Replace water valve heater hose clamps

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to replace the OEM speed clamps on the water valve heater hoses with screw clamps. Can I do this without draining the coolant? How much coolant will spill out if I remove the hoses w/o draining?

Thx

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unscrew the new clamps completely and then put them around the hose. That way you never take the hose off thus saving your coolant and burping......

vipertech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
watch how tight you make the clamps the heater valve is plastic and may crack if over tightened.would reccommend a high pressure clamp instead in which case you may loose some coolant.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was also a post recently whereas coolant ran down into the heater core area through the foam gasket by the valve, where the lines go into the car. Made a nasty coolant smell for a bit till it all evaporated or whatever glycol finally does when it has no more smell to give.

Something to keep in mind when spilling coolant...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up replacing mine following the Wizard's advice. Once I replaced the OEM hose clamps on the heater core and my leak went away. The gasket you see below did become saturated with coolant and as Dave said it smelled for a while. The smell was gone after about 700 miles or so.

IMG_0166.jpg

2002snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FINALLY HOME AND PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN !!!
Any ideas on something more attractive?? I want to do this (small seep) but that part is so out in the open it looks gawdy with an ugly hose clamp like that.Isn't there a hose clamp cover made to hide it ?? It also seems that the wire tie is a factory BAND AID repair for a know leaky issue . Any thoughts??

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My spring-clamps developed a leak on the tube side (not the heater-core side). I replaced all the clamps with the screw-type like shown above. I really had to screw them down tight on the tube side to get rid of a pesky leak that sprayed coolant all over my #10 plug wire. The screw-type clamps are not very pleasing to the eye, but I can't think of anything else that would provide enough tension to do the job.