Results of Viper vs. Vette autocross!

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today (3/16) four Vipers and six Z06 Corvettes met in battle at the Middle Georgia region SCCA autocross. Participating from Viper Forum were me, Ryan, Tony and Linh (Achilles99). All of the Z06's had modifications (intake and exhaust, mostly). Everyone was on street tires except Tony.
On the way down, we caravaned with the Corvettes and the radio was buzzing with trash talk. Seems like Corvette guys are still hung up on the idea that Vipers are sub-par autocross cars because Vipers handle so poorly. Bah!
The result: a clean sweep by the Vipers! Tony led the way with a 48-second run. I placed second with a 51.5, Ryan 52.3 and Linh 52.9. All the Corvettes were slower!
Once the official results are posted, we will go over to Corvette Forum and post a link. (Several of the guys there today are CF members).
The Z06 guys were cool, and we had a great time, but most importantly, we struck a blow to the myth that pervades the minds of Corvette owners: the myth of the poor-handling Viper. The Viper is an awesome autocross car.

Post race quote from me: "The Chocolate Starfish Racing Dodge Viper performed great. Michelin gave us great tires and the McDonald's quarter pounder gave me the energy needed for a good run."

I encourage everyone in Georgia to come to these events.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah but the vettes are cheaper

vipers are overpriced, if you used the difference in pricing in mods for the vette it would whoop a viper

a vette has more history

barbie drove a vette

the vette is more comfortable

vipers get hot

the viper has bigger tires

the vette makes more hp/liter

GTSACR2002

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vettes are cheaper...Built
Vipers are only over priced to those who can't afford them
Vettes are history
Barbie was a dizzy blond
vettes are not more comfortable
Vipers are HOT!
Bigger tires...come on
Vettes do make good horsepower
But once you have driven a Viper you will sell all your vettes. I had several vettes and got rid of all but two once I got behind the wheel of my ACR. :eek:

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's with this myth about Vipers not handling well?

Owning both I can tell everyone without a doubt that the Viper handles better than the ZR1. Brakes? Well, not as hot but not horrible either.

Here's what I think - I think it's more : "Vipers are trickier to drive at the limit" which translates down to most Corvette owners as "they don't handle well because most people can't dance on that edge and extract the most out of them".

So, for the folks who perhaps expect a car to do some (or a good portion) of the driving for them, I guess the Viper may just be a little too much car to toss around. ;)

In an event, way to show those GM boys what's what! What kind of times were they running?

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vettes are cheaper...Built
Vipers are only over priced to those who can't afford them
Vettes are history
Barbie was a dizzy blond
vettes are not more comfortable
Vipers are HOT!
Bigger tires...come on
Vettes do make good horsepower
But once you have driven a Viper you will sell all your vettes. I had several vettes and got rid of all but two once I got behind the wheel of my ACR. :eek:

Heh-heh-heh. Nicely put.
You must be registered for see images

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do alot of parking lot racing as well(SCCA) and the M3's run better times than the Z06's. But I beat up on them both.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the PAX number for the ZO6 the same as a Viper? I know a stock C-5 gets a break. I have yet to be beat by a Corvette although I haven't run into a ZO6 yet on the xcross. I have had the fastest time of the day(2 minute course) and still finished 5th, behind some AWD WRX's, a modified AWD Talon, and AWD twin turbo Stealth with a really good driver. The PAX number hurts the Viper when running against AWD cars. I will say that the old runway we run on is starting to break up a little and traction is a definite issue. When you can only get up to 60 MPH(or less) or so and traction is an issue--AWD comes into play. It's the only game in town for me without driving several hundred miles to a better venue. I had another Viper there once last year who has xcrossed a few times--he took 11th. He wasn't happy.

Steve

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the SCCA events I attend both cars fall into SS even the stock C5.

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, all C5's are in Super Stock with all non-ACR Vipers. The ACR's, I think, are in the ASP class, which would give them a PAX penalty vs. a stock Z06. At this event, however, all of the Corvettes were thrown into a modified category because of mods like intake & headers.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the z06's were modded and wouldn't fit in SS. With the Supercharger I was supposed to be in somthing like
E mod. Anyway except for Chris and Linh, Ryan and me and the six Vettes put ourselves in the run what u brung class: street mod......so that we could all run together and compete in the same class. I also had Kumho V700 dot tires on all four corners......my daily tires :) The course had some fast parts but was a little confusing. It was cool riding down the freeway with a bunch of colorful/cool cars but when it came picture time (I saw at least four cameras out of windows) you can guess which cars were getting the attention. I also had FTD (fastest time of the day) until they figured out one of the carts had made one faster run than mine. Darn kids :mad:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You failed to mention all of the Z06 guys were first timers. LOL Sounds like fun was had by all though. Congrats on the victory...

