Run in with a deer

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was driving along cruisin at about 40 mph, I see this dead deer right in my lane, at about the edge. I hit the brakes as hard as i could, i imagine the car got down to about 5-10 mph, unfortunately i hit the deer. There is some damage to the lower part of the front fascia, right under the line, and under the left foglight. There is no paint damage, the dent is about 2-3 inches deep and stretches from about the middle foglight right up the lower flare on the fascia. Can this be banged out, or do i have to get a whole new fascia? Also, in the worst case scenario, how much does the new fascia cost?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear of the incident.
bummer!!!
glad your okay.
sorry no info on a fix.
Maybe call the insurance company just to cover yourself incase
you need to make a claim.

Jim

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimandela:
Maybe call the insurance company just to cover yourself incase
you need to make a claim.

Jim

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ditto ...

I too am glad that you were not hurt. Also, be thankful your hood was not damaged as that would have been a big expense.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Check your insurance. Next door in DE most Insurers do not fault you for collision with an animal or bird. You may have to provide some proof. Otherwise I think there is a front facia on ebay somewhere for $1000. Good luck.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you keeping the trophy for your mantle? Doe or Buck?

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
motor602,

Check with your dealer. The front fascia is made of a very special moldable material that is very expensive to replace. I replaced my front fascia with an autoform and was amazed at how "flexible" the material is. Seems like one new is in the multiple $1000s.
Glad that no one was hurt.

No Flame Intended...Just Observation,
CStegall

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by garolittle:
ditto ...

I too am glad that you were not hurt. Also, be thankful your hood was not damaged as that would have been a big expense.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double ditto!

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have had a run in with a deer. I had just bought a new porsche (in 91) & I was taking it out for its first sunday drive. Some pinhead in a Volvo pulled out in front of me & I passed her . As soon as I made it around the next bend at about 80 mph her comes a buck flyng over a 6 foot wall! It came through the windshield & the front legs landed in my wifes lap. took out the hood, front fender, windshield & side window when his *** whipped around the windshield post.

DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID WITH INSURANCE! My idiot agent said it was collision & would make my deal go up. This is covered under comprehensive & does nothing to your insurance rates. File a police report right away & put in the claim.

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be able to heat it up with a heat gun and push it out by hand as long as the part isnt ripped. Then have a cold damp rag ready to cool it off once it takes shape again. This might work 50% of the time. Good Luck

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HEMIDAYTNA:
are you keeping the trophy for your mantle? Doe or Buck?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I went out and got a "trophy" for a friend who had a mishap with a deer on his Harley. Guess what I got for my effots? Friggen Lyme Disease! Careful .....

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no no, i will not keep that ******* deer, wasnt even my "kill." Anyway, i took it to the dealer and they said they could pop it out, and paint over the stress fractures. They are thinkin 9 hours of labor and about a $900 price tag. Im thinkin this is pretty steep to paint over some pretty invisible scratches, but if insurance will cover who knows. 900 just sounds like too much to me.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front fascia comes off in less than 15 minutes and the material is very forgiving. I'd pull it, push it out and wax it out, then re-install. Not that big of a deal and your being charged for the re-paint and R&R of the fascia.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there is a difference in the 96 and 2000 front facia but I have a parts and labor manual that says. Remove and reinstall front bumper complete. 2.0 hrs. Repaint front bumper 2.9 hrs. Cost for new front bumper $1125.00. I have to agree with the last post. The front end is very easy to remove. I would take it off and try to push out the damaged area. You may need to replace the foam inside this area of the bumper and the price I have on the foam is $100.00. Hope this helps. Good luck.