Removing Spark plug boots

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting new plugs in my '06 for the start of the season. Getting the plug boots off is turning out to be a real pain. Any ideas? As much as I like AB's wires I can't afford to do them now so I need to be very careful getting mine off.

Once they are off, can I put a little silicone grease to make it easier in the future? I used to have to do that when I was astill driving GM products in the 80's. I dont know if that will cause issues now.

thanks

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I twist the boot gently to loosen before pulling up on it but NEVER pull on the wire portion. Part stores sell a small tube of boot lubricant to be applied on the inside of the boot but very spareingly and not where the connection is made.

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a tool that has prongs that go around the spark plug and under the end of the boot. You just pull straight up and off it comes. I have had this tool for years.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you have a Harbor Freight Tool Store in your area, they sell Pliers for removing hose clamps that are about 12 inches long, with orange handles & work perfect for removing Spark Plug Boots. Also before reinstalling boot, put some Dielectric compound in end of boot before installing. Also use compressed air to blow out spark plug area BEFORE removing Plug,( So no trash falls into engine) & torque plug properly. :2tu:

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best advise is to twist them gently then pull as much as you can on the boot portion, sometimes it takes a few pulls but will eventually come. There is not a lot of space to get good grip on some of the boots but if you are patient it will come. Also I've found evey now and then you can use your other hand to help pull if you can get far enough on the boot and then they pop off pretty easy from the extra force.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog