. The bolts that come with it only get a couple threads into the balancer.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so you pulled the engine and heads and you are doing a cam and dont know how to remove a balancer ?

OP
OP

800SX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so you pulled the engine and heads and you are doing a cam and dont know how to remove a balancer ?

well the other parts are simple mechanics, but I didn't know if the balancer was on a thread or keyed in any way. Done a search but got mixed answers :(

Other than that it's a very simple engine to work on, got the heads off in 30 mins which is much quicker than any other car I've worked on :)

I'm sort of a bit blind on working on the engine too, as I don't have any manuals to follow :(

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seriously, and he called it a pulley instead of a balancer :confused: :omg:

The balancer is not threaded on, it's not even keyed ;) A normal harmonic balancer puller will work fine With the correct three bolts)
A magnet will get the push rod but ....and you should know this with the work your are attempting....after you pull the balancer you will then pull the front cover to get to the cam. Before you pull the front cover you will pull the pan. Presto...there is a push rod :D

OP
OP

800SX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool cheers guys :)

Also I'm from England, over here they are known as crank pulley's not balancers ;)

I'll strip the rest of the engine down tomorrow, but overall very basic engine not like the *** ones I'm used to.

Cheers

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bit of advice I got from Chuck Tator when reinstalling the balancer on my car: While you have the darn thing off, replace the front main seal. It's cheap insurance against leaks from an old seal, and the thing was only a few bucks. You might also consider pinning your balancer while you're at it. If you ever get the wild hair to go with a supercharger, you'll have it done and it will be MUCH easier to do with the engine out of the car.

OP
OP

800SX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool, appreciate it :)

Will change the crank seal regardless and have a read up about pinning :)