Roll bar/ Aero wing on vert.

TrapperJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1)Has anyone put a roll bar in their vert? Does the car feel tighter on turns? 2)Will it block my rear view mirror image? At present I have an 09 vert with aero kit. The wing is in the middle of my rear view miror image. I'm thinking of replacing the wing supports with those fron the coupe. Will they fit? Thanks. John

Last edited:
Reaction score
1)Has anyone put a roll bar in their vert? Does the car feel tighter on turns? 2)Will it block my rear view mirror image? At present I have an 09 vert with aero kit. The wing is in the middle of my rear view mirror image. I'm thinking of replacing the wing supports with those fron the coupe. Will they fit? Thanks. John

Trunk is different so the stanchions will not fit the same. The Auto form bar does help tighten the car a little and the cross bar is now hidden under the panel out of your view.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1)Has anyone put a roll bar in their vert? Does the car feel tighter on turns? 2)Will it block my rear view mirror image? At present I have an 09 vert with aero kit. The wing is in the middle of my rear view miror image. I'm thinking of replacing the wing supports with those fron the coupe. Will they fit? Thanks. John

As Mark states, the taller risers wont fit, (thankfully) Please DONT modify a wind-tunnel-tested OE aero package with taller risers! It could be a bad mistake.

The AF bar and/ or hard top both result in improved chassis stiffness, as if you added a mid-chassis anti-sway bar! The older photos of the bar (as on our site) dont refelect the new, lower profile.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AF bar was very easy to install and is less obstructive than the factory alum. stuff they mounted. Not sure how it's NHRA approved without the drag bar, but def. improvement over stock.

You must be registered for see images

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Roll Bar in my vert. After install I cann't say the car feels any tighter or better balanced etc. I wasn't looking for that but I can tell you though it should help. It does become a part of the frame and is well constrcuted and looks great. Worth the money for the safety and you can run most tracks. Last thing there is no change in the rear view mirror and honestly I forget half the time mine even has it in there. I have the Autoform Rollbar I bought from Jon B. above. The Autoform one in my opinion is the best for the vert. Looks great works with the top and adds to the all important safety factor. :2tu:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Roll Bar in my vert. After install I cann't say the car feels any tighter or better balanced etc. I wasn't looking for that but I can tell you though it should help. It does become a part of the frame and is well constrcuted and looks great. Worth the money for the safety and you can run most tracks. Last thing there is no change in the rear view mirror and honestly I forget half the time mine even has it in there. I have the Autoform Rollbar I bought from Jon B. above. The Autoform one in my opinion is the best for the vert. Looks great works with the top and adds to the all important safety factor. :2tu:

Shandon,
What did you do with the plastic seat frame? It's my understanding that the oe frame needs to be cut (or replaced) in order to acomodate the AF rollbar. I'm not looking for a project in suede, so is there an easier alternative that still looks close to original?

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed an Autoform rollbar as well (fairly easy to do) - it comes with an entire replacement "plastic seat frame" (bulk head cover). It has no impact on rear-view.

I also have the Autoform hard top - one thing to note is that you will not be able to fit any high density padding on the rollbar if you have both the top and the bar (not enough clearance between them) - didn't bother checking that with the soft top.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon,
What did you do with the plastic seat frame? It's my understanding that the oe frame needs to be cut (or replaced) in order to acomodate the AF rollbar. I'm not looking for a project in suede, so is there an easier alternative that still looks close to original?

Ok get the idea of that suede out of your head :D. The roll bar from autoform comes with a new bulkhead cover. The plastic behind the seats with the sub and tweeter etc.. Yes there is some cutting involved with the metal behind the seats that you will never see again in you life. Here are a few photo's of the things needed and some photo's of mine during install. The last photo is the only one I have from inside the car but you get the idea I think. Disreguard the car behind me:D

You must be registered for see images attach

Thats should get you started:lmao: well sorta :D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question on how the AF rollbar is mounted. Those pics really help, it looks like it mounts to the top there, does the outside leg go all the way down to the frame at the floor board level? Is it all bolt-in or is there any welding to be done?

This is my target winter project & really appreciate the info in this thread guys!

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its hard to explain but the bar goes down and through the back sheet metal on both sides and attach to the frame. The upper section you can see in my photos, attaches to the bulk head in mulitple areas (8 I think). The Bar becomes one with the Viper no question! I did the install myself also and It took me the whole day but I did a few other things like a seat lowering kit at the same time. Just figure it to be a weekend worrior thing and don't forget the celebration beer! You may actually want to drink a few to settle the thoughts of cutting up your viper! Not much cutting but scarry :D Ohh yea ( NO WELDING)

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Shandon,
I see you added the Dynamat sheets, do they make a noticable difference in interior noise ? Also what material ( Dynamat also ?) should I use in the door sills to have less heat from the mufflers?

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do they make a polished or chrome rollbar? I think that would look good to match with shiny polished rims. I am not sure I like the look of that rollbar vs the fake stock rollbar covers.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they make a polished or chrome rollbar? I think that would look good to match with shiny polished rims. I am not sure I like the look of that rollbar vs the fake stock rollbar covers.
Yes they can provide polished chrome.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The bulkhead that came with mine was fiberglas and required some trimming. The finish on the bulkhead just isn't nice enough in my opinion, for these cars. Not sure what everyone else did, but I recommend covering it. The bulkhead is wider than a standard roll of leather, so it'll need two stitches. I put the stitches behind the seats and you can't see them with everything installed.

I live just outside Philly and have a shop in Doylestown, PA. If anyone needs help installing a bar, I'd be glad to help. It's always easier doing a project a second time. Can also get just about any leather or fabric to cover the bulkhead.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery