Road & Track says 3.9 sec 0-60 for 911S ??

Flyviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New R&T says 911 Carrera S with 355 hp and weighing 3300 pounds will do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds but says the Viper at 120 pounds more and 145 hp more will take 4.0 seconds. I'm no expert on Porsches but something doesn't seem exactly right here. I realize the twin turbo'd Porsches are extremely fast but a naturally aspirated 345 horse Carrera ?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the SRT requires a shift to reach 60. Not sure about the 911.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't this car have AWD? I ran one on some not very good roads (a little sand left over from winter) and he beat me pretty good from a stop. He hooked and went, I spinned no matter how I modulated the throttle. His didn't sound stock (loud), but I figured I would destroy him based on his specs. Didn't happen. Mind you, no 0-60 - there was so much wheelspin and the outcome was so obvious at that point that I just got out of it. It would be interesting to see what would happen on a decent surface.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not seem where you got your information from but Porsche has 3 vehicles for the next generation 997 models.
Here are some of the specs. I have driven all of them and I don't think you need to fear the Carerra S models outdoing the Viper.

3 Models are as follows.
The 325-hp 3.6-liter dohc 24v horizontally opposed 6-cylinder ( base Carerra ) . The 355-hp 3.8-liter dohc 24v horizontally opposed 6-cylinder ( Carerra S ) and the 444-hp 3.6-liter dohc 24v turbocharged horizontally opposed 6-cylinder3.8-liter dohc 24v H6 ( Turbo S Models ) .The Carrera S is powered by a 3.8-liter boxer six, delivering 350 horsepower and 295p

Engine 3.8-liter, flat-6.Power 355 hp at 6,600 rpm
Torque 295 ft lbs at 4,600 rpm
Zero-to-60 time 4.6 seconds
Top speed 182 mph
Transmission 6-speed manual
Wheelbase 92.5 inches
Curb weight 3,131 pounds

Also the AWD is only available on the Turbo models. The Base and S Carerra's have rear engine rear wheel drive only.

Hope this clarifies some confusion.
Cheers
Patrick

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Viper and the Turbo 911. The Turbo 911 is a dog off the line (tip)but would pull a low 4 sec 0-60 and is 4WD. I cant break the tires lose on the 911 at all. Anyone who can't go through gears on a Viper will lose to the Turbo 911..... at least until 120 or so.....

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
FYI, stock "geared - 3.07s" and "tired - 27.4 inches tall Michelins" SRT-10's go 0 to 60 all in first gear, without a shift. Publications quotes vary from 3.8 to 4.0 seconds. In any case, you will kill any stock N/A 911 and you will kill the turbo from a roll. Add headers, K&N's and 3.55's and you'll really kill them.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine goes 59 mph at 6050 rpm in 1st (at fuel shut-off). Stock gears and tires. The rolling radius nets 757 rev/mile (see Tire Rack Specs ). To reach 60 mph you must get to 6180 rpm. Mine hits fuel shut-off at 6050 rpm.

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Road and Crack errr Track is nothing more that a dichotomy of clueless twits with driving abilities nearly as poor as their literary skills. If you're out camping and are out of toilet paper and want some nice, wide pieces of scrap paper to wipe your ass after you defecate, Road and Track can't be beat. But if you are actually looking to read something that contains even a miniscule fleck of valuable information, look elsewhere.

OP
OP
F

Flyviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with you TCKTPLZ but I was curious to see if anyone would actually defend their numbers.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-60 means nothing...

0-120, 0-150 or roll-ons to these speeds are the true indicator of performance. Unless you do your racing in first gear only....

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have both a 2004 SRT-10 and a 2005 Carrera S.
The Porsche needs another 100 hp to keep up with the Viper. The 997S does have a steep 1st gear which makes it feel pretty strong, but it wont keep up with the Viper in a straight line.
R&T must have been really beating on that car to hit those times. (or they had a ringer) There has been a bunch of discussion regarding those figures on Rennlist.com
Also the C2S is rear wheel drive. The just released C4 and C4S are AWD.
When the new 997 GT3 is released early next year, the Viper will have some pretty stout competition on the street and on the track.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both a 2004 SRT-10 and a 2005 Carrera S.
The Porsche needs another 100 hp to keep up with the Viper. The 997S does have a steep 1st gear which makes it feel pretty strong, but it wont keep up with the Viper in a straight line.
R&T must have been really beating on that car to hit those times. (or they had a ringer) There has been a bunch of discussion regarding those figures on Rennlist.com
Also the C2S is rear wheel drive. The just released C4 and C4S are AWD.
When the new 997 GT3 is released early next year, the Viper will have some pretty stout competition on the street and on the track.

Absolutely agree!!!!
Nicely put

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 997S posts pretty impressive 0-60mph times because 1) At 3,300 lbs. it is relatively light 2) It uses fairly wide and very grippy lightweight low profile non run-flat tires and, most importantly, 3) The weight of the engine in the back naturally helps press the driven tires into the ground for enhanced grip on launch.

But as onerareviper accurately observed 0-60mph times are largely meaningless today. It should also be noted that even R&T observes that the margin of "victory" for the 997S falls within a statistical margin that makes the Viper's 0-60 mph acceleration results identical. In the 997S' case the best analysis of acceleration is to look at the 1/4 mile time (12.3 secs.) and, more importantly, the trap speed (114.8mph) which gives you the best picture of things. The Viper posted a 12.1 sec. time at a telling 119mph. While the ET was within probability margins the trap speed was clearly not. Stock for stock a 997S cannot hope to take an SRT-10 from a real world roll-on.

That said, I would avoid goading the upcoming AWD 997 Turbo into a 1/4 mile race. Strangely, though the European makes like to make fun of American cars as unsophisticated straight line drag racers the very nature of the Porsche 911 actually makes it the better 1/4 mile drag car while American cars like the Vette and Viper have braking and handling evolved to the point that they can, as was recently demonstrated by Road and Track, defeat Porsches on the racetrack. :usa:

Stranger and stranger.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been spectulation about the release of a 997 GT3 but I think the cars rumored to be the GT3 we actual just the aero package for the 997S. I could be wrong.

They only way they could possibly get those numbers is by dumping the clutch. The car bites since the engine is over the rear wheels. I had a 2002 911 with 320 hp. it ran a 4.7.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned a 2002 c2 for three years and must say the car is top quality fit and finish and is rock solid. However it never gave me that feeling I get every time i jump behind the wheel of my Mamba. The 911 lacks the sheer power and raw sensation a true sports car should give you. In my opinion it is over refined...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
arent they just glorified VWS anyway?

:rolleyes:

I agree with you Mercy but visually I never could avoid the little resemblance between the two. Of course they are lightyears away from each other in execution and performance not to mention status..

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least now it looks like a 911 again. Hard to beat a
911 TT as an all around sports car. The air cooled one.
IMO.

Herc

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned a 2002 c2 for three years and must say the car is top quality fit and finish and is rock solid. However it never gave me that feeling I get every time i jump behind the wheel of my Mamba. The 911 lacks the sheer power and raw sensation a true sports car should give you. In my opinion it is over refined...

Did you ever try a GT3? Never drove one myself, but only heard positive reviews from those who have....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang