Session is now closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Re: Session is live

At VOI9 I drag raced my 2005 for the first time. I did three runs as fast as the session would allow (about 10 minutes between runs). Each run was slower than the previous run, and the third run did not break 100 MPH. It was like the engine went flat below 4000 RPM's. The water temp was not extremely hot. Can you explain what was happening, or if there is something I should be looking for?
Thanks for these sessions!
PBR
. . . . . . . . . . . We have never heard of an issue like that. Did this only happen once? If not, see you dealer. It's very difficult to diagnose this issue over a web forum.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 03 Viper takes 10w-30 Mobil 1 per the owners manual yet the new 06 Vipers take 0w-40 mobil 1. Should I change to the new 0w-40 or stick to the 10w-30?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

The stock Paxton system for the Gen III has now been around for a number of years. (I have a 2006 coupe prepared by Woodhouse with the stock Paxton installation, Eibachs, Motons,corner balanced, competition coupe oil pan, Corsa track cat back exhaust,tightened shifter mechanism and skip shift eliminated. It runs perfectly.). There was also an article on this application in the Viper Quarterly. Are you all generally pleased with what you have seen/heard regarding the stock Paxton installation? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Bob

We can't really comment on the Paxton...only because we haven"t done any development work on it. Your best bet is to keep track of the buzz on the forums, they're your best bet.......

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

Is there a paintcode for the yellow wheels that came on the 96' red/yellow "McVipers"? Thank you for the help

Why don't you send us a note directly to SRTengineer - We think some of our Design Office Gurus can dig this out from the vault.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

I know future product isn't discussed, but what would the goals, or areas of improvement, be for the Viper? IF it could be made better.
I hope this is general enough of a question.
:)
+1 on thanks for taking the time for these discussions.
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .

Better, faster, stronger! We are looking into bionics.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is there a special paint I could buy (or bodyshops have) to repaint my glovebox door? I have had it painted once before but the black really doesnt match. A couple other bodyshops refused the work because they said they knew they wouldnt be able to get it to match

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I sold three cars to buy my 2005 Copperhead - including my everyday driver. I need an everyday driver and am seriously considering the SRT4 Caliber. Looks like a smokin little car. When can we expect to see it in the showrooms ?

Regards,

John (Stray Cat)

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

I would like to do a few things to increase performence, one was an exhaust noted in an earlier post. The other I have been thinking about is a K&N Box. In your opinion, what are the top three or four mods to make without decreasig reliability, yet giving a little extra punch/performance ?

Regards,

John (Stray Cat)

X
x
x
I think your talking about your 2005 Viper??? I would get the street exhaust (P4510608). Addressing your "decreasing reliability"...well that's tough and intake would certainly help, the underdrive crank pulley (P4510177), and the lightweight flywheel (P4510179).

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a 06 VCA eddition coupe and for what ever reason my tranny has always shifted very notchy and not very well. I put a comp coupe shifter but still it shifts aweful. My other vipers never shifted this bad. what can i do

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can the tire pressure monitor computer be programed to accept 8 sensors so we can run two different sets of wheels without having to take the car to a dealer?
Thanks for this forum!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Running Design Changes

What running design improvements were made to the SRT10 Viper engine from 2003 to 2006? The connecting rod tidbit is significant. Other than cam bolts, Anything else upgraded / improved we might have missed?

JonB

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

My 03 Viper takes 10w-30 Mobil 1 per the owners manual yet the new 06 Vipers take 0w-40 mobil 1. Should I change to the new 0w-40 or stick to the 10w-30?

The owners manual indicates using 10W30 for the '03 and by '06 we have moved to the 0W40. Both will work fine. The 0W40 oil has the most stable additive package available per Mobil 1. Intensive testing with the 0W40 for the '06 package demonstrated the overall capability of the slipery synthetic.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

Is there a special paint I could buy (or bodyshops have) to repaint my glovebox door? I have had it painted once before but the black really doesnt match. A couple other bodyshops refused the work because they said they knew they wouldnt be able to get it to match
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .We don't specify any color match paint for interior trim bits. Sorry.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

I have a 06 VCA eddition coupe and for what ever reason my tranny has always shifted very notchy and not very well. I put a comp coupe shifter but still it shifts aweful. My other vipers never shifted this bad. what can i do
x

The short throw shifter would actually make the shift quality worse. Did you hurt your trans with your engine mods (704 rwhp)?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

Is there a way to get a copy of a window sticker for older (Gen 1-2) Vipers? A lot of us have tried but not had any luck due to the age of the cars
.................. Send in a note to SRTengineer with your VIN - we still have label info for older cars, but not all the way back. it's worth a try.

ResumeSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is a lot of controversy on different forums about which oil is "best" for the SRT8's. In the opinion of many the factory recommended Mobile 1 0w40 is the obvious choice, but many think that there is something better out there.

Can you comment on this opinion of someone who insists that "15-50" is better, he says the oil pressure is higher and the oil runs cooler...

"0/40 in my opinion is a bit to thin for me... the 0w pourability or flow ability is not that much different and i believe is measured at 35 below 0...the 15w offers better protection...may not flow as well at -35 but i dont live in those conditions...the 40wt is hot viscosity at 212 degrees of course it will breakdown sooner than 50wt. I have noticed the engine is quieter and the oil runs about 10 degrees cooler with about 5lbs more of pressure."

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It seems a number of SRT-10 owners have unusually stiff 1st-to-2nd gear shifts until the trans warms up. Is this to be expected, and if not, what can be done? Trans oil change?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is there anything that can be done about the wheel hop problem. Is it a driveline angle issue. 2006 coupe.

Jim

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No it was like that when new and stock. Just very notchy. I am wondering if I just got a bad tranny. On the new Viper please work on the tranny of the new Viper to shift more smoothly. My Dads VOI eddition coupe shifts way better than mine. I really think it is the tranny.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My headgaskets were replaced under warranty, but before the new MLS design was released, so I still have the old paper style. What precautions can I take to help these gaskets last?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score

There is a lot of controversy on different forums about which oil is "best" for the SRT8's. In the opinion of many the factory recommended Mobile 1 0w40 is the obvious choice, but many think that there is something better out there.

Can you comment on this opinion of someone who insists that "15-50" is better, he says the oil pressure is higher and the oil runs cooler...

"0/40 in my opinion is a bit to thin for me... the 0w pourability or flow ability is not that much different and i believe is measured at 35 below 0...the 15w offers better protection...may not flow as well at -35 but i dont live in those conditions...the 40wt is hot viscosity at 212 degrees of course it will breakdown sooner than 50wt. I have noticed the engine is quieter and the oil runs about 10 degrees cooler with about 5lbs more of pressure."
. . . . . . . . . . . .
15W-50 will be a cold cranking problem at the temperature extremes we must design to. 0W-40 is pleny thick at 212F. The 0W-40 will be better for fuel economy, too. The engine is designed for it. Imagine the controversy if we required 0W-20 like a LOT of other cars...

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You said "Send in a note to SRTengineer with your VIN - we still have label info for older cars, but not all the way back. it's worth a try. "

Do you mean that we should send a PM to your account on these forums or is there another account to send the info to?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As per your request, I want to send the last 8 of my VIN; however, when I try to send a PM it states that the SRT Engineer is not accepting...maybe later?

Thanks...Bob Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper