ROAD TRIP

Trailertrash

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I live in Indiana. I have driven my 2000 GTS to New York and just last year down to Key West Florida. All without any kind of issue. I am planning a trip to California just to drive down PC1 and see the sights. My Viper just turned over 40,000 miles today. I have to say I LOVE this car! When I am not on a road trip I autocross the car at local SCCA events. Enough about me. I would like to know has anyone else driven their viper long distances without any issues? Or am I just lucky? I do over maintenance the car though. Forca of habit I do love to work on it.
Steve

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first Viper was a 1997 GTS and it had 70,000 something when I sold it and we drove it from Florida to Vegas a couple times and Florida to Tennessee. Okla, Texas several times and never had any problems other then the AC not blowing ice cold air. I raced it on weekends sometimes at the drag strip. It was bone stock and ran 7.80s 1/8th mi, 12.19 1/4 mi. We went to a leg of the Power Tour where it dynoed 423 h.p., 469 lbs torque and was a pleasure to own. That was 5 Vipers ago. To date we have NEVER been broke down anywhere and NEVER had any problems period with any of my Vipers. I went from having owned 25 Vettes since 1970 to 1998 to being a die hard only Viper owner. Most of those Vettes were 427 big blocks, 1967s, I have owned all out race cars, many street rods and Blown Pro street cars, mostly 1955 and 1957 Chevys.., 2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo., more,.I am 63 yrs old and guess I will never grow up...DON'T want a GT 40 over any of my VIPERS...VIPER RULES in my personal opinion and you know what thats worth.....GO VIPER....:2tu: :headbang: :drive:

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I am from IN also. I have 50K miles on my '01, in the spring-fall I drive it 5 hrs each way to the track and drive all wknd, do that about 15-18 weekends/yr. Sometimes I am pulling into my garage on Sun. night after a track event and I am not ready to park it haha.

You could also drive it to Salt Lake City in Sep, VOI 11 is happening there:)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bought in nebraska, drove home to NNJ
4 round trips from NNJ to florida

bought with 9000 miles and now a little over 60k

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 of those round trips was at over 800rwhp and in the snow for the length of virginia. so yes they are very reliable

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Coast -to-coast twice in my first Viper (1993).

A 2000 mile junket (AMA, LAS, LAX, PSP, PHX, ABQ, AMA) in my current 2002 GTS.

Zero issues ...

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a new owner's perspective, this is an awesome thread! I just purchased an 01 GTS/ACR with 9500 miles, and am looking forward to the first 700 mile roadtrip home, and many more after that! :drive:

It's hard to imagine a low revving, 488 cubic inch motor being anything but reliable, and I admit, being a former Corvette owner, I worry more about the electrical gremlins than anything else :mad:

Glad to hear many Viper owners enjoying long trips without issues. I take great care of my cars, and only ask that they return the favor :2tu:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gen 1s have all been rock solid.....and I like long road trips!!

200 miles is a short cruise IMO.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Gen IV has performed flawlessly over 16,000 miles, including 2 x 1,500 mile trips and at least a dozen 700 milers. I'm driving it to Salt Lake City in September: 1,800 miles each way. Only "issue" at the back of my mind is flat tires (no spare, iffy sealant kit) and replacement availability. Otherwise, the car is as reliable as any I've ever driven - oil and coolant temp gauges might as well be painted on.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think any car will perform better when you drive it a bit longer once in a while!

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Dallas, Texas to Grand Rapids, Michigan; zero issues.

A friend of mine did two cross country rallies in his '97 650R.

Nick

OP
OP
T

Trailertrash

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Every time you fill up the gas you get people coming up and talking to you about the car and where I headed to next. Driving down the highway I get the thumbs up often. My license plate is I8AVET and a vet even gave me the thumbs up running 90 down to Florida last year.Looks like I will make another road trip in June out to San Fransico then run the coast line down to LA then through Dallas and back to Fort Wayne. I prey for great weather!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery