SC and Vert for 2016 rumors

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
800 hp supercharged v10 and a convertible would make many purist open up their wallets as long as dodge doesn't go nuts with pricing.

Add ten and call it a day to resurrect the viper as a dodge and not just an SRT.

James1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
800 hp there goes the competitions hopes lol. I just wonder about the price" bigger brakes all around and a beefier transmission."

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that, so I'm reading it as you can't get both (vert and 800?). 800hp seems like the right number, 650 torque seems low though,

I'd buy an 800hp vert tomorrow, I don't need another coupe but I would guess I can make room for one...

I REALLy can't wait for the first person to say "that's way too much HP" LOL

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that, so I'm reading it as you can't get both (vert and 800?). 800hp seems like the right number, 650 torque seems low though,

I'd buy an 800hp vert tomorrow, I don't need another coupe but I would guess I can make room for one...

I REALLy can't wait for the first person to say "that's way too much HP" LOL

Never gonna happen from any sane car guy lol....But I have already heard, "thats all they could get with charger from 8.4ltr? Pathetic", from a car buddy of mine lol. He is more of an import enthusiast obviously and more into hp/ltr sillyness.

Seriously though Im eagerly awaiting to see how they are going to deal with the added weight. With the addition of larger brakes I can see they are anticipating the added weight/performance but I'm wondering how much weight added and if they will remove any to try to offset the SC heft etc....Either way Im glad to hear Dodge listened to a very vocal majority of niche and potential buyers. Hope it sells out.

James1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking same thing 650 torque is low should be in the 700s

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking same thing 650 torque is low should be in the 700s
Agreed, easily in the 700s.

SC generates a lot of torque, not just HP increases.
Also, 155 HP increase seems VERY conservative for a low boost setup.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Transmission limitations???

That's my guess. The TR6060 runs out around there as I understand it. There are very few cars in the world over 700 ft-lbs out of the factory. Much less with a manual.

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's my guess. The TR6060 runs out around there as I understand it. There are very few cars in the world over 700 ft-lbs out of the factory. Much less with a manual.

Agreed. Since you mentioned about the very few cars in the world over 700lb ft from the factory I searched the web and found this list of top 100 most powerful cars in the world. Its ranking them by hp but torque figures are in there for most of the cars.

Not surprising most of the normal to mildly wild cars with ridiculous torque are either Mercs or have Merc componentry and are some form of auto or DCT. Those Merc autos are handling 738 tq while at the same time moving over 2 tons of sedan weight. Obviously with 640hp/600lb tq the Viper is on this list.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/the-100-most-powerful-cars-of-all-time.html

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
build a car everyone wants, and you still get ********, lol

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transmission limitations???
Don't know why there should be....look at the Hellcat's numbers.
Before the Hellcat announcement most were saying Dodge couldn't do a tranny for a car any higher powered than the G5.:rolleyes:

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that was the point. the Hellcat is restricted to 650lbs of torque.
Don't know why there should be....look at the Hellcat's numbers.
Before the Hellcat announcement most were saying Dodge couldn't do a tranny for a car any higher powered than the G5.:rolleyes:

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, got me confused. someone said it would have 650lbs of torque and you suggested it should be much higher. someone else suggests it is the transmission limits. An you question that comparing to the hellcat. (which has 650lbs). What is the point you are trying to make? That you think it should be higher and that the trans can handle it or something else?
Yes, 50 above the current V10.

EdwardETraylorIII

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is substantially higher than 650 lbs-ft of torque. Substantially. However, the final number is still in play (and the limiting factor is certainly NOT the motor).

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The motor can easily make more torque but the transmission can't handle it. Therefore, I assume that they are manipulating the torque in the tuning. If the computer gets cracked on the SC motor, watch out! Add some timing and fuel and you will be 700+ torque and probably more hp as well. This rumor with the new pricing was a smart move by dodge. There is hope yet from the viper!