Session is now closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The session is now live, please read the rules and enjoy. The posting of questions may now begin.

1) A single THREAD in this forum will be open for posting questions during the time period stated above, about thirty SRT Engineers will be answering the questions, so start thinking up those questions now.....

2) Post all Questions WITHIN THIS THREAD. Questions posted individually/outside of this THREAD will not be answered.

3) ONE, 1, uno, question per POST please (i.e. do not ask five questions within a single post). This is done to make it easier for the different experts to SEE and be able to RESPOND TO the individual questions.

4) *SRT will not answer any questions "pertaining to future product". Please respect this, and understand it is corporate policy.

5) EDIT BY LEE...ONE QUESTION PER POST, AND GIVE OTHERS A CHANCE TO POST. IF THE QUESTION WAS NOT ANSWERED TO YOUR SATISFACTION THE FIRST TIME IT IS UNLIKELY THEY CAN ANSWER IT DUE TO RESTRAINTS UPON THEM. SO DO NOT REPEATEDLY POST ASKING WHY YOUR QUESTION WAS NOT ANSWERED, OR WHY IT WAS NOT ANSWERED YET. THEY WILL GET TO IT. WE HAVE TWO HOURS. I WILL TEMPORARILY TURN ANYONE OFF WHO EXHIBITS A TENDENCY TO CONTINUALLY REPOST AND HOG THE FORUM REGARDING THEIR ONE INDIVIDUAL ISSUE. AND RUDENESS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. ON THE OTHER HAND DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS REGARDING ADDITIONAL TOPICS IF IT SEEMS SLOW AND OTHERS ARE NOT CHIMING IN. 6) I WILL BE YOUR MODERATOR THIS EVENING...ENJOY LEE

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Session is live

Thanks for joining us all on the message board…nice to see that we have your support!

I have owned 3 Vipers in the past (’94, ’95, & ’97) albeit I bought them all used; however, I bought a new/untitled 2005 SRT-10 on five days ago from Abernethy Dodge in Lincolnton NC (I live in Palm Coast FL).

When I took delivery I looked the car over and found that every wheel except for the driver’s side rear had marks on it, which appear to be from when they were originally mounted. The marks are along the edges by the tires but the tires are perfect. I brought this to the owner’s attention and he had not noticed them but said that if he had he would have had DC replace them - he told me to contact DC, which I did, and they told me to contact the selling dealer! Also, when I got the car home, I stripped off the wax and rewaxed it; I then noticed that the driver’s side rear bumper and area around the backup light was not cleared coated (rough/dull surface).

I am not sure how these quality problems allowed the car to be released in the first place. I would think that someone from the Viper area at DC would like to see what I am talking about and I would be willing to meet with someone (Zone Rep., etc.) at a Dodge Dealer close to me in Palm Coast FL. I could also send someone pictures if that was not possible. However, when I had my ’97 Viper, there were problems on the windshield frame and several DC reps. came to MD (where I used to live) in order to see the problem and subsequently correct the problems.

Thanks for your time,

Bob Ziolkowski (viperbob)

[email protected]

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My GTS pulls in alot of exhaust when driven with the windows open at all. Someone on these forums posted that the cause is most likely that the vents in the rear hatch area are stuck open. Before I go to the trouble of pulling all the various bits of trim, carpet, etc out of the hatch to get to these vents, do you agree with this assessment?

Viperlady

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I HAVE A 06 SRT/8 300, IT RUNS HIGH TEMPERATURES ESPECIALLY AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, CAN A 180 DEGREE THERMOSTAT BE INSTALLED FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE, WITHOUT ANY OTHER CHANGES

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Assuming I was to get a motor from a "donor SRT" car (and some folks seem to be wrecking them left and right lately....) - what year would you recommend for a race application? I.e. 2003 / 2005 with larger crank bolt, 2004 with different connecting rods (I think?) and could you list the subtle differences????

I know that the 2005 changes the location of the crank position sensor making some things more complicated / wiring harness changes, etc.

Anyway - thanks!

(Oh - and I totally learned my lesson and I won't ask Herb for Homelink EVER again.)

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

I HAVE A 06 SRT/8 300, IT RUNS HIGH TEMPERATURES ESPECIALLY AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, CAN A 180 DEGREE THERMOSTAT BE INSTALLED FOR BETTER PERFORMANCE, WITHOUT ANY OTHER CHANGES

The stock thermostat is full open at 215F. It is not a typical 195 degree thermostat like most people are used to. The Hemi is designed to run at the higher temperatures and we do not recommend installing a 180 thermostat. The SRT8s have one of the most robust cooling systems in the company. Don't worry about it.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hello again and one last thing regarding my 2005 Viper: when I am driving in 5th and 6th gear at about 70 MPH, if I give it more gas I hear/feel a slight thump from behind – is this normal? Otherwise, the car seems to shift and sound normal.

Thanks for your time,

[email protected]

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

Thanks for joining us all on the message board…nice to see that we have your support!

I have owned 3 Vipers in the past (’94, ’95, & ’97) albeit I bought them all used; however, I bought a new/untitled 2005 SRT-10 on five days ago from Abernethy Dodge in Lincolnton NC (I live in Palm Coast FL).

When I took delivery I looked the car over and found that every wheel except for the driver’s side rear had marks on it, which appear to be from when they were originally mounted. The marks are along the edges by the tires but the tires are perfect. I brought this to the owner’s attention and he had not noticed them but said that if he had he would have had DC replace them - he told me to contact DC, which I did, and they told me to contact the selling dealer! Also, when I got the car home, I stripped off the wax and rewaxed it; I then noticed that the driver’s side rear bumper and area around the backup light was not cleared coated (rough/dull surface).

I am not sure how these quality problems allowed the car to be released in the first place. I would think that someone from the Viper area at DC would like to see what I am talking about and I would be willing to meet with someone (Zone Rep., etc.) at a Dodge Dealer close to me in Palm Coast FL. I could also send someone pictures if that was not possible. However, when I had my ’97 Viper, there were problems on the windshield frame and several DC reps. came to MD (where I used to live) in order to see the problem and subsequently correct the problems.

Thanks for your time,

[email protected]

ViperBob - can you send your VIN (last 8) to "SRTengineer" and we can contact you about pictures etc - thanks.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

My GTS pulls in alot of exhaust when driven with the windows open at all. Someone on these forums posted that the cause is most likely that the vents in the rear hatch area are stuck open. Before I go to the trouble of pulling all the various bits of trim, carpet, etc out of the hatch to get to these vents, do you agree with this assessment?

Yes it is possible. Just pull back the carpet in the rear corners to inspect the vents.

OP
OP
L

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A clarification to our users...I got a few pm's saying "cannot start a new topic"
This is a SINGLE thread, to ask another question simply click REPLY on the last post and ask your new question. So there is no POST button available as that would start a new thread.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My '00 GTS has the Mopar Performance Race Controller (plus headers, no cats, K&N's, smooth tubes and Mopar cat-back exhaust - the 1.7 roller rockers are waiting to be installed). It runs very rich with this PCM. The PCM shows no error codes and is actually adding 3% fuel according to the adaptives. Is it normal for the Race Controller to run richer than the stock PCM or is there a problem with the car?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lee - can you please fix the quote tags in the srtengineers' replies so they are easier to read?

L8apx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry this isn't Viper related: do you have any suggestions on snow tires for my Grand Cherokee SRT8? My local dealer doesn't have any solutions. I'd be happy to buy dedicated wheels, assuming of course they're not extremely expensive.

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just purchased a 2005 Copperhead with 134 miles. My ViperTech says to drain the Mobile 1 and put in regular Motor oil (10-40) for the first 1000 miles - claims it will seat the rings better than the Mobile one and I'll get far more power out of the Engine. Comments ?

Regards,

John (Stray Cat)

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

Hello again and one last thing regarding my 2005 Viper: when I am driving in 5th and 6th gear at about 70 MPH, if I give it more gas I hear/feel a slight thump from behind – is this normal? Otherwise, the car seems to shift and sound normal.

Thanks for your time,

[email protected]

This sounds like normal Viper drivetrain lash. The car was tuned for quick throttle response, which does not help the "thump" you describe. Also, we minimized sound-deadening material to keep the weight down.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

My '00 GTS has the Mopar Performance Race Controller (plus headers, no cats, K&N's, smooth tubes and Mopar cat-back exhaust - the 1.7 roller rockers are waiting to be installed). It runs very rich with this PCM. The PCM shows no error codes and is actually adding 3% fuel according to the adaptives. Is it normal for the Race Controller to run richer than the stock PCM or is there a problem with the car?

What is rich? You basically have all the recommended parts. I would say there is no problem with the car or controller but I would need to know what your AFR numbers are from a dyno trace. I assume it still runs strong.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the 2005 Yellow Fever VCA edition SRT-10. New it had the "Dreaded Shock Rattle" when hitting bumps. The aftermarket shock bolts helped some, but I still get some of the "rattle". My 2003 SRT-10 had non of this. What changed and what can you recommend to eliminate it?

PBR

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What is rich? You basically have all the recommended parts. I would say there is no problem with the car or controller but I would need to know what your AFR numbers are from a dyno trace. I assume it still runs strong.

At 2500 RPM the A/F is just under 14.0. It drops to roughly 11.8 by 3350 RPM and stays there until 5700 RPM. It then drops to under 11.0 by 6000 RPM.

Do those numbers seem ok to you?

BTW: thanks for holding these sessions with us.

...and yes the car runs strong. It has run 12.18 here in Vegas on 7 year old Pilot Sports. I was about .5 sec off at VOI, but consistently trapping 155 to 116.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

Sorry this isn't Viper related: do you have any suggestions on snow tires for my Grand Cherokee SRT8? My local dealer doesn't have any solutions. I'd be happy to buy dedicated wheels, assuming of course they're not extremely expensive.

