Removing the harmonic balancer?????

caj98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As one of the last steps before I get the timing cover off I have to remove the harmonic balancer. I have the puller but I am wondering how do I break the large center bolt loose? Right now, if I get a socket on it it simply turns the crank and I obviously can not get any leverage to break the bolt loose to then back it out to then put the puller on the balancer! Any tips?

Thanks in advance for the help.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the longest, heaviest duty socket drive that you can get and go to home depot and get a piece of pipe that fits over the drive for more leverage. Set the emergency brake and have a helper sit in the car and keep the brakes applied. Rather than yanking on the bolt apply steady, heavy pressure and the bolt should break loose. It can be a "bear" to get off. Do not use an impact gun as you can damage your crankshaft bearings. Good luck.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alternate method:

Place socket on bolt, brace breaker bar against something solid, engage starter.

Not for the faint of heart. :D

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more tip. Use as a last resort. You are dealing with a large diameter bolt, probably locktited on at 250 ft. lbs. torque. If you can't get it off any other way, you can use a propane torch and apply some heat to the bolt.
This should help soften up the locktite. This has worked for me in other instances when the bolt just wouldn't budge.
I know what you're going through, it seems like it will never break loose but the long breaker bar, extension pipe, and heavy, continuous pressure should work. Make sure you have a helper with a heavy foot on the brakes.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would probably want to put the car in 4th gear.

You want a high gear to make it harder to turn the rear wheels. I say 4th because the last time this came up, someone said the 5th and 6th are not as strong.

Seems to me like the engine would put more strain on any of the gears than even a long wrench but someone said to use 4th.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1/2" drive socket & breaker bar minimum. 3/4" drive is preferred. Also, the cheater bar needs to be long, 4' - 5' or longer. Try the bar from your floor jack, other wise get a 5' thick wall pipe. By the way, black gas pipe is soft enough to bend like a pretzel!

OP
OP
C

caj98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys - I really appreciate it. I am going to give it a shot in the morning and see what happens. Thanks again

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have you pulled the oil pan off yet to clean it out?If so place a block of wood between the cran and the side of the block.Or you can pull the dust cover off the front of the trans and have someone hold a pry bar between the teeth on the flywheel and the bell housing.Both work very well.

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or another method is to do nothing and it will just fall off!
OK sorry guys.....I just had to.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302