security system draw on electrical system

Jason Fischbach

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys ...my 98 has a security system draw that kills the battery (brand new battery) after like 4-5 days. The first dealer couldnt find it.. the second dealer has and he is tracing wires. Also after getting it jumped I was driving it and it just would shut of coming to a stop I mean shut off. I researched a little bit here and it looks like that could be the the alarm module.....the car thinking it was stolen. Any help or experience in this so i can relay to my dealer so this doesnt turn into a project is appreciated. Only because you never know! The car will run great then wont want to run right at all. But the battery always dies no matter what. I think it seems all security related.

Also I have no choice but to go with the PS2 tires as I have been told the Kuhmos are on national back order oh well I would have like to have tried them.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you leave your alarm in "armed" mode, it will drain the battery pretty quick. Four or five days seems like an extremely short amount of time to me, but it might just be doing it's thing. Before digging too deep into it, you should try a battery tender to keep the battery topped off. What might be happening is that you are draining your battery way down, and it's not holding a charge the way it's supposed to. These cars are really finicky when it comes to battery condition, so your car might be cutting out because the battery is toast. First thing to do is make sure that your battery is fully charged and healthy, and see if you still have problems. If you still have problems, then the alarm wiring and control module would be a good place to check.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had an issue once on the key swich to reset the alarm. The back connector on it got put on wrong. My battery would drain within days also.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i personally dont ever leave it on over night. in a parking lot, yes.

if they want the car that bad, they will get and i dont care.....its insured.

OP
OP
J

Jason Fischbach

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys ..it turns out it was the security module and the key switch in the little glove box. Both had small draws. The alarm hadnt been working in quit sometime apparently I never really paid attention. I agree if they want it they will get it. My original battery lasted 10 yrs without one issue. The car at least for me has been bullet proof but it really doesnt have many miles either 15000. Im thinking of getting another one at least a 2008 with the additional power. The car just kicks as .
Thanks Guys

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960