Replacing upstream O2 sensors...any tips?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find anything on this. I am about to replace my front (before the cat) sensors. I have been getting a code, and Dave at Roe Racing suggested I replace them. I was going to anyway, but now that I am getting a code, I am doing them.

Anyway, is it fairly straightforward? Just jack the car up and remove them and replace it? Any tips to make it quicker/easier? Is it easier to reach down into the engine from standing, or should I get under the car and work up?

I have the two Bosch 13100 sensors already. I will use anti-seize. Thanks.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jack up the car and go from the bottom.
1ST unplug the wires, then I just used a wrench to get them started and took them out by hand.
Hardest part was getting the car up safely.

I am a little odd, but I also used a little silicon wire grease in the 4 contacts for good connection.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I just replaced them, and it was very easy. There's lots of room.

Check out how burnt up my old ones were. Car has 37K miles....
You must be registered for see images

EDIT: The picture *****, but trust me, the tips are a lot whiter than it appears in the picture.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told to use O2's from the dealer, not an aftermarket one.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What reason? An oxygen sensor is a very simple device. Are you trying to tell me that there is an advantage of one over the other???

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i can only tell ya what the wizard told me....dont use anything but a mopar sensor in it. he said in THIS case there is a difference.

how long did it take ya to do ? ? ?

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, until I hear an actual REASON, I am going to have to disagree. I am not doubting his judgement in any way, but I just want to hear some sort of actual real reason....

'bout 30 or 40 minutes, start to finish. Most of the time was spent jacking/lowering the car.