RUN-CRAP STORY

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well My viper just hit the 13K mark on the odo and i started looking for tires, figured I would go with the ps2's but i started thinking aftermarket wheels (20's rear) so i didn't want to buy tires until I knew what i wanted with wheels.
Anyways I took a road Trip down to Atlanta over the weekend (with bald run-craps on back) so yesterday i was heading back home and just as I was entering the on-ramp and i hear this loud noise coming from the rear and just like that it was gone so I ran up to speed and then noticed my radio (RB1) keep turning down then i finally noticed LO TIRE on the dash.........crap so i pull of at the next ramp and start calling around for a tire.......THAT WAS NOT EASY!!! I was kinda lucky to find a dodge dealer about 10 miles away and could get me a tire in a few hours......5 hours later and 510.00 less i was back on the road, but the moral of the story was I was thinking of going with the ps2's but if that happend with them i would have been really screwed had that been in the virgina mountains at night...... I've decided to keep the run flats for sure for the stock wheels but still may go with the aftermarket wheels/tires but if taking a long road trip switch back to the run-flats. Also the dumb jack-ass at the dealer put 44 pounds of air in the tire. Just Figured I would check the pressure and was floored that this guy filled it to 44 psi. Told the service write-up guy that he should really pay attention to who he hires and showed him the guage, he then proceded to look at the sidewall of the tire to get the "right psi":omg: jack-ass #2. Anyways i was 5 hours behind and needed to get on the road so I thanked him for getting me the tire and left...........

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear ya, I just can't understand why people can't do **** right the first time!!!! 44, were would he even come up with this number???? My 5 thousand pound suv with room for 7 doesn't even take that much pressure, this is getting me all worked up again just typing about it, also he gouged the rim in 3 spots about 1/4 inch each with i have no idea what, but I told them about that also and he told me they don't use any metal tools......... another jack-ass comment, either way i told them not to worry about the rim (I will be changing them fairly soon) and thats about it..................

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to air up the tires (44+) to get the bead to seat properly against the wheel rim. That much is a good idea. Now, they forgot to reduce the pressure back to 'regular' (which I would recommend at 32 minimum cold pressure despire the '29' on the door tag).

As for a '5 thousand pound SUV', tire pressure is not relevant on the size of the vehicle, depends on the tire and how the manufacturer made it. My tires on my 1 ton are 'regular' at 54-58lbs. The baby stroller is happy at 35...just depends.

-J

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sympathies dude. I'm thinking of buying my own tire store, body shop, and automobile manufacturing plant just so I can cut down on idiots I can't fire!

I couldn't have said it better Dave.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, they forgot to reduce the pressure back to 'regular' (which I would recommend at 32 minimum cold pressure despire the '29' on the door tag).

-J

Why would you recommend 32 minimum?

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Dave,
I'll sell you my body shop for a good price, but all I ask is, after the exchange you let me fire my x idiots.
I shouldn't complain after all it's not their fault, It's their parents!

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you recommend 32 minimum?

Because the way the runflats are designed.

The sidewalls of the runflats are extra stiff and as such, without suffiicient air pressure you are actually riding on the sidewalls (aka "riding on rails").

I owned an '05 for a while with the runflats and experimented around with them (I actually kept them at 34lbs cold but I drive fairly aggressively) and found that anything below 32lbs cold was insufficient to bouy the tread between the sidewalls sufficiently to provide good traction when turning, especially turning with elevation changes (uphill/downhill, we have a lot of these here in Austin).

Hope that helps.

-J

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ULLose I have a 2003 I just got back from putting new tires on the rear also.I was thinking also about Ps2 but I also like the fact that if the tire goes flat you can get home.Had it happen about 125 miles from home stop one time put air in and made it home.I will keep the run flats.1172.00 for tiresa and mounting.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But guys you can get a flat repair kit as well? Our CTS-V and Viper both have run craps..I will be changing them out..they are heavy, sidewalls are too stiff, and they are expensive for the performance you get (Goodyear Eagle F1s on Caddy get about 6K miles per set - ridiculous- and they are $400 each for a 245/45/18).

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jsp

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First off I had a 3 inch cut mark right in the center of the tire.......went flat in about 10 seconds............no flat kit would have ever worked. I am a big fan of getting a better tire non run-flat but the fact is I would have been screwed had it not been a run flat because of the cut in the tire. In my 16 years of driving I never had a flat on anything. My C5 I dropped the goodyears and went with pilot sport non runflats but that was then this is now. Like I said before I will still buy a non runflat with my new wheels but if i take a road trip i will be switch the rims/tires back.

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to air up the tires (44+) to get the bead to seat properly against the wheel rim. That much is a good idea. Now, they forgot to reduce the pressure back to 'regular' (which I would recommend at 32 minimum cold pressure despire the '29' on the door tag).

As for a '5 thousand pound SUV', tire pressure is not relevant on the size of the vehicle, depends on the tire and how the manufacturer made it. My tires on my 1 ton are 'regular' at 54-58lbs. The baby stroller is happy at 35...just depends.

-J

Not totally true, my work vehicles take 80Psi in the rear (cargo area) and 50psi in the front
I'm assuming the rears have more pressure because of the 1 ton payload.