Right half-shaft

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: Noticed a clicking on the right side when under torque from stop. Found it was the right half-shaft.
Part Number: 4642306 916917-0616 "04 Nov 93 08:28 AM"

I would like an OE half-shaft but are they available?...any recommendations?....in the Toronto, Ontario area?

Thx in advance.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also suspect u-joint Tom x 2 (Zeus's name is also Tom). Seizing of a u-joint can have clicking symptoms. The Viper rear end halfshaft geometry is not an ideal design for u-joint durability and they can seize up prematurely.
Regards,
Mike

OP
OP
Z

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing I thought and they checked (and very thoroughly I must say) was the U-joints. They took the shaft off first and put it back thinking it had to be something other than the U-joint. Then they determined it was the splines when they held the shaft (by hand) while on hoist with hand-brake on while someone in the car applied torque.
Should I question it again?...
Has anyone ever had half-shaft splines cause symptoms like this?:dunno:

Again the clicking noise sounds distinctly like a torque wrench clicking. Only happens from a stop, then two or three clicks (loud clicks though) and then none after your moving or accelerating further.

Thx again,
Tom

Steve17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 06 was also making a noise like that on initial acceleration from stop and dealer tech could not find. I changed the rear oil (I used Chrysler oil and friction modifier but would recommend using Royal Purple's with friction modifier already in oil as mixing it and putting in rear is messy even with a gear oil pump) and torqued all mounting and suspension bolts and problem went away.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 06 was also making a noise like that on initial acceleration from stop and dealer tech could not find. I changed the rear oil (I used Chrysler oil and friction modifier but would recommend using Royal Purple's with friction modifier already in oil as mixing it and putting in rear is messy even with a gear oil pump) and torqued all mounting and suspension bolts and problem went away.

That makes the most sense and is an easy what-if.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I blew mine out, there was a clicking when I turned corners. I gather I damaged it on the first run and when I did my second one....crunch... I would consider checking the U joints again. Also curious, have you done any racing in the last while that may have casued that? More speifically, wheel hop?

When looking at the shaft, does it look like it is a little twisted or like the shaft is a bit shorter than it should be?

As for a new one, I got mine out of the US. Was still cheaper than what they wanted here in Ontario.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might also grab the big end of the halfshaft. I could not see, but by feeling it I could tell it was oval, no longer round. No dramatic twisting up of the shaft like the big HP guys.

While the spline in the halfshaft could be looser than when new, it does not make sense that it makes more than one click. You would think it goes from sloppy to making contact in one motion, not several.

Your Gen 1 has the long torque arm up to the transmission mount. Check the torque of the two large bolts holding the torque arm to the differential. Lift up the transmission end of the arm and see if the rubber bushing has worn or squished out. Perhaps the transmission mount needs torquing up, too. The three legs that hold the differential case are the torque arm and the two mounts at the ends of the differential cover. Might as well torque those too, and then you've checked all differential attaching points.

OP
OP
Z

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed it (with fresh Mopar end of last season)

OP
OP
Z

ZEUS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is excellent info guys. I'll print page, and get my mechanic to look at some of these other possibilities.
Tom, you're right about the idea of splines clicking beyond once on acceleration--- that doesn't make sense, does it? Otherwise I will re-torque all those other areas.
Robert (Mopar boy), my car has never seen a track. But on occasion I like fresh sticky pavement to feel the rush :slomo:! If in fact it is the shaft, I'll follow your lead and get mine ordered stateside.

I guess I'll have to look at my shaft a little more closely----:omg: oh no, I didn't just write that?!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or ... buy one of the three I have? Gen 2 same as Gen 1?

I also have some 800hp Unitrax shafts.

PM me

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
smaller diameter replacement Dana/Eaton (?) rear axle shafts with 50 miles? Equal strength with less weight

You must be registered for see images

replacement beside Unitrax 800hp axleshaft.

You must be registered for see images

Unitrax uses thicker/stronger materials. Weight difference is about 4# each. I bought 1000hp titanium axles for my car and now have 5 extras.

Gen 1 and Gen2 are the same while Gen 3 uses the CV joints ... right? I'm not the greatest on Gen 1 knowledge.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang