Saw this Gen 5 Viper Dodge dealer ad today...

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTS was the whole point of the car. The base SRT is the same mentality as before. It was the GTS that attracted all the non viper owners not the same formula which is the base SRT. They just kept that base one to make all the previous owners happy so they wouldn't hear them ******** about it later. Ralph has essentially said that in a much nicer way in many interviews. But the whole focus is the GTS. The selling point of this car is that it is now refined and can compete with European brands. But yes as the market has now confirmed the price is too high.

Correct, the GTS is priced way too high. If SRT made just the base made, more would have sold.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with a lot that's been said here. If you think about it, a GTS with no options is loaded with just about everything one could want. If I don't get the Stryker Red because of these ridiculous inexcusable delays, I will end up with a no-option GTS for $115k or so. That's an excellent value. The problem is that many of the Vipers sitting on lots are $140k MSRP.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to add that no one shoe fits all, but for my feet a no option GTS fits like a glove! Or sock! You get my point, lol

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, the GTS is priced way too high. If SRT made just the base made, more would have sold.

If SRT just made the base and had nothing from the GTS in it, Fiat wouldn't have allowed them to even build it. Or Chrysler, who ever is in charge of SRT. What they should have done is made a no options GTS the base and charged 99k and didn't go over 120k fully optioned with no stryker paint or painted stripes. Then my god with a 5k deal off MSRP at 115k this car would have sold like CRAZY. And maybe just add an MR shock system to keep people away from porsche.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the dealers will learn from 2013 on what sold and what didn't, and will adjust the options they order accordingly. The idea of limiting options is a bad one in my opinion.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'll see a lot more SRT ordered this year. The market for $100k 2 seaters is small, the market for $140,000 2 seaters is smaller.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you'll see a lot more SRT ordered this year. The market for $100k 2 seaters is small, the market for $140,000 2 seaters is smaller.

^what the hell? There are so many astons, lambos, ferraris, audi r8s, etc selling every day. What are you talking about????

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The FGT was a real exotic and the only american super car. And it stopped production because it became illegal to make not because it couldn't sell. It was those 2 characteristics that made them highly sought after and the viper nor zr1 or anything like that will replicate it.

I owned a FGT, I am not familiar with the illegal to make theory. Can you elaborate? I know they couldn't give em away. (I paid $10,000 under list on an 06 red /white got $125,000 when sold with 14,000 miles)

That aside I have not expressed any interest in a Gen V and have gotten no less then 3 calls out of the blue from dealers offering to sell me one. Market cant be too strong on them.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those damn Ford GTS !!! used tape on stickers for the stripes in the rocker panels...you could just peel them off with your fingernail.... how cheap and "Ford-like" just like back in the 1970's

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys, I looked at the So Cal dealer discounting, and they don't have the options that I'd consider. I would like to find a GTS with no options, preferably black with a $12K discount. That could make me jump ship on this ridiculous wait and pick one up. That would be $30k less than the car I have on order, I could live without the Stryker Red for that.

Dafuq ur still waiting without info!! dude there is a stryker red on stock with $5,000 below MSRP
I'm searching myself for any Viper without all the options I want, the pain is plain stupid.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a FGT, I am not familiar with the illegal to make theory. Can you elaborate? I know they couldn't give em away. (I paid $10,000 under list on an 06 red /white got $125,000 when sold with 14,000 miles)

Exactly. If you think people gripe about paying $100K+ for a Dodge, they really questioned paying $150K in 2004 for a FORD. I remember seeing the FGT's sitting on lots for several months. Only the first batch sold quickly, for those who put deposits down for them. They made them for 3 years, and values did depreciate some. The values didn't start going back up until 2010. I should have bought one in 2008.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And now they're worth 1/4 mill lol

So don't get too hung up on the "the sky is falling" commentary; just sayin

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dafuq ur still waiting without info!! dude there is a stryker red on stock with $5,000 below MSRP
I'm searching myself for any Viper without all the options I want, the pain is plain stupid.

This is coming to a head this week. Working on various options now.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just shouldn't be that difficult to spend a buck and a half in this economy; then they wonder why they went bankrupt...

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to add that no one shoe fits all, but for my feet a no option GTS fits like a glove! Or sock! You get my point, lol

That damn Viper shoe don't fit my foot or my body.... no shoulder room.
I am a size 14 shoe

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That aside I have not expressed any interest in a Gen V and have gotten no less then 3 calls out of the blue from dealers offering to sell me one. Market cant be too strong on them.

In 2007 they changed the laws on the height headlights have to be from the ground or something like that with headlights. The FGT headlights were too low or something like that with the positions so instead of ford changing it they just stopped making it.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2007 they changed the laws on the height headlights have to be from the ground or something like that with headlights. The FGT headlights were too low or something like that with the positions so instead of ford changing it they just stopped making it.

One of the great things as you get older is you realize how much you don't know and to keep your mouth shut about them.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually I read some where that Ford decided that using stickers ( instead of paint) for striping like they did in the 1970's on the rocker panels did not work out too well.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the great things as you get older is you realize how much you don't know and to keep your mouth shut about them.

Too bad you didn't learn to not be ignorant or maybe arrogant is the right word to use just because you are old?

Jay Leno talked about it in interviews and also when he did a review on his show of his FGT. He said if they fixed that headlight thing then Ford would still be making them today but because of the regulations they don't.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I read some where that Ford decided that using stickers ( instead of paint) for striping like they did in the 1970's on the rocker panels did not work out too well.

I believe painted stripes was an option perhaps?? Some FGTs on elite autos llc when he reads the options he says painted stripes. I remember a lot of shelby owners saying they wish their stripes were painted like the FGTs.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That damn Viper shoe don't fit my foot or my body.... no shoulder room.
I am a size 14 shoe
Just what size are you? Height & weight?
I'm 6'4" 300 lbs and 14 4eeee shoes and I fit and drive a Gen V fine. As well as my Gen 4

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad you didn't learn to not be ignorant or maybe arrogant is the right word to use just because you are old?

Jay Leno talked about it in interviews and also when he did a review on his show of his FGT. He said if they fixed that headlight thing then Ford would still be making them today but because of the regulations they don't.

Please stop being an expert in cars you've never owned. Ford only planned to build 4,500 in the first place. They made it to around 4,000 due to delays, and new crash regulations in 2007 would have required further re-certification and testing. It was easier to call it done. Had nothing to do with headlights. It was mostly due to the low roofline and the position of the A-pillar. FGT was never meant to be sold forever.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please stop being an expert in cars you've never owned. Ford only planned to build 4,500 in the first place. They made it to around 4,000 due to delays, and new crash regulations in 2007 would have required further re-certification and testing. It was easier to call it done. Had nothing to do with headlights. It was mostly due to the low roofline and the position of the A-pillar. FGT was never meant to be sold forever.

I believe it was the new roll over standards that needed to be addressed... thicker A pilliars

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Never claimed I was an expert in the FGT. 2nd you don't need to own a car to be an expert in it either. I was just going by what I was told or have heard and it was something with the headlights. The crash regulations probably was it today but I'm sure that wasn't the only regulation being changed in 2007. Clearly ford thought it was not worth it to redesign the car based on the sales. And don't say it isn't meant to be sold forever, if a car makes money forever then it will be sold forever. Porsche is a perfect example of this. Same damn design for 1 million years and people are still always buying. They will keep continuing it as long as their is profit. No business says no to profit. At least no successful one does. This isn't the salvation army or red cross.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never claimed I was an expert in the FGT. 2nd you don't need to own a car to be an expert in it either. I was just going by what I was told or have heard and it was something with the headlights.

The problem isn't what you say, it is HOW you say it. You say things very "matter-of-fact" and very "I-know-it-all" a lot of times here. If you have the slightest bit of doubt about a statement, maybe learn how to say "I've heard that..." or "I've been told that..." instead of stating things as fact. Like you did here:

The FGT was a real exotic and the only american super car. And it stopped production because it became illegal to make not because it couldn't sell. It was those 2 characteristics that made them highly sought after and the viper nor zr1 or anything like that will replicate it.

Life lessons. Nobody likes a know-it-all, or people who can't simply admit if they are incorrect about something. We all make mistakes.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the Maurice Liang Viper hard cover book they mentioned that they did research and asked why potential customers were not buying Vipers. They said because they were too crude and harsh. They surveyed the current Viper owners and found out they loved them because they were crude and harsh. They liked the direct relationship between man and machine. There was also a market for people that wanted a more upscale super car, but without the higher price of many competitors.

The decision was made to offer up both options. You could get the traditional base car with standard shocks and interior, or go upscale with the higher end interior and shocks.

Hard to understand why anyone would be upset to have both options.

Now I know that many will want to pick and choose from all the options of both models, but with this being the first year of production that was probably difficult.

Next in the offerings will be track only packages (X), track optimized packages (T/A), Winged warriers (ACR) special color editions, and lots and lots of choices.

As the market place works it self out, I would expect some less popular packages to be discounted, but other rare and desirable packages to go for a premium.

The sticker price is not engraved in stone, but just the manufacturers suggested retail price.

Some that hold out for just the right package at just the right price will be left out, but some will get super lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Shop well my friends and enjoy the ride.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I recall it was the A-pillar as well. The occupant's head was too close to the A-pillar so it couldn't meet updated crash standards. Seeing as there was no cost effective way to move the occupant or A-pillar, the Ford GT was effectively dead at that point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456