Shipping a 1996 GTS Open Carrier - Do's and Don'ts?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I know - Don't!

But....

I'm finding some rates from NV to PA that are under $900 which is good.

The main issue is that they say they need 4" of ground clearance for open carrier.

I'm thinking I can simply raise the suspension to do this.

Any other things I should worry about?

PS. The car is in the process of getting body work down so a scratch here or there won't matter. A stone chip on the windshield would not be good though.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never had a Viper transported on anything open other than a simple flatbed. I haven't looked closely at one of those typical hydraulically operated multi-level open carriers. What you might consider is taking off the sidesills and wrapping them and putting them in the car. I'm don't know how they could mess those up; but, they would be a hassle to fix or replace, and are easily dented. Not sure if they would fit in the car leaving room for a driver to drive it on and off the trailer. Just a thought for discussion.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got another spec from the haulers: 48" min space between the rear tires. I have a tire off but it looks like with 335/30r18's it is about 50"

I have the Hennessey front fascia which really sticks out and is fiberglass - so it will not move out of the way.

The OE spec for ground clearance is 5.0" which clearly does not apply to the air dam which I think is about 3.5 or 3.75" ground clearance.

I have to check but I think mine has modded front springs/shocks with adjustable threaded ride height rings. The rear suspension is simple springs but I don't think the 4" is a problem there.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you shipping from Pa to Nv are you selling or buying !

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom and Vipers i live about 25 miles from you in connellsville i have a 1996 viper gts like to meet up with you and your Viper and BS !!!

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool Viper K!

I'm neither buying or selling. I bot the NV Viper back in 2001 but live in PA. I have a good friend I have left the car with in NV. Unfortunately, the car needs work and it really doesn't get taken care of the best when sitting in NV.

I thought about selling it in NV, but it needs so much stuff done to it including paint, that I would get a terrible price for it. It is 511 rwhp on engine and 685 on bottle so it is fun to drive.

For now I've decided to ship it back to NV. I thought about driving it, but I could never do that with a hood that is not properly painted - part of driving the car is looking out over that hood!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes, the steepness of the ramps on most two-level carriers is such that I don't think the fascia will clear (I have the John H fascia on mine and its a real PITA to get it in my enclosed trailer.....lots of wood block work to get it on as I winch it up. If you decide to go that route, make sure you're there when they try to onboard the thing; if the driver is one of those "they told me to pick this up and I did my best...sorry about the fascia" types, you can stop the process if its gonna damage the car. If you're in the same city as the car, perhaps a test-loading would give you confidence that it can be done.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I shipped mine open carrier from TX to AZ. No problems. No damage. It cleared the ramps without a scrape. **JUST BE VERY CAREFUL of WHICH CARRIER YOU USE** Took me hours of reviewing reviews online until I found a highly appraised carrier. I paid $500.00.

Remember: They ship the new ZR1's to the dealers via Open carrier. They clear.. Vipers can clear wo/damage to. Not sure about how they ship the new Vipers. Never seen a truck with them on it.

Last edited:

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just pay a little more and hire a personal closed carrier or group with another set of cars

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper k,

The car is Wayne Skiles' car he ran at the Silver State. He had a ton of work done to it.

I fixed the carbon fiber hood fit and had the suspension/brakes completely rebuilt. Also new Center Force unobtanium clutch & aluminum flywheel.

I'm currently painting the hood and fascia.

The nitrous bottle mount needs completely redone - its out of the car right now.

Technically the car is for sale, however I have no idea how to value a modded Viper.

It has 511 whp on engine and 685 on a 150 shot.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to suggest you move to the Viper in Nevada. Having lived near you in Irwin/Harrison City for 8 years, it would be a good change (for the sunshine alone).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456