shift light or shift beep

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My previous car had a shift beep from the factory. I mainly see shift lights when looking online, no doubt due to the noise from some of these monsters. I want to keep the car looking stock so I was leaning towards a shift beep, but wanted to hear others thoughts.

Also, any particular brands anyone recommends for either?

Reaction score
Raptor shift light....$92 from the website......PM me for details on a spare NIB I never installed....if interested. We bought at group price of $75 (I believe)....shipped, of course. :)

Sorry for the hijack! I have a shift light integrated in my G-Tech RR and think I would rather have the light than the beep. You aren't going to hear ANY beep in my car at 5K+ RPM's!!!! LOL!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I am too old to even think about a "shift light" or a "shift beep". Way back in the 60's my Dad taught me how to power shift in his 63 Impala SS 409/425 and he relied on his ears and the seat of his pants to tell him when to shift. How times have changed, no offense, but a tach is really of no use to this old fart. ;) :2tu:

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no offense taken, i just like the idea of knowing EXACTLY when I am pushing it rather than playing by ear.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
relied on his ears and the seat of his pants to tell him when to shift.

I added a shift light because I found out on my first track day that there was so much going on that I forgot to shift once or twice! Maybe after I get used to the experience that won't happen, or maybe its because I have become an old fart. The addition of the helmet didn't help either, even though things were not really quiet.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raptor shift light....$92 from the website......PM me for details on a spare NIB I never installed....if interested. We bought at group price of $75 (I believe)....shipped, of course. :)

Sorry for the hijack! I have a shift light integrated in my G-Tech RR and think I would rather have the light than the beep. You aren't going to hear ANY beep in my car at 5K+ RPM's!!!! LOL!

I jst bought a raptor light for My SRT/10. They are very cool.. :2tu:

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of the raptor light installed? The stock look is very important to me.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go crazy if my car beeped at me every time it thought it was time for me to shift. I have a Silverado that goes ding ding ding for all kinds of stupid crap.

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well it only beeps at the redline, hopefully you arent redlining the car 100% of your shifts ;)

Reaction score
well it only beeps at the redline, hopefully you arent redlining the car 100% of your shifts ;)

Gotta ship Christmas gifts tomorrow....let me know if you want the shift light and I'll box it and send tomorrow. :)

Note....this is NOT a classified....just trying to help a brother out. :)

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are shifting at the red line you are way too late.
agreed, that's why I like the beep system. It gives you 3 pre beeps which you set what rpms to have each beep at, so you can get use to the timing. A nice tool for amatuer drivers like myself.

it looks like the power curve dies at about 5500 on my dyno sheet. Do you shift at 5500 rpm?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jwbond,
I, also am interested in the "beep" system.

http://marketplace.s2ki.com/s2ki/product.php?productid=183&cat=3

I instruct at track days at Pacific Raceway, and drove an S2000 with the beep system, including the warning beeps; it was great, and your focus is not detoured from the track, just listen for the beeps; they are plenty loud enough with a helmet on. In fact, the first time it went off, I asked what it was.
Let me know if you get this installed and where all the wiring connections are.
Thanks.

Later,

D

DAMN YANKEE

What would be nice is a product that projects up into the windsheild like a HUD. Perhaps mounting on top of the steering wheel column (pads fit there nicely)

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This I received back in an Email asking the question about the usage of this with a Viper:

"This product is designed for the 4 cylinder S2000 motor application only.
We've not designed it nor tested it to work on any other car and don't
suggest you try to use it in an untested application."

http://marketplace.s2ki.com/s2ki/product.php?productid=183&cat=3

good eye, but surely they make something similar for mopar...right?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a raptor shift light in my track car, love it. No noise, just the light in my left perimeter. Have it set at 6200. My tranny temps have been high lately because I havn't been shifting enough lately, so it prompts me, plus if I am working on a certain apex I can set it ahead of time

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a raptor light for My SRT/10. They are very cool.. :2tu:

SRT/10 !!?? When did this happen? His and Hers vipers now? or did you sell one off?

Congratulations either way!!
When will I get to check it out?

Lance
Hi Lance,
We bought the truck (Night Runner) last week from Woodhouse could not pass it up. We still have all 4 cars for now what a PITA !! :D
Are you going to Super Car Sunday this weekend?