Short shift knob installation ?

czu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I bought a new shift knob and was wondering if it requires professional installation or if this can be a DIY project. I havent received it yet so I'm not sure what tools are required. Any advice will be much appreciated.

F

FrgMstr

Quite simple, just need the right size wrench. Push the boot down, release the locknut, screw the old off, the new on, set the lock nut. Replace boot. Done.

pdub

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just doing the knob is a piece of cake, 3 minute job. Doing the whole shifter is a little more difficult.

OP
OP
C

czu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I want to shorten the shifter, personal preference only.. Does it require a full replacement?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, but a lot of guys here like the MGW shift mechanism over the stocker. A search will bring up reviews of that product (around $350). I combined the MGW shift linkage with a 2010 Dodge Viper ACR short shifter (which has the same type of stock shifter knob with the shaft length reduced in half). Short shift type knobs would replace the original knob and it's non-removable steel shaft, and therefore can be designed to a shorter overall height. Pic of the ACR short shift knob assembly:
You must be registered for see images attach

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the length of mine now. I replaced my stock knob with the MGW gripper short knob. Eventually I'm hoping to do the whole shifter, but for now the shorter knob makes the car much more liveable.

SRT09

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a big difference with the MGW in the Gen 4's? Also whats the part number on the ACR knob?

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I want to shorten the shifter, personal preference only.. Does it require a full replacement?

IMO replacing the knob is nice, but does not shorten the throw. Replacing the knob is easy like others have stated. Remove the ring with allen screws then break the lock nut loose on the knob.

To replace the shifter itself (with a MGW) you have to go from underneath and drop the trans a bit.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gang at Woodhouse could tell you more about the Gen 4 and whether it benefits from the MGW shifter. I'm using it on a Gen 3. I'm thinking if you are happy with the spring-loading, centering, and overall feel of the stock shifter (and don't miss shifts with it), then there is little reason to change.

Factory Short Shift Knob part numbers:
1SZ091R1AA w/red stitching
1SZ091X9AA w/black stitching

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte