Removing hood grills

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to remove the honeycomb grills from the hood vent openings on my Gen IV, without destroying them, so that I can put them back in later?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
they each have about 6-8 plastic-screw fasteners...

if you decide to leave the vents out you will run cooler under hood and under cowl, and have less front-end lift. Some would call it more downforce.

you can possibly reuse them with silicone sealer.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
To answer your real question the push pins will destroy themselves on the way out so you will need all of them replaced to install them back. They come out hard so take your time and try not to break them off or they just roll around in your hood. :rolaugh:

PN#6505417 sold as individual parts! LOL retail is $5.70 each!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And some clarifying, although unresponsive to the question, data courtesy of the SRT Engineers:

1. Removing the grills can allow unwanted hands to take the dip stick, oil fill cap and so on while the owner isn't looking.

2. The grills keep debris from getting under the hood and possibly causing issues. For example a few dry leaves in the right spot and you could have a fire when things heat up or a stone or other object could get into the accessory drive while driving and cause belt damage or loss. Another possibility is someone who intentionally drops something into your engine compartment while the car is unattended.

3. With the above said, the grills do not provide any kind of structural support to the hood. There is some improvement in cooling and front downforce by leaving the grills off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it may not be worth the hassle/risk for the added performance. Thaks for the info guys.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LOOKS COOL..... and you can check your dipstick without opening the hood!! Don't park under any spreading chestnut trees.....

PS my event is Tuesday 3/2....