Replacing Fuel Pump

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like my fuel pump has bit the dust. If you were going to replace the fuel pump would there be an aftermarket pump you would use and where would you get it?

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock pump is ok, but if you will upgrade would I go with a Walbro 340GSS (255 l/h)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not going o be a fun job! I had one replaced under warranty and so happy I didn't have to pay for it or do it. The tech had to break through the back of the trunk on my R/T to get to the tank! What a mess! The pump alone was $600. Hey JP, is the Walbro 340GSS a direct bolt in replacement?

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not going o be a fun job! I had one replaced under warranty and so happy I didn't have to pay for it or do it. The tech had to break through the back of the trunk on my R/T to get to the tank! What a mess! The pump alone was $600. Hey JP, is the Walbro 340GSS a direct bolt in replacement?
GTS piece of cake.....R/T well thats a different story.No the Walbro is not a direct bolt on,requires fabrication,not that bad though but not for the inexperienced.If you have any future plans of S.C and digging into the motor now would be a nice time to lay the ground work for the fuel system,If not OEM though $$$ will be fine

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a RT/10 and ran two fuel lines (-10 return line and a -12 pump line) out through the trunk. I fabricated a copy of the stock tank out of aluminum and added a baffled rear mounted sump for the fuel lines. Aeromotive makes a great complete fuel system. I used a external 650lb/hr inline pump (Eliminator). The billet pump controller regulates the voltage to the pump and keeps the pressure down at low RPM, so the fuel does not overly re circulate. And the bypass regulator flows the excess fuel back to the tank. The regulator can be set up to read manifold pressure to give extra fuel under boost conditions. This is a great fuel system for medium to highly modified engines.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People with GTS are lucky in this aspect....easier replacement.
Cudaman :usa:

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone run dual Walboro's, one to feed each rail? If I was going to change the pump out for SCing I figure why not add a second pump and line. Has this been done on a street Viper? I had this setup in my last car and it worked great. I hear boost a pumps being used with Viper's but I figure two pumps would be cleaner.

Any thoughts?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BlueGTS:

A pump replacement with other then the stock pump is not easy. Even with the GTS the procedure is difficult. It is not the access or removal of the old pump. The problem is making the new pump-in-a-bottle mate up with existing mounting configuration. You have a fixed mounting height to work with and the Walbro 255 gph model doesn't fit well. You can make it work, however, to do a good install you have to fabricate/machine a neoprene spacer to be placed under the new pump. This is something that you don't do overnight, therefore, if you want to do it right you are going to be down for a while.

You also have to flip the terminals on the new pump's connector, if you don't it won't pump (reversed polarity). The 255 gph is the high output pump you find in Summit or Jeggs for the Mustang. Last but not least, I have put out over 600 rwhp on the stock pump and I saw no signs of inadequate flow, the a/f responded to jet changes in a linear progression. Before I would change my pump again, I would install the voltage booster circuit the Sean Roe is promoting for use with his SC kit. If you want to do two pumps, you won't do them in the tank.

Maybe someone else who has done this has another solution to mounting an other-than-stock Walbro (255 gph) pump in the bottle.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It isn't difficult to do it your selves on a RT/10. Just follow the instructions in the service manual...no problemo.
Buy a stock pump and ad a Pump A Boost from Kenne Bell, that's the easy way if you plan for minor upgrades in the future. (550-650hp)

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jack, thanks for the response. When I was doing the custom fuel system to my last car it was down for 3 months. In that car I had a new fuel pump bracket fabricated that would hold both 255 walboro's at the right height in the tank. I then added another feed line to the tank lid and had AN fittings brazed to the steal lines. When you say two pumps will not fit are you saying that the tank opening is physically not big enough? If I am willing to fabricate a new bracket could it be made to fit?

I know Sean recommends a boost a pump but that sounds like a band-aid to me. How long can a pump last at increased voltage? I would hate for my pump to give out because it is over taxed. Is my logic faulty or does two pumps seem safer?

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you remove the fuel pump there will be a plastic 5/16 line connecting it to the (fixed) regulator. The hose from the regulator to the chassis (hard line) is 3/8. There is not a return system, the other line is for ventilation. The computer changes the voltage to help regulate the pressure. The pressure may be enough, but how about the fuel volume? Do you think there is enough volume of fuel flowing through those tiny lines to run a modified or supercharged V-10? Is the fixed regulator set at a position to keep up with the engine needs? I did not think so and that is why I made my fuel system upgrade. It might be a slight over-kill, but it will meet any engine fuel needs now or in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth