Roe Springs Caps installed!! When will the car drop??

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a set of Roe Lowering Spring Caps today. The car has not really lowered any. Does it take a little time for it to settle??

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you removed the shocks, or at least loosened the mounting bolts, the suspension needs to be compressed before tightening the shock bolts. This can be accomplished by jacking up each corner of the car with a jack under the lower A-arm/ball-joint.

If you had the whole car up in the air, and just set it down, you will need to drive it a little to settle it.

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what I needed to know. The car was jacked up on the frame. Then I removed each shock and replaced the caps. Then I sat it back on the ground. How long does it take to settle completly? I want to wait for it to settle before I get it aligned. Or, is there faster way to get it to settle??

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry if my first post wasn't clear about the ABSOLUTE need to compress the suspension when tightening shock bolts...

The shocks are supposed to be tightened with the car "pulled down" to design height. Design height is lower than your car normally sits. When you replace stock shocks without compressing the suspension, the load on the shock bushings effectively "jacks up" your car. Just driving it will not fix this condition. You need to put a jack under one corner of the car, loosen the upper and lower shock bolts, jack that corner up until it quits compressing, and then tighten the shock bolts to 105-110 ft/lbs. Do this for all four corners. Your car will definitely sit lower.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You have 24 mini torsion bars on your suspension (each bushing uses a serrated center sleeve and resists rotation). If you have a Viper in the air with its wheels drooping for any length of time, they will take a "set". The only fast way to drop it with stock bushings (other than going out and cornering really hard and continuing to do so) is to loosen all the mounts and compress the suspension before tightening them.

But, if you had Delrin or monoball suspension bushings, the suspension would move up and down freely, working properly and settling instantly.