Runflats..... are they worth it?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know, to me, I'd rather have a regular tire than a run flat. I know there isn't a spare, but it's a lot cheaper to replace. Spending $ 1,000 on rear tires seems a little too much. Hre's a few questions:

1) Has anyone put put 2002 rims w/18" tires on their 2003 Viper?
2) Can you run 2 "normal" tires in the rear and 2 run flats up front?
3) If the answer is no to question 2, can you switch to all normal tires on the 2003? Is there an "alert system" for the vehicle to display a code on the dash when there's zero pressure in a tire? What would you need to do if anything about this system if you converted to normal tires?

Thanks.

Steve

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,
I think that there is an issue with 18s in the rear due to the parking brake configuration. haven't tackled it personally, but I think that is why Dodge ended up with 19" rears....

While there isn't a problem with putting "regular" tires on the car, with no spare, and very little sidewall stiffness if there was an incident, my guess is a simple flat tire could end up soting you a new rim. The 2003 rims don't have a lip or rolled edge to them and if someone were to get a flat, in no time you'd be running on the polished edge of the rim without the ZP tires sidewall strength.

My guess is that the warning system would work the same (i.e. it monitors pressure, not tire...) but you'd probably already know there was an issue, as you'd feel a tire going down with the regular ones and it may be too late to save it. For me, the safety margin of the ZPs is worth it. (And I am terminally cheap....) :)

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'd go for a non-runflat. I too can't see spending a grand on rear tires when I bought a set of rears for the GTS for $300. If the tire pressure warning system lights up, I'll pull over and call the roll-back. With the SRT, I don't even have to worry about them scratching the front air-dam! 3000 miles on my SRT and NO DAMAGE. After 50 miles of careful driving on a GTS it was already scuffed. I'd also love to know if the 18" wheels would fit.

Nevermind, I just read another thread that said the runflats were only about $70 more each. ONLY if the non were substantially less would I buy.

OP
OP
S

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned Vipers with and without run-flats. I personally like the non's better as they offer a smoother ride. I guess it just irks me that rears cost $ 1,000 now, rather than the $ 300 I was used to....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni, are the SRT wheels substantially more vulnerable to damage with a flat than previous wheels? I am not sure what lip or edge you were referring to. As I have driven the RT/10 without the spare when on long trips (save the safety talk as the trunk was so packed there was no way the trunk lid could have decapitated me) I am not overly concerned with the tow home issue. I would include a tire kit and couple of "spare tire in a can" cans as a safeguard though.

And extra $500 - 1000 for a set of tires would be a significant incentive.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion, the GTS wheels had a lip around the outer edge, that, if a tire went flat, the tire would fold around that lip and the "backside" of the lip, if you will, would be the potential part in contact with the ground. On the SRT, the wheels are flat faced and polished right to the edge, and if that outermost edge made contact with the ground, I think it would get messed up more than the backside of the lip on the earlier wheels.

It's important enough for me to be self sufficient (i.e. runflats or a spare) that I'll spend the extra $$$ as to not have to deal with a disabled vehicle on the side of the road and have to wait for a tow truck.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to the Michelin rep at a club meeting. When I directly asked him which tire I should replace my run flats with he without hesitation said stay with the run flats.
Evidently Michelin worked very closely with Viper to produce this tire for the car.
(By the way, he no longer works for Michelin, so there was no bias.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang