Road Race setup questions

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got adjustable height Konis on my 2000 GTS with rebound adjustment. I just had the car aligned, corner balanced and bump steer done.

Running at willowsprings last weekend I changed tires/rims. I have a smaller front 285 now vs 315. I was able to trim about 2 seconds off my previous best.

However, my car is pushing (understeering) alot....I mean...ALOT. I watched the incar video and you can hear the tires screaming at every corner. I had a hell of a time getting it to turn, especially on the faster corners.

So the question is what should I adjust...fronts or rears and do I go up or down?

Thanks,
Carl

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steady state understeer isn't shock related, it's roll stiffness related. Shocks only impact that type of balance when you're transferring weight around (into a corner, out of a corner, etc.) So if you don't go back up on tire size in the front, you will want to run less front roll stiffness (lighter spring or looser swaybar) or more in the rear (heavier spring or swaybar). An adjustable swaybar is really the easiest way to impact steady-state balance, assuming you're at all in the ballpark and have everything else pretty close.

This all assumes you have the alignment nailed and don't want to raise or lower either end of the car (as you'd need to get it cornerweighted again).

Good luck.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Irid.
Woodhouse sells an adjustable sway bar that I have set softer than stock up front to help with this.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Caster is at 5.8 and 5.9. I really don't want to corner weigh the car again. I don't have the scales. I'm going back to the track in a couple of weeks, perhaps I'll put the 315s back on for that weekend and see.

Thanks,
Carl

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not enough. I'd add a half-degree on each end.

When running narrow fronts, you need to compensate with rear steer. Let the fronts dance lightly on corner exit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang