Shame

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel like the largest idiot in the world.

There is now one less viper.

I was accelerating fairly hard in second.... but not redlining it, shifted quickly to third (was 99.9% sure it was third), but it was actually first. When I let out the clutch, surprise, and the rearend came around quickly. I was on an exit ramp with a slight turn (maybe 15 degrees). I tried to recover, over corrected, then hit an embankment at an angle and flipped the car sideways once or twice and landed upright. The airbags did not deploy.

It felt like after the tires locked up in the rear, and then gripped again I was shot like a car on rails in the direction the car was pointed (not parallel with the road and towards the embankment).

I am sore all over, but mostly I am depressed and sad and ashamed with my driving ability.... going into the wrong gear and then not able to recover. My girlfriend was also with me and she is OK, bruised and a few abrasions. I have been apologizing profusely to her. Right now I feel horrible. I am, however, glad we are both OK. My main concern was my girlfriend and I refused treatment until they checked her out.

It was a 55 MPH road, and I think I was going about 60 - 65 at the time I shifted... I shifted somewhere between 4500 - 5000 RPM in second and hit first. The officer did not appear to like me, or the fact that it was a Viper, and issued me a reckless driving ticket. I did indicate I was going over the 55 MPH to be honest. I realy screwed up and probably deserve it, but I was hoping he would go easy on me seeing that I will obvioulsy suffer in the long run. No other cars were involved or nearby (it was about 10:30 PM).

I had a few problems before going from second to third, but generally knew when I selected first by mistake and slowly let out the clutch realizing the mistake. This time I was so sure I had third and let the clutch out relatively quickly, but was wrong, and it bit me hard.

I'll take pictures and post, so perhaps someone else can be more careful than I was. With the composite materials on this car, it looks very messy with all the splintered parts. The passenger compartment was very well protected and largely undamaged, we were even able to open the driver's door.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all their help and support. I wish I had a better story to post.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad you are OK - it sure could have been worse. The car can be replaced.

And don't be too ******* yourself.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IT was good that you both walked away and its true the car can be replaced.

But I have a question, To go from hi rev second gear back into first It should have been hard to get it in that gear again? Any body know for sure?

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joshua...sorry to hear of your misfortune but most important, you and your girlfriend are alright. As for your snake, hopefully it can be repaired to as good as new. Oh, don’t delay in retaining a law firm to assist with that traffic ticket as there is no sense having salt added to the wound. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
J

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was extremely easy, and always has been for me on my Viper. I used to have an S2000 with a short shifter and tight shift pattern, I never really got used to the Vipers shift pattern. I bought the MGW First Strike and that helped some. I've had the Viper for about 30 days... clearly did not learn it well enough. I thought I would be able to recover, but those tires grip hard once they resume traction.

I was so certain I was in third, but it went very easily into first (where I couldn'e really tell whether I had first or third). I had shifted from second to first a few times prior, but had the gut feeling and was always cautious and slowly let out the clutch and saw RPMs rise (and chanted "duh"). This time I was confident I was in third and let the clutch out quickly, but was not in third... but first. It could be that I bang gears too hard.... but I think I shift normally.

It felt like someone yanked the emergency brake... the nose dove some, RPM's shot up and the rear got very loose. It would've been nice if the same technology to lock out second for the skip shift was used to prevent you from going into first at too high a speed. However, the fault still lies with the driver here.

It could've been much worse. I keep playing it over in my head and wish I could go back.... it all went downhill when I selected first gear by mistake and let out the clutch with too much confidence. I recall a video of a guy doing something similar at the track in a red RT10, downshifting at the wrong place and losing it (VipercrashPIR.mpg). Not exactly the same, but similar to what I did, I guess.

This is a good forum, so I figure I might as well post my shame and be honest about it so I never ever do this again.

04 THE HARD WAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your lucky to be ok! My biggest fear is to hurt someone else, I always figured if I got hurt...I deserved it.

I haven't put the SRT/10 into first yet but I've done it in the old GTS. Fortunatly, it was going in a straight line.

The biggest problem with cars with such massive grip is that when you do lose it you tend to lose is big. The SRT is much more forgiving than my 94 RT/10, but sometimes (like on an highway ramp) It's scary to realize just how fast these cars will corner.

Glad everyone is O.K.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Josh, man I am really sorry to hear that. Let's hope it can be fixed good as new - sounds like it looks worse than it is - no airbags, so keep your fingers crossed! Main thing is no one was hurt.
I've come very close to doing the same thing so I understand how easy it is to have happen to you. As Janni said, don't be too ******* yourself. Cars can be repaired, and yes, definitely fight the ticket. Should be able to get that kicked down to "improper driving" or failure to maintain control, whatever.
Good luck and let me know if I can help out any.
JOhn

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh, our feelings go out to you. Thanks for being candid enough to share this experience with us. It just might help prevent another occurance. This sort of thing has happened to Viper drivers before. Somewhere on this web site is a clip of a Viper driver doing it at a drag strip -- he's hauling down the strip and then all of a sudden the rear end comes around and he drives right into the wall!

Of course you realize that these cars are not to be taken casually. It's serious business driving a vehicle with the power and handling characteristics of a Viper. We can only hope your insurance gets you back in the saddle again. As for your girlfriend . . . maybe you can find the dragstrip video and show her that others have done it too! Good luck. :2tu:

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that’s a major, major bummer alright. :( Still, in the most important way, it was a very, very fortunate day for you, Josh. You're alive and so is your girlfriend. In fact, you both walked away! Not everyone gets that fortunate, ESPECIALLY in a convertible rollover. Don’t lose sight of the significance of that fact and remind yourself of it often over the next few days. You’re alive man! WOOOO HOOOOO!!!

I too have downshifted like that before. It's an easy, very easy, mistake to make.

You have a cool website, by the way. And some other nice toys too.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need an EXCELLENT body shop with lots of Viper experience - owned by VCA member - contact Kenny Hawkins Automotive - 919.851.0242 They do solid work and work well with all insurance companies. If your car can be fixed - I'd have them do it - they do all our work and we've referred many Viper owners to the shop - all with excellent results. They'll take care of you. Talk to Kenny.

OP
OP
J

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys for all of the thoughts and advice. I will keep it in mind.... my guess is that it is totaled since there are some areas in the frame that have stress cracks... but who knows. I feel human at this point now, like I made a big fat mistake. I went to the crash site and inspected the car today. I'm not so sure I flipped or rolled the car now.... rather I may have spun on the embankment and the front and rear clip took turns getting chewed on by the lower end of the embankment. There is not a scratch on the mirrors or windshield post or the convertible top (it was up at the time). Some damage (not much though) may have been done when they pulled it out.

The passenger compartment is entirely in tact. I think that speaks well for the car.

I've posted pictures of the car and site here: http://www.viiper.com/crash/

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are ok. So the SRT is pretty solid in a rollover if you are ok. I've had my share of bad shifts too. Live and learn.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch man...sorry to hear about your loss! Doesn't look like the car has rolled over but you never know. Hope your back in a snake soon :2tu:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to see you totaled your Viper. I can't imagine that Viper being saved.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, those pictures really are tragic. I am very, very glad to hear you guys made it out safely as the car looks like it took a helluva beating. I am no bodyshop, but my guess is that it will indeed be totaled just based on the pictures. Looks like darn near every body panel will be replaced except maybe the doors (can't see the rear driver's quarter very well). If your insurance lowballs you on the value (not uncommon with big claims), contact JonB at PartRack and/or some of the dealers here that can provide you with a realistic value on your car.

If you think you will be getting another SRT to replace it, you might also want to grab your MGW goodies before somebody else does. Don't know how easy it will be to claim them on insurance but they look like they held up well!

Again, very, very sorry to see this happen, especially to such an enthusiastic owner that just yesterday posted how much they were enjoying their car. I sure hope you are back in one soon!

JohnNad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh
Glad you're OK, you're not the only one here to lose a snake. I did it just after month as well on a 04. I spun out thinking I could correct but when this car regrips it almost launches, and in my case into a block wall. The only positive side is that my nor my passenger was hurt and insurance covered it. within a month I was back in another 04 (thanks to bill p) happy again, however I haven;t been able to put it tothe metal yet. don't worry, that shame will go away after a few weeks, especially if you replace it.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear of your accident, but at least you are ok. Your girl will forgive you!

When you shift from 2nd to 3rd, turn your palm away from you, this makes it easier to push the stalk forward and right. And it reduces the tendency to push it into 1st.

My problem is, I hit 5th instead of third!

Hope you get your snake fixed! Then go to "Viper Days", its a good high performance driving school, you will love it!

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Angels were with you and your girlfriend and you got out safely and the rest is metal and plastic that can be replaced. I would push for a write off because no matter how well you fix it, it will never be the same and trouble free.

Don't stay too long off the road, get another one and start driving it asap so as to rebuild your confidence as a driver and not be nervous when you're on the road. Doing this with your girlfriend will help you both get over the trauma and get on with life. It will prove to be good healing. You acknowledged your mistake and you did the candid thing by revisiting the site and figuring out what went wrong. You did your best and that's what counts and this is what will get your through this incident to eventually look back at it as a learning exeperience, this is what life is all about.

You are correct in that DC should build in that safety feature, maybe your contacting them and showing them what happened will help you get over it faster and them build safer Vipers. It's a good safety idea!

I know the speed of the situation grabs you suddenly before you have time to react and it's too late now, but what if you would have depressed the clutch again as soon as you realized it was first, would that have helped or hurt? What would have happened? It's hindsight and it's easy to say, but I wonder?

I hope you recover well and looking forward to seeing you in the new Viper. Remember, we learn and become better by our mistakes.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
up and away is what I think to myself when it comes time for the 2-3. It's a damn scary shift. Sorry to hear about your accident, the car can always be replaced.

there's more than enough new SRT-s still sitting on dealers lots :laugh:

No but seriously, glad you're ok.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Good to hear that you're ok. It would be interesting to see how many people have done the same 2 - 1 shift when trying to hit 3rd. I would be on that list! Right after I did it - I upgraded to the B&M shifter and feel much more confident - but still get that "pucker" every now and then.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just wanted to let you know that I am glad that you and your girlfriend are ok.
I have also made that 3 to 1 shift, in one of my old GTS's. Luckily I didnt let the clutch out.
There are lots of SRT-10 Vipers for sale. You will be in another one before you know it. :2tu:

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much what everyone else has said. I've spun a Viper as well, though fortunately not into anything more damaging than mud. It's not difficult to do!

You and your GF are OK, which is the most important thing. Everything else can be replaced or repaired as good as new. You'll put this incident behind you and be out on the road again before you know it.

Viper IV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh
Wow, what a reality check. Glad your up and around to talk about it and not someone else telling this story.
I'll bet all the VCA members will think about this post when they get into their Vipers and go for the 3rd shift.
I agree, the car looks totaled.

I had my girlfriend in a Vette and dropped it into a backhoe dug pit at night (was out of sight). She forgave me and married me 33 years ago. We've all made mistakes.

Thank you for sharing this post.
Bob

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh....

What I said above about a body shop.....

I take it back.

They are good........

But they are not miracle workers.

Glad you are OK - that car need wheels, pretty much a complete body, most likely a front and rear clip (if not a complete frame) It's dead.

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work for GEICO... we totaled that car. Owner is getting a bunch of money even after we pay the leinholder. More than enough for a new downpayment and then some :laugh:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The integrity of the steel cage surrounding the occupants saves another Viper owner from serious harm. We may drive a very , very fast car, but we also drive a very strong, safe car. All our prayers go to you and your girlfriend for a speedy recovery, as though your injuries are relatively minor, you are going to be sore for awhile. Have a wonderful weekend and many of us have been in your shoes at one time or another in our lives - don't be too ******* yourself.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad that your girlfriend and you are OK!

I know the feelings. I crashed my beautiful GTS this summer.
It will take some time to recover. In the end it is a car only and you both are well - that´s important!

Thanks to Bill I am able to explore the Alps in a beautiful RT/10 now

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960