Shifter/ Engine Temps

FlashFyre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've own my baby for the past year now. Got a couple of questions:

1. In neutral the shifter vibrates pretty badly. In gear, its rock solid. I'm guessing its the motor mounts?

2. The engine temps get pretty warm during city driving. The temp climbs to half way between last bold hash to the hash just before the 250 mark. When it reaches a certain point, the temps will then go back to the last bold hash and then slowly continue the climb back again. During hwy driving the temps are below 190 with the A/C on. The coolant was changed by the previous owner last year or the year previous. Is this normal?

Thanks,

97 GTS 13,000 miles

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:nono:

It's probably never had a coolant flush.

I'd bet the motor mounts are at least torn. Those little rubber guys dont last long.

Never hurts to check them out.

:usa:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like RobZilla said, It would not hurt you to at least check the motor and tranny mounts to see what kind of shape they are in. Mine (shifter) vibrates a little but not a lot. As far as the temp gauge, with my '01 I have never had it get as high as you were describing except when I was in vegas for VOI 9. Might be worth it too at least take a look at your coolant.
:nono:

It's probably never had a coolant flush.

I'd bet the motor mounts are at least torn. Those little rubber guys dont last long.

Never hurts to check them out.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are interested in a a writeup on some of the cooling system mods I've done, which includes a lot of detailed info on gauge readings etc, lemme know. I can PM you the link to that. I drive my car in 110 degree weather all the time with better temps than most.

And yes, get new mounts. That is cut-n-dried just do it. My shifter moves zilcho.

OP
OP
F

FlashFyre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Concerning mounts. Should I even bother replacing with stock mounts? Or would going with Woodhouse mounts be worth the coin?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you want to do. If you want to keep the car OEM then get the stock mounts, however if you do plan on replacing with a different mount from what i've read the Woodhouse mounts are the way to go. :)
Concerning mounts. Should I even bother replacing with stock mounts? Or would going with Woodhouse mounts be worth the coin?

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had my car SCT tuned and got the fans to come on sooner. Keeps it cool and increased 30HP RW and 32 Torque. Tuned on 91 pump gas.94 should pull another 20hp

Last edited:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stay with stock mounts or possibly do the Woodhouse motor mounts and keep the stock trans mount. I hate the vibration !!!! It "may" mostly be due to the trans mount.
I was running low nines at over 150 1/4 mile with stock 70,000 mile mounts. The only reason I changed, the turbo set-up has custom steel to make extra room for piping.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We paid for that stick vibration. I even replaced the mounts with springs so it would vibrate more. When I drive my Viper I want to feel it.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was some vibration in the beginning that I did not like with the new Woodhouse engine and trans mounts; but, it went away after not too much drive time. My car is stock HP; though. I am happy with the new mounts.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was some vibration in the beginning that I did not like with the new Woodhouse engine and trans mounts; but, it went away after not too much drive time. My car is stock HP; though. I am happy with the new mounts.

That is normal. They need to settle in.

OP
OP
F

FlashFyre

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, my shifter shakes so much my arm shakes up to my shoulder when I'm holding it. I will be getting the new mounts sometime this fall to install next spring. Thanks for the replies

steelskeet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced mine with Woodhouse-Engine and trans.
There was a lot of vibration at first. Just took a while
for things to break in. One of the better mods I have done.
Car feels much more solid.