Shifter Rattle

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed during WOT runs from dead stop, my shifter seems to rattle or move violently side to side. Almost feels like it's getting ready to pop out of gear. I take it this could be due to some wheel hop... Also while crusing in high gear, there is quite a bit of up and down movement in the shifter. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your baby wasnt so new i would sugest looking at motor mounts and tranmission mounts.

Have you been doing excess dougnuts and or popping the clutch excessivly? if so, this could cause premature wear.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man. dont worry about it until the car quits running. These things are built like trucks. (even with some of their parts)

noisy shifter/gap in hood . . . it wasnt built by the germans ya know :)

Godsize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can never overlook the simple redundant stuff. I don't know if you installed your shifter yourself or paid someone. If you did the install yourself, did you use Loctite on the shifter bolts? I've seen em back out with all the vibration, torque and basic hammering a shifter takes. It might be worthwhile to pull the console and check IMHO! Rock On! :headbang:

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SapphireGTS - you crack me up! Ok, I will just drive the hell out of it until it breaks. Thank god for extended warranty.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shifter isn't bolted to the side of the trans. The shifter stick comes right out of the cast aluminum housing.

So, if the shifter is bouncing around, that means the transmission is bouncing around.

And if the transmission is bouncing around, guess what the engine is doing... It's bolted to the transmission.

Mine doesn't do that. Yours shouldn't do it either. You need to have someone look at it very closely. They need to try to force the motor/trans mounts apart to see if they are sound.

You probably have a broken motor mount or transmission mount. These mounts can also come loose without breaking.

OP
OP
S

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$hit, I guess another thing I should put on my fix list when I get back home... :(

So, there should be no movement at all while accelerating heavily???!!!