Second Gear Problem

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I know its not skip shift. so, heres the dilema. just had lineloc installed, driving it away from dealership and NO SECOND GEAR. i can shift into second from first, i can shift into second from third or fourth and i can keep it in second BUT when in second gear NOTHING happens. you can rev it up as if the clutch was fully engaged cause you aint moving, just coasting along until you shift it into first, third or fourth. fifth and sixth also work fine.

any ideas?

only good thing is a loner viper

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all you gurus on line and no-one has some .02 worth? a little help here guys, im sposed to race tommorrow night and i think not having second gear might be a bit of a handicap, LOL

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer and blame it on them.
Sounds like you lost a snap ring locating the shifter fork.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had exactly these symptoms and it was the synchronizer teeth on the gear were all broken off. These are the dog teeth that the sliding collar engages (collar has internal teeth, gear has external teeth) when shifting between 1 and 2, not the gear teeth that engage the on the mainshaft. I doubt it's a snap ring on the fork, since you have the paired gear (1rst.) There are two hefty magnets in the bottom of the case, so the little bits are captive and don't get chewed up some more. It also won't make any other noise to help diagnose it. Unless it's a wierdly adjuster shifter, I think you might want to postpone the race.

(PS, having just rebuilt mine, if you end up with a broken transmission and want some dope to buy it from you, let me know.)

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, I was waiting for you to post, I just pulled that 'snap-ring thing' out
my @ss, not meant to be taken literally.

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so- it may be that the tranny is shot? i thought those things last forever, is this just bad luck or is it within the norm?

whats a tansmission cost?

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you end up with a broken transmission and want some dope to buy it from you, let me know

You're offering him drugs for his transmission??? (Ok it's stupid, but I did misinterpret it the first time I read it. Hey, I thought it was funny.)

I'll preface this by saying I don't know jack about transmissions, but could it be a problem with the skipshift lockout? Might as well look at the minor stuff first, right? (I know you said "I know it's not skipshift", but I'm assuming you meant you know you're not in the RPM range where skipshift should kick in... still may not mean something isn't broken, right?)

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost third gear exactly as you described. The transmission had to be replaced. I know of several cars that had this same problem-all covered under warranty.

Was it working before you took it into the dealer? Did you leave it there and pick it up later? If so, it sounds like somebody was "test driving" your car.

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep. drove it to the dealer tuesday morning and upon picking it up tuesday afternoon, its broke without even leaving the lot

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, it must still be under warranty. Don't you have an 01? Or is it a 98? Either case, let's hope no out of pocket expense for you. Good luck,

Mike

ThinkingViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IRONIC! My stealth went into an Ohio dodge dealer a few weeks ago for a clutch slave cylinder and and came out of the lot with no second gear also! I wish you better luck than I've had getting the issue resolved.

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, the dealer called today and said the transmision is shot (second gear is gone) and they feel its their responsibility. they said the mechanic mustve done something when either installing the lineloc or when roadtesting (can lineloc do this kinda damage??) so, they said theyre gonna take care of everything. my fingers are crossed.

lucky for me cause im outta warranty too

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound like things worked out for you,
Who knows what goes on when you leave your car(and keys) with
someone else. The linelock is not to blame.
Transmissions are pretty much R&R (remove and replace)- I don't think many dealers actually repair(which is good). If you have ever thought about
a clutch upgrade or anything else along that line - do it now.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What dealer are you using? Do you think they beat your car or maybe it was just ready to go on it's own? Did the test drive include 2nd gear burn outs?

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive known these guys for a long time, i dont think they beat it, but anything is possible as i was not present. it may have just been ready to go so to speak and bad timing hit the dealer, im not a mechanic so ive no clue how those things work. all i know is they said it was their fault and itd be taken care of. i went in this morning and theyve got the part(s) and are already working on it. i told them i have a new OEM clutch and balanced FW (thnx JonB)and they said bring it up itll be put in at no charge since the tranny is already out, so this kinda worked out to a good deal.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever see Ferris Buellers day off? I think the mechanic did a Ferrari 'test drive' on ya. Good thing they will fix it....but you have to wonder about the other damage the abuse might have caused, or will cause.

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperfreak, if i get that paranoid about the conspiracies and unfairness in life i think ill load the bullet for my headshot myself, LOL that was a funnyass scene in that movie wasnt it, LOL

96rto10, new gears actually, from borg warner. just fixing what is broke and also getting the install for toe OEM clutch and balanced FW for free.

i agree though, when i get the bucket home im gonna have to do a thorough oneceover

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ahh shiit, thats right; clutch and FW, nows a good time whilst the work is "free" i best get to callin jon b

I'd be interested in hearing the prices from JonB on that, in comparison to the prices on roeracing.com

BTW, that tranny would've cost you ~$5200 (I've had 2 changed now), why don't you have an extended warranty?!

OP
OP
V

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually i called to get the extende warranty info and to get it initialized a couple weeks ago and then i went on vacation so i didnt get to finishing it yet. top priority tomorrow though

clutch i got was OEM FW is aluminum, balanced, four-puck style. 19 lbs and sounds like a damnn good FW