RT/10 for sale...input - help - advice?

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To start off with, this sell just doesn't seem " quite right ". It is a 1994 RT/10. It has a salvage title. It does have about 19k - 20k. The " damage " are stress marks around the hood and " trunk " hinges. According to this person, it has a salvage title due to the adjuster not wanting to pay for a new hood. He said it was " lightly hit ". He described the damage as being not even noticeable if the " person " was not told about it. Now here's the problem. If the hood damage is barely non-existent, and the car was only slightly hit, *** did it " need " to be replaced, be denied replacement, and then given a salvage title? Am I right in being VERY cautioud about this car?

p.s. He seriously wants around $29,500 for this car. I don't think it is worth even 27 or 26 partly due to title.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cisco,

I would agree. That is way too much money for s salvage title. Imagine the beating you would take if you decided to upgrade in the near future.

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was very ackward talking tp him. He kept on telling me about his friends and locals wanting to buy it. Then I started wondering, " if it's such a good deal...why not just sell it? " Just annoting as he would not stop telling me about EVERY interested person. Not wrecked but hood needing replaced despite having barely any / nonvisible damage. What a lamer.

p.s. No maintence receipts. NO ANYTHING regarding to condition of car. He said he was a mechanic ( wow...what a surprise ). Said that he and his friends fixed everything, and he would swear to a " 150 point " inspection. Seriously, what a lamer.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just don't rush into a purchase like this and end up with a P.O.S.!

You know enough about the car to know it has the potential to be a BOMB and really ruin your 1st Viper experience!

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I am NOT considering this one. I was moreso just asking if my feelings ( leading to not wanting it ) were correct. I know this guy is hiding something. he has to be. Too many " ifs "...and his main selling point was telling me how everyone else was " about to " buy it...very fishy.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
27K is going to get you garbage no matter how many you look at. The cars are worth 25K in pieces easily. They won't depreciate any more than that. Any car cheaper is going to be a heap-o-crap

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't need to PM you, no secrets.
I'd sell mine for $27k if someone had the money in hand.
I'd like to sell my R/T and my Vette and buy a GTS.

I'll bet my R/T is the best deal out there for someone wanting a driver Viper. No salvage, nice looking, almost everything replaced.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, you've got ~110k on the car, but with the engine rebuilt at 95k, right? And I seem to recall you did a lot of clean-up / repairs to it after getting it? Might be good if you pulled up that post of things you did to help your sale.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the text of a letter I sent to someone who was asking about buying the car.
I'm not really trying to sell the car. I don't owe any money on it so it isn't costing me anything. But like I said, if someone came around with the money, I'd sell it and look for a GTS.
I'm not really much for open cars. A GTS would be better for me.
Anyway, this is what I told the last guy who asked,

I'll start off with the worst and then tell you what I've done. I bought my 94 R/T 10 Viper in February 2002 from the original owner who lived in Bethesda Maryland. He treated the Viper like an ordinary car and he drove it every day. He had an extended warranty on the car and the records that I have show a few minor items fixed over the years. The major item was the engine. It was replaced at 95k miles by a local Dodge dealer under the extended warranty.

When I bought the car it had 102k miles and it has 107k now. At one time a few years ago someone backed into the front of the car in traffic causing replacement of the fascia and radiator. I suspect that the AC condenser might have been damaged too as it seems to have a leak. From the looks of the paperwork on this repair job it didn't look like it was too much of an accident and of course the car has a regular Maryland title, no wreck or salvage.

When I bought the car it needed a number of mechanical and cosmetic fixes. I took it to a local Dodge dealer and told them to make a list of everything it needed to make it right. They gave me a list and I told them to do it all. The major items consisted of, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, all clutch hydraulics, clutch/starter lock out switch, complete pedal assy, shifter, complete parking brake assy, steering rack, outer tie rod ends, brake rotors, pads. The bill came to over $5k but the car was mechanically sound. Just about everything has been replaced except the transmission. No problems with the trans.

I bought new seats and all new interior dash and trim parts and a new steering wheel, radio, all stock parts. I bought polished aluminum wheels, stock from a 97 Viper. I bought new tires, Kuhmo 700R, all around. I replaced the soft top and sliding side curtains and bought a stock factory hard top. I bought a Toneau cover and bra. I replaced the stock mufflers with Belanger 3” mufflers, the cats remain stock. The car is louder than stock but not so loud that you would get a ticket. The car has a Valentine one radar detector.

The Viper comes with a 3.08:1 rear. With the stock rear you need to be going 80 mph to get into 6th gear. Some of the Viper guys change the rear to a 3.55:1, that's what I did too, Unitrax limited slip unit. 6th is now possible at 65mph. The car still has a top speed of over 160 mph. I had the car and the hard top painted black, that was the color the car came with and has always been.

I have all the factory repair manuals and the owners manual. I have all the paperwork from all my expenses and quite a bit of the first owners paper including the dealers bill to the warranty company for the engine replacement $15k!
The car looks very nice. There are no problems with it. It's not a show car but it turns heads wherever I go. Everyone wants to sit in it. They even get their cameras out and want their picture taken in it.

I retired from the Government in January 2003. I also have a 96 Vette. I find that I don't really need two sports cars. I'm planning to sell the Viper and the Vette and buy something else.
I live in southern Maryland and, of course, that's where the car is.
That's about it, Joe Moraski

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn...this sounds like a mint opportunity!! I'm gonna see if I can get my car sold quick ('86 930 Porsche), I'd had some interest from folks around here last time I mentioned it going up for sale. Will start looking at getting a loan for this....

I'm a little heavy in the CC debt category right now...mostly due to rebuilding the engine, AC, transmission, turbo, exhaust..etc. of said 930. I love the car, but, I think I'd much rather have a car 10 years newer....and the one test drive I had of a Viper blew me away.

This sounds like all the repairs needed have been done...and could easily suit me as my daily driver. (I have no kids I know of, and have dodged marriage twice...so, single guy, no responsibilities but myself).

If I can work things out...I'll be in touch!!

Cayenne

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a car Francisco. You are not going to be happy until you get one so don't do that to yourself any longer. Sack up and go for it. You'll enjoy every minute of it once you have it.

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah he is. Despite being a bit rough at times, he is never, at any time, " mean ". Upmost respect for him...even though he is older then the dinosaurs.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the car is offered at $27k and there really isn't anyone who is saying they will buy it.

Some interest but no real buyers yet.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cisco,

If you fly into town, I'll pick you up at the airport and take you to Joe's car.

Whatever we, the VCA, can do to help expedite your purchase, I stand at your beckon call. HA!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good offer Cisco.
And anyone who is local can come look and give an written opinion of the car on the board.
I'm all for open and honest. A second or third honest opinion can only help buyer and seller when there is travel involved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang