Right window noisy at speed

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a problem with my GTS's right window: when I reach 280 kph (175 mph) the window slips out of the door seal and the noise is unbearable. I already checked: seals, hood / door alignment, clousure of the window. Everything seems ok to me. I even tryed to close the intake of air in the cabin to reduce cabin pressure, but to no avail. Did anybody experience the same or have any tip??
Viper stranded in Italy

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Claudio:

>>>I have a problem with my GTS's right window: when I reach 280 kph (175 mph) the window slips out of the door seal and the noise is unbearable. I already checked: seals, hood / door alignment, clousure of the window. Everything seems ok to me. I
even tryed to close the intake of air in the cabin to reduce cabin pressure, but to no avail. Did anybody experience the same or have any tip?? Viper stranded in Italy<<<

I had the same problem - above 250 km/h the passenger window "POPED OUT", a very loud "BANG" like a jet - you need a ViperTech to adjust the door.

BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
C

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Markus, it seems you have a '99 like me, right? What is Chrysler doing in Germany about the recall I am reading about on this forum?? At date I had no word from them here!!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do your vents at the rear have anything in front of them blocking them? The vents at the rear are used to equalize the pressure at high speeds. Some people put speakers, etc. in there not knowing that they are potentially staring at a problem at high speeds..

Gerald

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Claudio: I have a 99 GTS!

Check the alignment of the door - after adjusting the door, no more "poped out" windows.

Recall: My DC dealer planned to check my car today.
However, DC-Germany (Berlin) told him that DC would like to check/repair ALL German Vipers in ONE place (rumors)...up to now I have NOT received an official recall...

GonaBite: A new Audi RS6 (450hp) tried to beat me yesterday on the autobahn - no chance for him - "unfortunately" the new Audi is limited to 250 km/h...
BURNOUT.gif

Reaction score
Markus:
Can you share any more details on how the door needs to be adjusted? Several of us Viper guys at the recent Nevada Open Road Challenge (Silverstate) noted the same thing. At about 155mph and up, the right window starts howling -- The right window on 3 different cars. Why the right one, and not the left? Doesn't seem to be a vent thing.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Though I haven't checked myself, as I understand it the flaps in the back actually have an adhesive on them so they pop only when the cabin is violently overpressurized by the airbag inflation. Perhaps if you removed the adhesive the car would vent normally though a side effect could be road noise or car wash water infiltration.</FONT f>

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkusReinhardt:
Claudio: I have a 99 GTS!
GonaBite: A new Audi RS6 (450hp) tried to beat me yesterday on the autobahn - no chance for him - "unfortunately" the new Audi is limited to 250 km/h...
BURNOUT.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Markus--

How did he do up till the limit? 450HP is a LOT for an audi! Yikes!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters. This is definitely a 'cockpit pressurization' syndrome. 96-7 had the most restrictive vent blockers (to keep out dust and bugs, and release airbag expansion pressure) Some rear hatches even blew in 1997!

There is also a .75" (2cm) 'window keeper' plasticized metal tab on the outer weatherstrip, about 9-10 inches (22cm) up each window post. It is located near the top-to-window-post seam.

If you CAREFULLY bend this tab toward the body, about 2mm or so,(with the window lowered of course) you strengthen this keeper's ability to hold the window in. Dont bend it too much, as it can obstruct a full-up window. And carefully bend only the outer portion of the tab.

P.S. I have also found that the window mechanism 'settles' with mileage, esp on rough roads. After driving a while, and before you plan a burst of speed, especially if you have this problem.....tap the window lift UP button again. You'll hear the 'set' as it rises another mm or 2.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MarkusReinhardt:

However, DC-Germany (Berlin) told him that DC would like to check/repair ALL German Vipers in ONE place (rumors)...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wie gehts Markus

Why don't we call DC and see if they would like to fly the "Wizard" over to do all of the Recalls?!
yesnod.gif
[DC
shake.gif
]

I want some real "Spaetzle & Bier"!
Bags are packed!
BURNOUT.gif

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definetely check the vents, and boy it must be nice to be able to drive at 175 so often to have to worry about this, I do not get that opportunity very often like once a year maybe.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck:

&gt;&gt;&gt;Why don't we call DC and see if they would like to fly the "Wizard" over to do all of the Recalls?! [DC]
I want some real "Spaetzle & Bier"! Bags are packed!&lt;&lt;&lt;
Come over! NY-MUC is an 8h flight only. At least for a few days.
We will have GREAT fun.

DC: I wonder how DC is handling the recalls on our VIPERS...?
I support your idea to fly in some VIPER-GURUS
laugh.gif
from USA! In case you may need my help to talk to the DC car guys in Berlin, call me.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg:
At first, I tried to adjust the door, however I had no chance to do it correct - to many ways the door can be tilted, rotated, etc.
My ViperTech has done it perfectly - the doors (both) close much better than before and no more window "poping".

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toddt:
&gt;&gt;&gt;How did he do up till the limit? 450HP is a LOT for an audi! Yikes&lt;&lt;&lt;

He did good, but not good enough...
BURNOUT.gif

First he passed another AUDI (max. speed around 230 km/h) and than the SNAKE came and .....vvvvvvvrrrrrooooooooommmmmm!

Can you imagine the sound (HF-cats and Corsa)?
WOT in 5th gear at more than 5000 rpm ...

OP
OP
C

Claudio Ferraroni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to you all guys, especially to Markus. My vents are "standard", did not use them for any pourpose, I guess pressure should flow through. I hope someone at Chrysler is raeding this: it seems the problem to be frequent to right doords only !! The guys installing right doors there are LISTENING?? Concerning recall Markus keep me posted if you have time. . . feel kind of lonely here and no sign of Vipertechs.
I will try to beg his appareance someday here, and let you know.

Hey Gonabite, it's just a matter of balls. . . I risk my driving licence everytime here. . . speed limit being 87,5 miles p. h. !!

That new Audi is a nightmare pal!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang