Road racing tire question

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody here used the new Hoosier R100 on the track yet? They cost about $340 more then the Hoosier R6 for a set of 4. I'm wondering about the level of grip and the wear on a set of 4 that is about $2,000 shipped 345/18 and 315/18 are the sizes. Tire rack is not carrying the R100 you have to do direct to a Hoosier distribution facility to get hem, here in Cali it's in Fresno.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have not heard great things about the tire. Supposedly the grip is better than an R6 but not close to the Michelin. I have also heard that there has been quite a large amount of tire failures with them.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like a quick note to David P. would answer your questions ,as he has driven on both. All I heard is that they are a bit stickier but wear faster, and that the next PS Cups will likely be more aggressive also.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To those that have driven both.....

Which do you like better, Michelin "ACRX spec" slick or R100s?

Thanks

:eater:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I haven't tried them, the Michelins are a 'one lap wonder' according to everyone I've talked to...The R100s are a full race slick, used extensively in NASA and SCCA, and they have a softer sidewall than the R6 so I imagine if you get a puncture or cut they are more prone to major failure than an R6. They fall off quicker than the R6, but are faster initially.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Rumor has it (from a friend and fast guy who has driven his ACR on both), R100 is about 2 seconds faster and lasts about 1/2 as long.

Will find out sometime soon.

Dan

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The R100 are magnificant, the grip level is unbelievable. We started using them at NARRA this past year and my lap times on average dropped 3-5 second per lap at various tracks. They last about as long as the old VCA slicks we have been using from Hoosier for years. We usually get a full weekend use out of a set and then use them for practice all day Friday for the next event. That translates to about ten heat cycles. They are still good for weekend track use at that time but not for competitve use. In other words they still have good grip but not enough for best race times. My guess would be they will give you about 15 heat cycles depending on the specific track. Some track surfaces are just brutal on tires and they "WEAR OUT" before the grip gives out. The grip is VERY comparable to the Michelins and they come in more appropriate sizes for Vipers. The Michelin slick they use in the Dodge Viper Cup works very well but requires a different set up given that the rear Michelin is SOOOO tall.

Try the R100's you will not be disappointed.

Steve Loudin
USGT #007
3 time National Champion GT-2 Class

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The R100 are magnificant, the grip level is unbelievable. We started using them at NARRA this past year and my lap times on average dropped 3-5 second per lap at various tracks. They last about as long as the old VCA slicks we have been using from Hoosier for years. We usually get a full weekend use out of a set and then use them for practice all day Friday for the next event. That translates to about ten heat cycles. They are still good for weekend track use at that time but not for competitve use. In other words they still have good grip but not enough for best race times. My guess would be they will give you about 15 heat cycles depending on the specific track. Some track surfaces are just brutal on tires and they "WEAR OUT" before the grip gives out. The grip is VERY comparable to the Michelins and they come in more appropriate sizes for Vipers. The Michelin slick they use in the Dodge Viper Cup works very well but requires a different set up given that the rear Michelin is SOOOO tall.

Steve Loudin
USGT #007

If your running 18" on the rear of an ACR are these tires too tall?

345/690R18 R100 27.3" tall

345/710R18 R100 28.2" tall

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
If your running 18" on the rear of an ACR are these tires too tall?

345/690R18 R100 27.3" tall

345/710R18 R100 28.2" tall

FYI, Hoosier R6 is about 26.8" tall in either 345 x 35 x 18 or 345 x 30 x 19.

OE rear cups are about 27.2" tall.

I'll go with the shorter R100 or 690R18 when I try them but would prefer them shorter if possible.

Not sure what this translates to in width. Anybody?

What sizes are offered for the front?

Dan

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "believe" the ACR-X's are running the stock wheels on the back 19" which is why Miclelin's are so tall. The tires are 27/65/18 fronts, 31/71/19 rears.

Last edited:

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock rear wheels are 19" tall.

The Michelins on the ACR-X are TALL. My first two sets jsut arrived today, so I haven't seen them yet. But the rain tires, which are shorter than the slicks, are taller than the Hoosier DOT A6s I have been using in the 345/35-18 size for the last few years.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve Loudin
USGT #007

The Michelins on the ACR-X are TALL. My first two sets jsut arrived today, so I haven't seen them yet. But the rain tires, which are shorter than the slicks, are taller than the Hoosier DOT A6s I have been using in the 345/35-18 size for the last few years.

Thanks for the info from personal experience... Good luck to both of you this coming year....:headbang:
We'll be watching....

I have two sets of OEM six spokes and two sets of ACR wheels that I use at the track. Seems most experienced track rats recommend 18s all the way around. Obviously using an 11" wheel on the front would accomodate a wider 305 or 315...

Guess I'll have some PC black six spokes for sale....:dunno:

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, Hoosier R6 is about 26.8" tall in either 345 x 35 x 18 or 345 x 30 x 19.

OE rear cups are about 27.2" tall.

I'll go with the shorter R100 or 690R18 when I try them but would prefer them shorter if possible.

Not sure what this translates to in width. Anybody?

What sizes are offered for the front?

Dan

Dan here's the link, scrool to the bottom under radial slicks:

http://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/speccat.pdf

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The R100's we use are as follows; 320/650R18 12"W X 25.8"T (fronts), 355/650R18 13.8W X 25.7"T. Just thought some additioanl information might be helpful.

If any one is interested I know someone that has a set of Michelin ACR-X take offs available. They have 3 heat cycles of them and he will take offers over $600.00 F.O.B. shipping point. If interested send me a PM and I will forward his contact information. I am going on vacation tomorrow(2/4/12) so act fast or it will be a week before you hear back from me.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
So Cal Rebel,

So, where can we buy Hoosier R 100's locally? (So Cal) and what should we pay for them?

Willow Springs is coming up March 3 & 4 with West Coast Racing.

Dan

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Cal Rebel,

So, where can we buy Hoosier R 100's locally? (So Cal) and what should we pay for them?

Willow Springs is coming up March 3 & 4 with West Coast Racing.

Dan

Dan the only place that I know of in Cali is in Fresno, here is the link to them with the sizes of R100's offered and the prices and order form, looks like $2,042 for the sizes mentioned by SCLSSRT[h=1][/h]:

http://www.hoosiertirewest.com/browse.cfm/road-racing-slicks/2,31.html

I'm hoping to be there, I'm in the middle of selling my company, I have a buyer and had hoped it would be a done deal by now, then retire and start showing up to give you a run for your money
:D

Last edited:

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan the only place that I know of in Cali is in Fresno, here is the link to them with the sizes of R100's offered and the prices and order form, looks like $2,042 for the sizes mentioned by SCLSSRT:

http://www.hoosiertirewest.com/browse.cfm/road-racing-slicks/2,31.html

I'm hoping to be there, I'm in the middle of selling my company, I have a buyer and had hoped it would be a done deal by now, then retire and start showing up to give you a run for your money

Looking forward to it.

FYI, we're planning to run Laguna Seca at the end of June with Speed Ventures. Any interest?

Check our local website fore more info on upcoming track events.

Dan

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to it.

FYI, we're planning to run Laguna Seca at the end of June with Speed Ventures. Any interest?

Check our local website fore more info on upcoming track events.

Dan

I will definitely be up for it, I used to run with Speed Ventures a lot when John Wurth ran it, I'm still good buddies with Aaron Bitterman, we used to bet a lot on who would have a better lap time. Hardly was fair, he had a modified S2000 and me my Gen 2 RT/10

I never ran Laguna Seca, what's up with the sound level? I heard they had a roving sound meter, not just a fixed one in turn 4 or 5 I forget. Is it still 92 Db?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

I will definitely be up for it, I used to run with Speed Ventures a lot when John Wurth ran it, I'm still good buddies with Aaron Bitterman, we used to bet a lot on who would have a better lap time. Hardly was fair, he had a modified S2000 and me my Gen 2 RT/10

I never ran Laguna Seca, what's up with the sound level? I heard they had a roving sound meter, not just a fixed one in turn 4 or 5 I forget. Is it still 92 Db?

Sound limit is still an issue at 92 Db. A group of us are working on some possbile remedies for the sound issue. Check the search function on this board for more info.

Bottom line, lift and short shift at certain points or add some type of aftermarket system to make the car quieter if you want to run flat out. Most of us will just lift. We have also been advised to take it easy in the AM if there is any fog as it tends to hold the sound more so than in the PM.

I'll likely install a set of crossovers from one of my Gen III cars onto my 09 ACR for this event just to be sure and pass sound and then take is easy in the morning.

Dan

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
The R100's we use are as follows; 320/650R18 12"W X 25.8"T (fronts), 355/650R18 13.8W X 25.7"T. Just thought some additioanl information might be helpful.

If any one is interested I know someone that has a set of Michelin ACR-X take offs available. They have 3 heat cycles of them and he will take offers over $600.00 F.O.B. shipping point. If interested send me a PM and I will forward his contact information. I am going on vacation tomorrow(2/4/12) so act fast or it will be a week before you hear back from me.

SCLSSRT10,

Those are some pretty wide tires. Will they fit on a lowered 09 ACR without rubbing? Worried a bit about the fronts riding on 11 inch rims.

Dan