The RS-A's are pretty capable in the snow. Still many of us at SRT appreciate the killer performance of specific winter tires in the snow.

Pirelli makes a Scorpion snow tire in a 255/45R20 that will fit the front and rear wheels. We suggest you contact some tire experts like The Tire Rack folks in South Bend to see what else is available and what they recommend. I know they have a fitment for the SRT8 sedans which uses an aftermarket 18" wheel and a 235/60R18 winter tire, too. The bolt circle is different between the sedans and the Jeep, but perhaps they can come up with an 18" wheel that clears the brakes, too, to expand your options.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

I just purchased a 2005 Copperhead with 134 miles. My ViperTech says to drain the Mobile 1 and put in regular Motor oil (10-40) for the first 1000 miles - claims it will seat the rings better than the Mobile one and I'll get far more power out of the Engine. Comments ?

Regards,

John (Stray Cat)

Your best bet is to stay with the Mobil One. This is the oil that the engine was developed with and will deliver optimum performance. Follow the break in procedure in the owners manual....page 52....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

MIKE, Thanks again for your time.

Are you guys gonna KICK ASP at the F-16 races this year?
I suspect by then that new product wont be new, and we can see
a First Race of the breed? Drivers announced? BRING YOUR GAS CREDIT CARD

Jon Brobst

Mamba90

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please help! What is wrong with my viper? Bought '05 Viper new. Motor runs rough at lower RPM's, drops a cylinder often and randomly, felt and heard through drivetrain, I'm not lugging the car, In stop and go traffic you can go no lower than first gear and stay with the pace. AFTER 5 OR 6 LIGHT I WANT TO SELL THE CAR! I have already been to a Viper tech, with no luck.

Mamba90

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please help! What is wrong with my viper? Bought '05 Viper new. Motor runs rough at lower RPM's, drops a cylinder often and randomly, felt and heard through drivetrain, I'm not lugging the car, In stop and go traffic you can go no lower than first gear and stay with the pace. AFTER 5 OR 6 LIGHT I WANT TO SELL THE CAR! I have already been to a Viper tech, with no luck

Wolf Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I purchased a 2005 SRT 10 and I am concerned about the quality of the vehicle. In the first year of ownership, Dealer replaced convertible top frame, window motors, hood because of cracks in the paint and had to repaint it. Also, I had a problem with a noise in the drive train and transmission. After contacting DC, the Service Rep never inspected or test drove the vehicle and I was told that this was a normal condition. Chrysler cannot find anyone from Chrysler to inspect the powertrain and test drive my vehicle to address my concern. Are there any problems with the power transmission and differential or any service bulletins? The problem I still have with the vehicle is that the paint does not match "race yellow". I need force to open the convertible top, driver's window is not closing completely, and there is the noice in the drive train. Would appreciate any comments and/or a recommendation to a competent dealer where I could have a DC Rep inspect my vehicle. Thank you. Wolfgang Schulz, Bradenton, Florida.

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you very much. I want to put either the Mopar Street Exhaust or the Mopar Track Exhaust on the car as well. I am being told that the Mopar Street Exhaust is the best bet if I do not plan on racing the car. (I do not). Did SRT test the Mopar Street Exhaust and does it make a difference in your opinion in Power/Sound ?

Sincerely,

John (Stray Cat)

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

At 2500 RPM the A/F is just under 14.0. It drops to roughly 11.8 by 3350 RPM and stays there until 5700 RPM. It then drops to under 11.0 by 6000 RPM.

Do those numbers seem ok to you?

BTW: thanks for holding these sessions with us.

The small fuel trim you are seeing in closed loop indicates that your engine is closely matched to the configuration that was used to create the calibration. The air/fuel ratios you are seeing are what we would expect.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

Assuming I was to get a motor from a "donor SRT" car (and some folks seem to be wrecking them left and right lately....) - what year would you recommend for a race application? I.e. 2003 / 2005 with larger crank bolt, 2004 with different connecting rods (I think?) and could you list the subtle differences????

I know that the 2005 changes the location of the crank position sensor making some things more complicated / wiring harness changes, etc.

Anyway - thanks!

(Oh - and I totally learned my lesson and I won't ask Herb for Homelink EVER again.)

If you are just blueprinting the engine, and not significantly increasing power, any model year should be OK. The 2004 has special powdered-metal rod forgings, which are lighter and have less weight variance than the forged 2003 rods. The smaller crank nose/bolt on the 2004 engines was done to easily identify engines with the new rods, because they have different size journals. Also, the 2003 cranks had to be balanced with heavy metal in the counterweights due to the heavier 2003 rods.

You mentioned the difference in crank sensor location. Keep in mind that an '03 or '04 setup with the flywheel target sensor might require different shimming for a new engine. The '05 sensor location, in the middle of the engine, does not require shims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456