Scan tool?

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there some sort of scan tool for my 97 viper? I want something that will read all the engine sensors. In my Camaro I have a "scanmaster", which is a small box like a radar detector that can display alot of info and reset codes. I'd love something like that for the Viper.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do a search on scanners. I seem to recall someone ordering one up before Christmas as a Christmas present to himself with that type of functionality.

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've searched already, but didn't find what I wanted.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like a generic one from autozone?

Yes. Autozone/Advance auto sell basic ones for like $60. All cars 1996-current are OBDII compliant. Nothing special required for the viper. the plug is right under the drivers side dash. But it wont really "display" anything if your CE light isnt on. Will just tell you "0" codes found..

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a laptop if that helps. DRB3 is a little pricey for me.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I'm reading that right I can view things like coolant temps, o2 volts, etc. with that? Do they sell them at auto parts stores?

NO...... The ONLY thing you will see is error codes with an OBDII reader.. If your check engine light is not on.. It will do NOTHING!!!

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear everyone talking about the Roe one but don't see it on his site?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My Actrons have served me well for reading and clearing codes.

You MAY find your interests/needs covered by getting an inexpensive scantool(less than $100.00) AND the EASE diagnostic software (about $300.00 by my memory) from Sean Roe with the correct cables FOR A VIPER. Call Sean and ask his advice.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I haven't got one, YET. But I do plan on getting one or possibly two. They are very popular in the Jeep world. According to their website it works on all Dodges(except diesel's) from 96 up.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As I have posted several times...NOT ALL said akter-market "promises" apply to Vipers other than the very basic OBD II code reading.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than the basic OBD scan tools you can find at PepBoys you can try out EASE Diagnostics scan software. I don't know about their PDA version but the software runs on your laptop and you plug in via a serial cable and monitor just about everything. Roe used to sell this software on his site. Some of the owners who tune/log with the Vec3 also log additional parameters with the EASE software.

OP
OP
T

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it does, but adapters are cheap.