Roe racing ported heads and 710 cam plus sct tune????

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently have a few bolt ons and the comp coupe cam plus a roe sct tune. Dynoed 495 rwhp and 540 rwt. Its been a good set up and surprised many.

Well about a month ago I danced with a supercharged 600 rwhp c6z06 and when the music stopped it looked like I had to left feet.

Its time for phase two. Been talking with Sean and hes telling me his ported heads and 710 cam will put me around 600 rwhp. Its seeming like the headwork and cam will only set me back around 4k for parts.

Sean emailed me today and stated that the last 05 they did just had headers exhaust intake the 710 cam and tune and hit 570 rwhp.

Im really thinking about pulling the trigger as roeracing has always been a pleasure to deal with but Id just really love to hear some feedback from anyone who knows anything about this setup

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id only go to greg good for heads and cam personally. nobody knows more about it for our cars.

T JUNKIE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have delt with sean while supercharging my 06 coupe. He has given me good advise. I think he heads and cams are agreat option. Also look at changing your motor mounts. I did this and it was good money spent. My car always had "trouble" with 3rd since new.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked with Sean at roe racing again

HEADS

heads=800
Porting and springs=2500
Thicker head gaskets=80
Retune to sct=100
Shipping=200 (estimate to Hawaii)
Install plus dyno=1300

$4980 for a 30-40 rwhp gain according to Sean

710 CAM

Cam=700
Springs=400
Thicker head gaskets=80
Retune to sct=100
Shipping=100 (estimate to Hawaii)
Install plus dyno=1300

2680$ for a 65-75 rwhp gain acording to Sean.

Just hard to justify the price of the heads so Ive decided to go cam only and will be ordering from Roe Racing shortly. Figure I can always add heads later from Roe or Greg if the cam still isnt enough

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gotta take the heads off to get the cam done, might as well do them while you are in there. its kinds dumb not too. but it easy for ME to spend YOUR money too.

if you go to do heads later, the cost of labor is pretty much the same as what you are paying now to do just the cam, youre getting the labor to do heads for free now plus ANOTHER dyno and tune........

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Money! Thats the problem. Trying to give myself a great xmas present plus the wife and 4 kids. Spending 6k for the heads plus cam is setting my seff up for failure as the wife and kids are gonna expect the same treatment!

The shop thats doing the cam install is getting back to me tomorrow about a local machine shop that charges 1k for the 5angle valve job plus flow bench. If I can get them done decently for just 1k then might as well. Even if its only a 15-25 rwhp gain vs 30-40 you cant beat it for the money.

Shooting for 575 rwhp sae corrected. Just 486 rwhp sae corrected right now so that would be a nice gain for just 3800$

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you are going dancing again you might need to offset your #s a little , if he has 600hp you NEED 650hp to make it a fun dance. Either way sound cool!

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my weight reduction at 32xx pounds and z06s at 31xx pounds plus the supercharger bringing the z06 to 32xx pounds my high 500 rwhp set up should be a decent competitor.

Time will tell..

On a positive note I found a shop that specializes in head work and they will do a 5angle valve job on both heads for me for $450!

If I can really get this all done for just 3200$ and pick up close to 100 rwhp man thats a good deal.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shop has upped my install to 1500 since heads and springs. Still fair priceing so far

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes... Ill post it up. Sean told me theyve done 17 of them this year and its completely streetable

Last edited:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen that one, numerous times :lmao: I was hoping for something different, particularly in a SRT Viper with side exhaust

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess Im gonna be a guini pig again. I was a guini pig with the comp coup cam on stock heads. many said it was worth nothing. And while on the top end I only picked up around 10 rwhp and 20 rwt. I picked up 25 rwhp and 30 rwt through the mid range. Was a hell of a bump considering the awesome drivability.

Just hate to trade to this cam and pick up just 15 rwhp and lose drivability. Sean Roe has been a stand up guy and never let me down. he always seems upfront with his numbers and never exagerated to make a sale.

he says Ill pick up 50 minimum then Im inclined to believe him.

I am gonna try and call greg good again in a few hours. I have my stock cam just lying around in the garage. If I can reach him then it defiently wont hurt to see what he thinks would be a good grind

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ordering the 710 camshaft in an hour. Hope Im not wasteing my money. Josh at Roe Raceing seems to be a great guy to deal with and he told me hes personally seen vipers pick up 70 rwhp with this cam and no head work.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the luck.

As Ive mentioned many times I like many here have had nothing but positive expetiences with Roe Racing. But I have my doubts about picking up 50-90 rwhp cam only. ID BE SATISFIED WITH A SOID 30 RWHP GAIN. But they are stuck on telling me theyve seen many dyno and 50-60 rwhp gain would be the minimum. EVEN WENT AS FAR AS TELLING ME NO ONE EVER BELIEAVES EM ABOUT THIS CAM TILL THEY SEE THE DYNO NUMBERS.

So Im at 486/535 sae with the competition coupe camshaft.

Gonna minus 6 rwhp and 10 rwt from those numbers to get back to stock cam power. As the competition camshaft gave me very little peak power

So Ill be compareing the 710 cam dyno to 480 rwhp and 525 rwt.

Ordered the 710 cam plus beehive springs plus forged pushrods and thinner gen4 head gaskets last night. Will install and dyno on the same dyno early next month. Probaly wont do any head work to have a direct stock cam vs competition coupe cam vs 710 cam comparison

Last edited:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you mind either posting, or PMing, what you are at price-wise for the 710 cam plus supporting parts you ordered?

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cam=7 and some change
Springs=4 and some change
Forged rods=less than 2
Gen 4 thinner head gaskets=less than 1

Total was 13 and some change. Install is under 1500$.

If we gen 3 owners can no bs get another 60-90 rwhp for 3k total after install this will be an amazeing dollar to hp modification.

Roe told me with their tried and tested tune that the drivabiliy is compareable to a stock 96-99 gen2 viper.

Amazeingly Ive lezrned a lot about the gen4 through this process.

Gen3=8.3 liters and 510 hp
Gen4=8. 4 liters and 600 hp.

The 8.3 vs 8.4 makes hardly any differance. Gen4 has.

Thinner head gaskets for more compression
Much better flowing heads
Advanced cam

Seems to me they just took gen3s and did a head and cam package and boom gen4. Sure the gurus will tell me Im dead wrong but after all my searching it sure seems that way

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Seems to me they just took gen3s and did a head and cam package and boom gen4. Sure the gurus will tell me Im dead wrong but after all my searching it sure seems that way

aaaaaaaaand, you are dead wrong. LOL

The Gen-4 may as well be a different manufacturer compared to the Gen-3. Yes, it has a similar structure [it is a Viper V-10 after all], but quite literally, there is nothing unchanged. The Heads, intake system, exhaust system, camshaft, valve covers, ignition, oil system, etc don't even bare any similarity besides layout. Even the block is massively changed because of the new controller and camshaft, and are nowhere near interchangeable.

Crank, Rods and Pistons are about the only "close" parts of anything, just because they are basically an over-bored full-floating version of the Gen-3 parts, and the crank has a different trigger design and bolt size at the flange. If you consider that.... "close" lol

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Twister, this is a great thread. I can not wait to see your results. I've got my fingers crossed for your 60-70hp gain.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw a guy on the other viper forum from Astria.

06 srt
Kn intake
Bbk throttle body
Corsa exhaust
High flow cats
710 cam
Behive springs
Sct tune
Stock heads

Said he dynoed 500 sae and 520 rwt sae. Got to 520 rwhp but went with a safer tune at The 500 rwhp mark.

Hard one to call. Some vipers dyno just 435 rwhp stock and the intake/throttle body/corsa high flow cats could just be a 15 rwhp gain to 450 rwhp. Meaning cam and tune got him 50 rwhp safe and 70 rwhp risky.

On the other hand he had a stock 450 rwhp beaste and the bolt ons gave him 20 rwhp to 470 and he picked up 30 safe and 50 risky.

Reguardless 500 plus rwhp on stock heads with stock headers and the cats not removed does show potential.

At 480 rwhp pre cam with my bolt ons and no cats as well as arrow rockers Im hopeing to get a bit more than him.

Also the silver srt ram in roe racings video made 516 rwhp sae on stock heads with a few bolt ons and the 710 cam. Those things are lucky to hit 425 rwhp stock because of higher drivetrain loss.

Excited!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen