Road&Track 1 mile test

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am certainly not a JH fan (I don't forgive and forget easily like others can) but I was happy to see the Henness*y Viper as the top car in the article. 210+ mph is really smokin' in one mile. The thing that bothers me is the results of the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Not just of the Vipers, but in general. They said they tested in the morning to avoid hot temps and the runway was just a little above sea level....
So when I read a stock SRT-10 did 0-60 in 4.4 and the 1/4 mile at 12.5 @116??? Even the Ford GT didn't get into the 11's. A 1000 horsepower SRT that does 11 flat? Some of you guys are running 9's with that kinda power. Maybe they weren't focused on the start, but it seems to me that a good run needs a great launch.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At Southwest zone Rendezvous I learned track conditions play a VERY important roll in 1/4 mile times. With everyone (except for Brian who was amazingly close to a normal time) running about a second slower than normal.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would expect some differences from running on a VHT prepared drag strip, with burn out box etc, as opposed to a standing start on a non prepared surface.
Gearing also that is optimized for 1/4 mile and quick starts may be different from a 1 mile setup.

Congratulations to John for getting the job done.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:eek: wow they were alot slower. if they got 4.4 for the viper 0-60 then there way off(the official 0-60 time for the viper is 3.9). I havent got the magizane yet but what other cars do they test?

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You name it, they ran it.

Lambo Murcielago
2 Vipers (standard SRT-10 and JH twin turbo)
Lola Champ car
Some Italian motorcycle with 173 hp
Ford GT
C6 Vette
Race prepped Jaguar, Pontiac, Audi TT
Supercharged Mustang with 580+ hp
and my favorite the Saleen S7 700+hp and it ran 205mph in the mile. Of course for $575,000 they can keep it.

Runways go in both directions. Why would they run INTO a headwind?
"OK guys, I'm the brains behind this here operation. The wind is blowing south, so how much trouble would it be to drive the cars, lets say 1 mile, to the other end?" :confused:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep,

210 in the mile is very strong.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"OK guys, I'm the brains behind this here operation. :confused:

Hello Mr. Brain :D

What kind of tires were they on......on this unprepared track that probably had it's share of dust/sand etc. on it :2tu:

For reference, the quickest street tire 1/4 mile run I know of is a 10.43 by Tom Welch on a well prepped track at sea level and exceptional air. I know this because I have a 10.54 in the #2 spot :mad:

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, all the times seemed slow. They mentioned them on my board for the Murcielago. Over 21 sec to 150? Normally they are about 19.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still can't figure out why they keep using JH's cars in all these magazine tests. His stuff is nice but rather behind the times these days in the realm of crazy HP vipers. Bring Chads car out, or one of Gary's monsters and you would see something wild. I tend to believe either of those 3 cars would absolutely obliterate that 210mph speed.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My copy came today - very good article, with excellent graphics showing each car tested at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 mile time and speed.
One of the better articles R and T has had lately.
Congrats to JH!

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well the COLOR was right on the front cover :2tu:

SILVER SRT/10 DEAD FRONT AND CENTER :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about why they would use his cars after the magazines report on his less than honest dealings with customers.....

I still can't figure out why they keep using JH's cars in all these magazine tests. His stuff is nice but rather behind the times these days in the realm of crazy HP vipers. Bring Chads car out, or one of Gary's monsters and you would see something wild. I tend to believe either of those 3 cars would absolutely obliterate that 210mph speed.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about why they would use his cars after the magazines report on his less than honest dealings with customers.....

I have asked several of the more reputable tuners why they do not push for getting in the magazines, they had a pretty interesting answer: "Why? my shop is full, I have all the work I can handle. If I ran cars in the mags, I would not be able to deliver my customers the high level of service and satisfaction I do".

The mags only look at the numbers, if they can get the car when they need it, and if they can beat it to a pulp while they have it. They do not care about customer satisfaction, or a companies (lack of) business ethics. Although I personally think a complete article on this person's/business ups and downs, ins and outs, financial dealings, corporate(?) identity, and cutomers issues would make a great read. Sort of like the article MT did on the people selling all the cars that were supposed to be part of an estate, but never really existed. It prooved the gulability of people. Like the saying goes: "A fool and his money are soon parted".

My take on the article, two words: It Broke.

Just like the one that David E drove and caught the back of the car on fire, just like the one Mario drove and the engine caught on fire. Logical excuse, as always.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of tires were they on......on this unprepared track that probably had it's share of dust/sand etc. on it

Correct. There were on an airstrip in California with no "track prep."

John was running 20" PS2 street tires at 34 PSI. Obviously the times show the Viper was VERY traction limited until hooking at 100+ mph.

All the cars were tested on the same day, same approx. times and under the same conditions.

210 MPH in the standing mile is VERY impressive.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And MY take on YOU is that you're a *********. Before you get all sour, I want you to know that I mean that as a sincere compliment. You take all of the nasty stink out, and make it clean again. I'm sure someone here appreciates that. WHY do you find it necessary to bash John every time you get a chance? Can't you drop it??? What did he do to YOU?

PS. Call me sometime, you big thilly goocey gooce! I had so much fun with you at VOI! :eek:
3406155Reverend_Flanders1-med.jpg

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just like the one that David E drove and caught the back of the car on fire, just like the one Mario drove and the engine caught on fire. Logical excuse, as always.

I haven't read the article.

What broke?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He took the air filters off to give a little more power, and the car ingested a pebble. It damaged the impeller shaft on one of the turbos. The car didn't really break. Oh, Jay, how did your car do in the shootout???

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And MY take on YOU is that you're a *********. Before you get all sour, I want you to know that I mean that as a sincere compliment. You take all of the nasty stink out, and make it clean again. I'm sure someone here appreciates that. WHY do you find it necessary to bash John every time you get a chance? Can't you drop it??? What did he do to YOU?

Because he owes a friend of mine over $120,000. After completely botching up his car, this is what he was awarded by the courts. Because I STILL get a call approximately every six months from another Viper owner who took their car to the "little shop of horrors" because of some magazine article, and got a car back that does not run on pump gas. Every one of these people is a Viper family member to me.... When the people that are legally owed money, are all paid and the calls stop for a few years, I'll quit bringing it up, seem fair to you?

Maybe with your tremendous reverence and obvious clout with this individual, you can get Gary his $120,000.... it would be a start. Any assistance would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 1 question.

What in the blue hell was going on in that pic and who was who? lol

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all of the bad that H has done he has brought more positive attention to the Vipers than anyone else. I can't think of any other Viper performance shop that has had the magazine coverage, including covers that John has. The amount of coverage he has received would have cost DC hundreds of thousands or probably millions.

So though I feel bad for the customers he has hurt, I feel good about the positive influence on the Viper aura, and the customers that have been satisfied (and there are quite a few on that side as well).

I know of no other tuner that has received the negatives that the VCA has given [*****]. I mean look how we have to spell his name here to prevent asterisks. And I am sure all of the tuners have had a customer with a bad experience somewhere along the line. So why is that? Is it because of a specific rule that was broken? A rule written after the fact to punish him, or was it because he hurt "important" people or those with connections to the VCA board? I am still aghast that his name is outlawed here. What if there was another person in the world with the same name, do they receive similar treatment. I mean I can type names like ****** and it does not get asterisked out.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree I think his name should be allowed to be spelled properly, thats not saying that screwing people is ok because its not but to not even mention his name?? little far fetched at best.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said above: When the club members that are legally owed money are all paid, and the calls stop for a few years, we will all live happily ever after, and this episode of "Day's of Our Vipers" will end. I would love to see this more than anyone because that would mean when a person took their car to his shop, they would leave getting what they were told they would get, for the price they were quoted, when they were promised it! Until then [*****] will be what people see around here.

By the way, I had to laugh when I ran across posts on the Turbo Diesel Club Forums with references to [*****] and [*****]. It was nice to know they have the exact same issues. I'm sure the folks that run that site get the same stuff I do......

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just have 1 question, doesen't anyone think that bleeping out the name would just make it hard if not impossible for new members (or members that don't know what happend) to see all the "screw jobs" that have gone on over the years?? and dont you think if they DON'T know that could be worse and in fact cause more "screw jobs"?

I think people should know to prevent future crap from going on

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I take it you and you alone are the VCA rule maker? So what if another tuner or Viper parts place screwed me. Would you ban them until I was completely satisfied (i.e. until all money was paid and then a few years)? For example I purchased a Paxton from a tuner that made promises, including software and improved programming, that he did not fulfill. Should I ask that the vendor be banned as well. Or would that be fruitless because I am not in the "in" VCA crowd and just a commoner?

Damn I thought this was a club of individuals and not a dictatorship. Also happy my name is not [*****] as you would not allow me to place my name in a signature.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I take it you and you alone are the VCA rule maker? So what if another tuner or Viper parts place screwed me. Would you ban them until I was completely satisfied (i.e. until all money was paid and then a few years)? For example I purchased a Paxton from a tuner that made promises, including software and improved programming, that he did not fulfill. Should I ask that the vendor be banned as well. Or would that be fruitless because I am not in the "in" VCA crowd and just a commoner?

Damn I thought this was a club of individuals and not a dictatorship. Also happy my name is not [*****] as you would not allow me to place my name in a signature.

It is a decision that was made by the clubs National officers, I'm just the one that takes the baloney when it hits the fan. I do agree with the decision 110%, and based on the meeting held in January, there will be formal wording voted on to be added to the clubs by-laws to cover "Supplier Issues". It may be as it is now, or something different. One other supplier is not to be promoted either, but he does not have the people posting to try and promote him either... so it really never has some up with them.

We have worked through MANY situations exactly like you mention here. We take the time to speak with both paries to try to facilitate a solution. Most of the time we succeed. With the topic of this discussion, sadly, we usually fail.

Stugots, you are right, this is a problem with this method. Hopefully the proposed bylaw change will do something that would make it possible to "warn" new readers of potentially problematic vendors. The balancing actis how do you do that without putting the club in a potential legal battle. The current method just says the vendors name will be blanked out. So no good or bad would be discussed, equal treatment so to speak. Based on this, maybe this thread should have been immediately deleted?

If people go to a site about a particular car, and expect to find all sorts of things about a Tuner they have read about that works on that car, and find nothing, this certainly should turn on a red light, don't you think??

As for the signature thing, Guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Right now several owners of his cars do list those cars in their signatures: Venom this or Venom that.....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, I am sorry you just do not get it. And probably never will. It is one thing to ban an individual or company from advertising here (though your "rules" should be clear to all and applied equally without prejudice). It is another level to ban the person from posting on the web site. But it is over the line to prohibit others from typing the individual's or company's name.

Can you imagine a school that would disallow text books from stating the name of the bad guys? You do not have to imagine, you can go to places like North Korea if you want to experience that type of freedom of speach (or the USSR a few years back). I think this board should play by reasonable rules, applied equally, that are consistent with the societal norms. Your norm would be punishment to those who whisper his name, for fear that mere mention of the name will create new customers. Give the web populace a bit more credit.