Rollbar

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And NHRA approval would be necessary for certain drag racing speeds?

I am not that familiar with drag racing or NHRA rules; I seem to recall that you can run at certain drag strips without a full roll cage so long as your car is not capable of exceeding certain speeds. But I defer to those who more familiar with NHRA rules.

/Rich

OP
OP
P

proggod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no rollbar on the viper is going to be allowed to dragrace with nhra. They require a full roll cage, i think if your over 13 sec in a 1/4 mile, which the viper defintely can do :)

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.nhra.com/contacts/tech_faq.html

When do I need a roll bar or roll cage, and what should it look like?
You must be registered for see images
A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:
The roll cage of any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker, or 135 mph or faster, must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation.

OP
OP
P

proggod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO it looks like to me neither roll bar is legal if your car is faster then 13.49, which all vipers are.

Last edited:

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket snap on hard tops will meet code. I have heard you can get one at some of the events for use at the event but am not sure.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a snap of me installing the older autoform design. I love the way it looks in the car. It does take away a little visibility but it isn't that bad.
4996DSC00792a.jpg

here is another rear shot.
4996DSC01347a.jpg

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will the new rollbar from autoform, the one without the rearview-blocking cross bar, protect the occupants in case of a rollover? I'm not worried about NHRA. I'm worried about highway hazards. Thanks.