Shifter knobs

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are pics of the different knobs I have for the mopar hurst shifter. I really like the hurst shifter -very quick shifts. Big difference over stock

All three have Viper logo. You can get the Viper logo in 3D on Mgw knobs

First pic is the Hurst ball type -I like the looks of this knob but I needed a little more leverage. For me a little to short.

Second pic is the mgw first strike-Has a good feel-very nice. Very good to use on stock shifter.

Third pic is the mgw gripper round knob-very nice -good feel -I use it more than other knobs.

The mgw knobs are at 4" in height including shaft.

11160Mopar_Hurst_Short_Shifter.jpg

11160100_4740_edited-1.jpg

Picture_016_edited-2.jpg

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the last one the best. Drove a Viper that had one and it felt just as good or better than stock.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the numer 1 but really dont like it, I plan on getting number 3. Numer 1 looks cool though

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1 does look good but is way to short for me-shifts are little hard-seems like I had more miss shifts with this knob.

I like #3 the best -however # 2 has a nice grip

#3 will come down some more - With my back problems I wanted a little more leverage.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have number 2 and number 3. Both work well. Not sure which one I like best, kinda like a pretty blonde and a pretty brunet, tough choice. :2tu:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is mine from MGW. Tried all others and like this the best...

9384DSC04188.JPG

Adding an extension just didnt do it for me. it lost some of the firmness and mechanical feel.

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a little longer shaft (if needed) for the Mopar. I'm having this installed this winter.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBarrow-They are embroidred floor mats from US Speed. They have a nice selection. It has the Viper logo with Viper Srt 10 on the matt and blue binding. Very reasonable.

Nader - like your interior. Red & black is beautiful.

Viper X #2 knob has the best feel of the three. It feels more comfortable in my hand than the others. So I use it a lot. But I think the round knob looks better.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carelton--Are you planning to put on a new shifter like the hurst this winter?

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned both mgw knobs are 4" including the shaft and with the hurst shifter I dont think you would want any higher than what mgw knobs give you. On the hurst shaft you have about 1" of thread so you can bring the mgw up fairly high.

You could go with the stock knob and shaft on the Hurst. But that is rather high and defeats the purpose. But believe me some at the drag track do use the stock knob on hurst shifter to get leverage.

Now the shaft on the hurst shifter sets higher than stock. Havent measured but between 1/2-1" higher.

I would get the shifter with one of the mgw knobs. You can adjust it to your liking.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will using one of the MGW knobs on the stock shifter lower the overall height? I'd like to retain the stock height but just change the knob.

Thanks

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes it will because the stock ball has a long shaft and is all one piece. But I used the first strike with stock shifter for a while and it worked very good. I think the stock shaft is little high. When you use a shorter shaft than stock this gives less distance between shifts.

But if you want to retain stock height and use mgw I think you can get a shaft extension.

If you dont like the round knob try that first strike I believe you will like it.

I am going to try and find one of my pics of the first strike knob on stock shifter. Dont know if I still have it.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will using one of the MGW knobs on the stock shifter lower the overall height? I'd like to retain the stock height but just change the knob.

Thanks

Yes, I just did the same thing. I got the MGW 3d Fangs knob. I love it. Looks and feels better and is about 2" lower. You can definately tell a difference. Like Hiss said, I think they have an extension to retain stock height, but if your going to change it,might as well shorten it a little. It took 5 minutes to change out.Real easy.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could not find pic.

These measurments are going on memory so could be off some-the distance of travel from first to second gear in inches-measuring from top of ball.

Stock shifter and knob--5 to 5 1/2"
Stock shifter with mgw first strike--3 to 3 1/2"
Mopar hurst shifter with mgw - 2"

The least amount of travel was using the small black hurst knob the distance was under 2". But for me it was a little to small and harder to shift. But some like it this way.

The hurst shifter is better than stock even with the mgw knob on stock shifter. Now it kind of "snicks" into the gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960