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think ALL of the Z06's were first timers, and even some of the "first timers" were experienced road racers. If we want to go down that road, though, this was Ryan's second autocross (I think) and Linh's third in the Viper (Probably 6th or 7th autocross ever).
Myself, I am not a particularly good driver (I rate myself as a solid intermediate).

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah but the vettes are cheaper
vipers are overpriced, if you used the difference in pricing in mods for the vette it would whoop a viper
a vette has more history
barbie drove a vette
the vette is more comfortable
vipers get hot
the viper has bigger tires
the vette makes more hp/liter

Snorevette - that's what I call'em. Plain - yet overly complex, made for the average Joe - everybody has a vette. Everybody - they are as plain and common as a cold.

A Viper's special, meaner, rawer, and hell of a lot more fun!!!

I realize this is a just my opinion, however, there's just too much evidence that a Viper gets the attention, can whoop a vette, and bang for the buck more of a car than anything over $100K.....

Hell guys - the new 50th Aniversary Vette is going for $66K sticker!!! $66K - Yes almost $70K - same engine as before - just a 50th aniversary sticker. When you say a Vette is cheaper - I assume you mean in build - cause it ain't necessarily price anymore :p

Vettes are good cars and all American. I consider them a brother to the Viper - just the "little" brother ;) ;) ;)

Let the facts speak for themselves - Great job at the autocross........

Vettes are cool, but Vipers RULE!!!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, all C5's are in Super Stock with all non-ACR Vipers.

I stand corrected on the classification. I was sure I saw a different class for the stock C-5 last year. The first year I ran, I was in the ASP class. They now have me in SS, but I should probably be in the ASP class with headers and now this year, a VEC1. I don't argue with the SS category because of the traction issue where I run.

Did the Viper's and the Z06's run with the same PAX number? Surely there were some 'slightly' modified Vipers in the group.

Steve

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, that is quite a list of problems. My wife had an 00 C5 convertible and I had an 01 Z06 and we experienced nothing like that. The Viper is still a better car, for the reasons you stated, though.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine locked up in the steering column (on a holiday; spent my day off waiting on a tow), leaked at the rear diff, oil pump broke, cheap leather on the seating bolsters came undone, radio cd player malfunctioned constantly, and worst of all had an annoying stall when you tried to take off full tilt boogie with that stock weak **** clutch. It could be eliminated by clutch modulation, but then you had to worry about turing off gizmos & scratching the asphalt. With the GTS & a nice firm clutch, all you need to do is engage & gouge. I like that.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
For those of you who could not smell it... The Automotive Marketing Student as you are calling him was in full [SARCASM] mode.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who could not smell it... The Automotive Marketing Student as you are calling him was in full [SARCASM] mode.

Correct.....Craig is a Viper nut....I think he was "jus kiddin around" I do that sometimes and then the $hit flies.
I don't know the experience of the Z06 guys but in the last 15 years I have autocrossed 5 times.....3 were in my Viper. The Z06 guys were great and we had a blast.....a little smack talk in fun but I made new friends......and thats what its about. Lets not not start to much crap and piss them off. They have great cars too.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive a kia.

from now on when the text is <font color="blue">BLUE</font> I am being sarcastic :laugh:
<font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue">Its about time !!! :) </font>

Maybe this will be better: <font color="blue">Its </font> <font color="white"> ab</font> <font color="blue">o</font> <font color="white">ut</font> <font color="blue">time</font> since I am fond of blue/wht stripes

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
........ Lets not not start to much crap and piss them off. They have great cars too.

Of course, but we all know our limitations....... As a Viper owner - I know it's limitations and it's pluses. It's just good fun.

However, if we really can "start too much crap and piss them off" - then it must all be true....

<font color="blue">Everybody knows that the truth hurts..... </font> :D

Was that the right color? :D :D :D