RIP: 2004 Black Viper 10/18/2003 - 3/25/2007

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<font color="gray">O B I T U A R I E S</font>

RIP: 2004 Black Viper 10/18/2003 ~ 3/25/2007

Blackie the Viper also affectionately called the “Giggler” by its owner’s wife suddenly and very tragically died last Saturday night in a horrific and fiery crash. She miraculously leaves behind a mourning owner and his wife, who are both now home from the hospital, but not any salvageable parts. Blackie led a full life and had many friends as she attended gatherings with the Atlanta, Miami, and Central Texas Viper Clubs including many joyous rides, dyno days, and holiday parties. She was truly a special part of the family and enjoyed being pampered with frequent hand polishing -- she will be sorely missed. Blackie will be replaced (but never forgotten) by a 2006 Viper coupe that will be arriving at its new home once brought to the appropriate performance standard by a notable tuner.

Out of respect for Blackie, please do not distribute the pictures as they are copyrighted and all rights are reserved.

You must be registered for see images

<font color="gray"> RIP: 2004 VIPER, Black</font>

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 people got out of that...alive???? WOW!! Somebody was saying their prayers. Hope they have a full recovery and get to enjoy the new one. What happened in this accident? It looks like something big fell on the car.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As always, thank goodness the people involved are safe. RIP to the Viper, in the grand scheme of things, it is 'just' a car, can be replaced. Our best to the victims here. mike &amp; juli

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a trunk/decklid in good shape, it looks like that may be the only part that did not get wrecked in this crash, is it in good shape and can you sell? lease PM me or email me if yes,

Steve

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss, glad you're OK.

I'd like to see Dodge put a true roll bar on that vert.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it a roll over? If so, did the roll hoops hold up? Can't really tell in the picture...but glad you were okay.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite a wreck Snakeeye.Glad you are ok. What happened? Did that occur here in town?

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad that you and Doreen are okay (relativly speaking). It is a miracle. Good thing your guardian angels were driving Vipers as well.

OP
OP
S

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It happened in Austin… not completely sure what component failed jettisoning us 40 degrees into a 6 inch curb on a 65 mph thoroughfare and further into an embankment. The car flipped then rolled violently several times landing on its roof (neither the hoops nor the windshield frame held up) and then caught on fire. I was knocked unconscious. My wife crawled out of her window opening (the windows were open) and went to my side of the car. Part of the door panel came off in her hand as she tried in vain to open it to get me out. There were 5 foot flames coming from the engine area. She ran back to her side of the car and crawled back in to unbuckle my seat belt and pulled me out. As it turned out, an ambulance was enroute to a minor call, saw the flames, and redirected. We were transported by ambulance to the trauma center downtown. I was hospitalized for 4 days with head, neck and back injuries along with numerous lacerations …. While my wife was hurt, she faired a bit better.

Thank you for all your well wishes.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It happened in Austin… not completely sure what component failed jettisoning us 40 degrees into a 6 inch curb on a 65 mph thoroughfare and further into an embankment. The car flipped then rolled violently several times landing on its roof (neither the hoops nor the windshield frame held up) and then caught on fire. I was knocked unconscious. My wife crawled out of her window opening (the windows were open) and went to my side of the car. Part of the door panel came off in her hand as she tried in vain to open it to get me out. There were 5 foot flames coming from the engine area. She ran back to her side of the car and crawled back in to unbuckle my seat belt and pulled me out. As it turned out, an ambulance was enroute to a minor call, saw the flames, and redirected. We were transported by ambulance to the trauma center downtown. I was hospitalized for 4 days with head, neck and back injuries along with numerous lacerations …. While my wife was hurt, she faired a bit better.

Thank you for all your well wishes.

Your wife is a keeper, but I'm sure you're well aware of that... especially after her heroics. Brings a tear to my eye. We're all praying for a swift recovery for you and your wife. Hope to see you back in a snake soon!

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warfang glad to hear you and your wife survived. On 3-31-07 my RT/10 is now in Viper Heaven. Look on the events and post that says "It wasn't my Time" Car you can always get another one YOU and your WIFE..PRICELESS...
Take care my friend, Adrian

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warfang glad to hear you and your wife survived. On 3-31-07 my RT/10 is now in Viper Heaven. Look on the events and post that says "It wasn't my Time" Car you can always get another one YOU and your WIFE..PRICELESS...
Take care my friend, Adrian

Adrian.... not my story.... it's SnakeEye that wrecked. Glad you're ok as well.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote The car flipped then rolled and then caught on fire. I was knocked unconscious.

[/QUOTE]

It's hard to call yourself "lucky" after being subjected to something like that; however, I would certainly gain a new outlook on life, if it happened to me!

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so your car just suddenly took a 40 degree turn all on it's own?? Was it a bad part of the road that caught you? you know how Vipers handle with their wide tires on a rutted road...
When you find out if anything failed PLEASE let us know.
Glad you both survived.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It happened in Austin… not completely sure what component failed jettisoning us 40 degrees into a 6 inch curb on a 65 mph thoroughfare and further into an embankment. The car flipped then rolled violently several times landing on its roof....

Could be a combination of the aftermarket wheels and the steering control arm.

Here's something similar on the Audi produced Murcie (notes toward the end talk about different problems that could result in such an action)

http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghini_murcielago_crash.html

-J

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like a horrific month for VCA members. I'm thrilled to read that everyone has survived some wicked accidents! We should all give thanks for that!

Just so it doesn't get lost in the frightening recount of the accident, neither the windshield nor the "hoops" can be counted on to hold up in a rollover on a Gen 3. I'm not suggesting a defect by any means, just a caution to Gen 3 owners.

My thoughts are with you and your heroic better half, SnakEye, for a fast and full recovery!

lABrit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like a horrific month for VCA members. I'm thrilled to read that everyone has survived some wicked accidents! We should all give thanks for that!

Just so it doesn't get lost in the frightening recount of the accident, neither the windshield nor the "hoops" can be counted on to hold up in a rollover on a Gen 3. I'm not suggesting a defect by any means, just a caution to Gen 3 owners.

My thoughts are with you and your heroic better half, SnakEye, for a fast and full recovery!

That's quite worrying actually. I'm not usually THAT concerned with safety, but after seeing this car mixed with that statment it is giving me second thoughts about buying... :shocked: :eek:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you are okay. Your wife is amazing!! Good luck with recovery!! Now that you know how Vipers react in accidents, would you buy another one? I am very intrigued to see what you think.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before my comment is misinterpreted to mean more than intended, let me add one thing. I hear and see many owners refer to the "hoops" as roll bars. My only point is that they were never intended to completely protect occupants in the rare event of a roll over (as would a roll bar specifically designed for that purpose).

OP
OP
S

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you are okay. Your wife is amazing!! Good luck with recovery!! Now that you know how Vipers react in accidents, would you buy another one? I am very intrigued to see what you think.

Yes, my wife is definitely amazing. :nana:
We already have a 2006 Viper Coupe on its way ....

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, my wife is definitely amazing. :nana:
We already have a 2006 Viper Coupe on its way ....

Congrats! Looking forward to pics! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang