Repaint? Will this kill the value?

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I had mine painted. Changed from Black with Silver stripes to 2001 Yellow with Pearl White stripes. (Car had not been wrecked, Just didn't like Black)1995 RT/10 Venom 600 with 38,000 miles and just had it appraised at $54,950..

I don't think it hurt it that bad. If you are the one driving it, Paint it to suit you....jmho

cmfwaic
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
usa-clear-s.gif

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A "true collector" wouldn't buy a wrecked car anyhow. Paint it whatever color you want. Not long ago VQ did an article on a custom Viper painted a candy-apple purple. It looked rather nice.
It is your ride- paint it what makes you happy. Then put on an exhaust that makes you smile.

Reaction score
I had my Viper repainted. I didn’t like the flavor of black that Dodge used. It’s rather milky and dull. I also wanted silver stripes. I also didn’t like the way the body aged. After a few years of shrinking/expanding in the sun, Vipers begin to look like they’re covered in cellulite! I had the car completely block-sanded and repainted "real" black (my car was originally black to begin with). My car was never wrecked and not even driven in the rain. It was just due for a face lift.

As for value, I’ve been offered ridiculously large amounts of money for my Viper by "non-collectors". Even though it’s more than the car’s worth, I declined of course. Don’t be frightened by what "Collectors" think, as these types of people usually don’t collect Vipers…

You must be registered for see images

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you paint the car lime green or pink you'll likely narrow the number of potential buyers, but if you select a "tasteful" color you should be OK. You can see from the responses that every one has their own unique taste.

Start by narrowing your choices as follows:

(1) Metallic or Non-Metallic
(2) Stripes or No Stripes - some colors will fall off your list if you decide to go with stripes, since some combinations don't pair well.

On a personal note: I like the Anthracite color that BMW puts on some of their cars, but don't know if the color would bode well on a Viper.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is a rebuilt car, color will not be the thing affecting it's value...... There are enough clean Vipers around that people who are truly into originality will be able to get one.

I'm doing a rebuild too, and selected a "non-Viper" color for the same reasons you mentioned. I've chose "Light Pewter Metallic" and am still tweaking the stripes.... Choose a tasteful color and you'll be OK, Hot Pink, Pure Purple, or Vibrant Orange would greatly limit your potential buyers
smile.gif

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelP:
Docutron the car looks GREAT! What color is that? What it cost for the block sand and the painting?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello "MichaelP":

I'm not exactly sure of the color, but I think it was called "***** Black". It was about $2000 just for the paint alone. It is true black, and not a combination of blue/brown etc. When parked next to another black car (even high-end), the difference is striking!

The block sanding, body prep, painting, and the like ran about $22,000 in total. However, I tend to pay too much for everything. This is California, so I'm sure you could do much better in your neck of the woods. If you like, you could call Jerry Wolfe at G&C to get the exact specs at (707) 525-3520. He's a little hard to get a hold of.

Here's a few pictures of what they did:

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950