Saw new Viper in test (maybe)

ACMiller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving back home from Ann Arbor, MI the other day and saw a red viper with Manufacture plates. The side pipes had whatlooked like 4 inches of black pipe sticking out from the side pipes (looked like extensions). The interesting thing is the entire hood had a mask on it which doesn't make sense unless there was a change to the hood. When I drove by it, you could see test equipment inside. My wife commented that it was a lot quieter than my SRT10. I have Corsa Track Exhaust.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you take a picture? it could of been the new acr or smething? was it a coupe?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A different hood you say? Well this particular hood was patented by DC (cowl intake) and contains a 625 HP factory-built V10...

You must be registered for see images

Hmmmm...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound like there's a change coming in the hood/engine area. Maybe the new supercharger wouldn't clear the old hood and they decided to do a new carbon fiber hood to reduce the weight? I can dream, can't I?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too long ago, I saw something similar on the way from Vegas to Pheonix. I was heading down 93 near the 74 (which I believe is where their proving grounds are) and saw a new Viper Coupe coming at me. It had two blue front fenders, a primered hood and the rest of the car was red. I almost didn't recognize it at first and realized it was a Viper Coupe as we passed each other. I initialliy chalked it up as a mule car testing the new drivetrain but thinking back on it the hood did seem different from a stock SRT-10 hood.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got to believe Dodge has something up it’s sleeve to answer to all of these 500 hp cars now. Why NOT stay on top when you can do it so easily?

I’d like to see a rear engine 4th Generation Viper come out looking like that $1.2 million Bugatti.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would routinely see test mules of the Ram and Dakota while driving interstate 70 from western kansas to denver. Not sure if their testing high altitude as they head toward the mountains but maybe (unlikely) I'll see a test mule Viper. Will keep the camera and camera phone close.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Who did the Roadster's Roof and Trunk? and more importantly with great emphasis...

WHERE CAN I BUY THEM!!!???
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

:p

Jay K.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Austin. Do you think you could photoshop one into reality? I'll buy!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are new European pedestrian impact regulations that is causing manufacturers to build a "crumple Zone" into the hoods.
I would suspect that this would require a new hood design, and perhaps that is what they were testing.
On the other hand, perhaps they just need a bigger hood to cover a bigger motor (I can dream).

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A different hood you say? Well this particular hood was patented by DC (cowl intake) and contains a 625 HP factory-built V10...

You must be registered for see images

Hmmmm...

Have any idea what mods they used to get 625hp?

Herc :usa:

M. ROD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any idea what mods they used to get 625hp?

Source: DaimlerChrysler

The ultimate test bed for Mopar Performance Parts engineered specifically for the ultimate American sports car, the Dodge Viper SRT-10 Carbon is designed to be the ultimate street-legal, racing-oriented sports car.

“More of everything – except weight!” was the theme in designing the Viper SRT-10 Carbon. Measurable weight savings – it weighs approximately 150 lbs. less than the production Viper SRT-10 – was recognized thanks to an aggressive, clear-coated carbon fiber hood (with radiator exit louvers and openings for cowl induction) and deck lid

(featuring a built-in spoiler that increases rear downforce), and the debut of ultra-lightweight Street and Racing Technology (SRT) 18- and 19-inch forged aluminum wheels. A clear-coated, lightweight carbon fiber front splitter increases front downforce.

A custom carbon fiber bolt-on hard top is featured, providing a coupe appearance.

Other ingredients in the recipe that make the Viper SRT-10 Carbon the performance enthusiasts’ fantasy car are a special version of the 8.3-liter Viper V-10 engine -- with individual runners, cowl induction, a 10 throttle body intake with aluminum velocity stacks, oversized intake and exhaust valves and modified cylinder heads resulting in 625 horsepower -- as well as a high-tech suspension featuring compression and rebound tunable shocks with adjustable ride height, titanium high-rate springs and high-rate anti-roll bars.

The Viper Competition Coupe race car parts bin provides a high torque bias racing limited-slip differential, differential oil cooler, racing seats and competition harnesses.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read in a mag today that AMG has developed a 6.2/6.3 litre 510 hp V8 engine with 4 valves per cyl. It is to replace a previous supercharged engine that I believe had 3 valves/ cyl. They placed it in a SLK model track car to test the engine that was reported to be similar to production. Torque was around 400 ftlbs. I read that it was supposed to appear in a SUV like the MLK first. Sorry I can't remember the mag but I was reading it during a long layover in Orlando Int'l Airport.

Maybe DC is finally realizing that the times are changing. Possiblbly a 4 valve Viper is also in the works. Maybe the hood is just a redesign.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read in a mag today that AMG has developed a 6.2/6.3 litre 510 hp V8 engine with 4 valves per cyl. It is to replace a previous supercharged engine that I believe had 3 valves/ cyl. They placed it in a SLK model track car to test the engine that was reported to be similar to production. Torque was around 400 ftlbs. I read that it was supposed to appear in a SUV like the MLK first. Sorry I can't remember the mag but I was reading it during a long layover in Orlando Int'l Airport.

Maybe DC is finally realizing that the times are changing. Possiblbly a 4 valve Viper is also in the works. Maybe the hood is just a redesign.

I pray they never put a V8 in a Viper.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me too, but one of the rumors regarding the future of the Viper is that it can not continue being such an exclusive platform. In other words, they want to divide the engineering and overhead costs of the vehicle across more sales (hence the Firepower!). This could also mean that the V-10 may have to go away since it is only used in 2 vehicles: Viper and Ram SRT-10. It wouldn't completely surprise me to see a special version (probably forced induction) of the 6.1L Hemi used in the Viper as a cost cutting measure. SRT is fully aware that most of us see the V-10 as a requirement but there is a chance that their hands may be tied by the beancounters. No matter what they do for the next engine (the current V-10 is getting retired in another year or so) they have to deliver the flat tq curve and big peak hp and tq numbers.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me the large displacement 488ci and now 505ci was what made the car appeal to the American market. The large V10 was defiant to the trend of smaller engines with forced induction which is more of a European or Japanese method. Since there probably always will be a gas guzzler tax on new Vipers why make the engine smaller now?

Even Corvette fans know that the Viper engine in factory form is practically detuned for the streets with 9.6/1 compression and mild if not stifling cam specs. If you want to go faster it is very easy with even basic bolt ons. If DC makes the Viper into a supercharged hemi the last of the original Viper DNA will be lost and whatever developes after may be faster but will need a totally new name because Viper will no longer apply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery