Repairing curb rash?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2004 SRT/10 to buy, and it has some curb rash on the front right. Can that be taken out, with out removing the clear coat? It's not to bad, BUT?
I know about Wheels America, and turbax (sic) but they can’t clear like the factory, and once the clear coat is off it’s a nightmare to keep up.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some SRT wheel on my 99, and there were some blemishes on the face of the wheel. I took some never dull to it and came out pretty nice. Maybe its just mine, but there wheels don't seem to have a clear coat on them. I couldn't do the Never Dull method with the 99-02 wheels.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are a number of places that can do a good job. The thing that has stopped me for now is that the wheel and tire has to be removed. So that gets you into getting the sensors re calibrated. Didn't feel like fussing with it. But you can definitely get a good job done. Clear coat is re applied but sometimes it does not match exactly.

Reaction score
The coating is a clear powder coat. If it is removed to repair a scratch the whole wheel needs to be refinished. In most cases the finish is not as brilliant as the factory. You can have the wheels all done to match or have a custom tint powder applied to customize the look.

Mark

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coating is a clear powder coat. If it is removed to repair a scratch the whole wheel needs to be refinished. In most cases the finish is not as brilliant as the factory. You can have the wheels all done to match or have a custom tint powder applied to customize the look.
Mark

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2004 SRT/10 to buy, and it has some curb rash on the front right. Can that be taken out, with out removing the clear coat? It's not to bad, BUT?
I know about Wheels America, and turbax (sic) but they can’t clear like the factory, and once the clear coat is off it’s a nightmare to keep up.

Maybe, I can help you... http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=651790&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
:2tu: :2tu:

SRTTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew,
I had curb rash on my 2 right wheels when I bought my car. The smaller of the 2 was approximatly 3 inch on my right front. I am familiar with polishing metal (metallurgical engineer) so decided to give it a try myself. The rash wasn't too bad but you could definitely see it. I used 120 grit wet/dry sand paper and sanded the rub until the ridges were gone. I used small sections of the sand paper and my thumb to slowly sand back and forth. I then moved on to 320, 400, and 600 grit paper. You use the 400 and 600 to fare in the clear coat so it will have a smooth transition to the aluminum. I then used Novus #2 fine compound (designed to remove light scratches)to regain the original polish then put on a coat of polymer wax. When I was done, I could honestly not see the repair spot. The right rear was much worse and I used the same technique and it came out pretty good. You can see a slight waviness in the clear coat but it is hardly noticable. Overall I was satisfied with the fix versus new wheels, $$, or strip, polish, and re clear coat. I did my repair 7 months ago and just put on a fresh coat of wax today and the exposed aluminum was shiny and had not oxidized. It still looked good after 7 months.

Give it a try. Worse case is you can have the pros repair your repair.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, I was looking at an SRT/10 with rash on one wheel, and it doesn't look like I'll be taking that car, but I figure with Viper wheels the way they are, either I'll buy a car with some wheel rash or I'll do it myself.
Thanks again, Good to have an expert here in WPB:)
Andrew

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does the re-clear coat look?

Not sure I always like the chrome look of the SRT wheels. I like the high polished look of the Gen II 18'' oem better.
Anybody compare the two together?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought they looked the same. I went chrome because the polish was always chipping off the wheels and it just started to look horrible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang