Should Dodge Fix This?

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke my 2004 SRT-10 Viper with only 16,500 miles. It needs a new transmission, a new rear-end and a new steering rack, coming to a total of nearly $8,000.00. My problem is that the Dodge dealership voided my warranty and put in their database that I was racing (but I wasn't) and now I can't get my car fixed without paying the $8,000.00. My question is... since the Dodge Viper is advertised as a "street legal race car" shouldn't they be obligated to stand behind their product? Whether I was racing or not, they advertise that the Viper has 500+ HP and 535 ft lps of torque, but if you can't use it without it breaking, what's the point? Should I raise all kinds of Hell with Dodge Corp. about them fixing it under warranty? What would ya'll do? Please help me!

Randy C

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that the burden of proof of whether you were racing or not lies with Dodge. In any event, if the car was stock and you were racing it seems as if Dodge should stand behind the Viper...these cars are meant to be driven hard. Just my opinion.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That begs the question: How would the dealership know if you were racing/tracking the car? If you car has been outfitted with performance mods, your warranty can be voided.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical of Dodge to do this. I would fight it out with Dodge as I agree that the burden of proof that you were racing is on them. Plus now your factory warranty is voided for any other issues.

Does your car have Nitrous or any other forced induction mods?

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke my transmission a couple of weeks ago on the track.. I had the car trailered directly to the dealer from the track and got it fixed no questions asked. In fact I bring the car to them just about every time before I go to the track to get it looked over. They are very aware I track the car, I talk about it all the time with the service manager.

JacksViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
randyc-
I doubt if the dealership acted on their own. Find out who made the decision to void the warranty. I had a problem with my local Dodge dealer when my truck needed upper and lower ball joints with under 50K miles. I went directly through Daimler-Chrysler and was able to get them to cover all but a $500 dollar deductable.
The dealership will provide you with the 800 number, if I still had it I would gladly pass it on to you. Don't give in to them, (Daimler-Chrysler) they will haggle with you but stand your ground. And never, never admit to tracking or drag racing the car. As far as they're concerned, you were out for a Sunday drive in the country obeying all speed limits.
Each dealership is different. Some will cover you in every way they can to keep your business for now and in the future regardless of any add-ons or driving habits. And some, will try all they can to make money for the dealers. Sounds like you have the later of the two. Get that 800 number for, Daimler-Chrysler and make some noise, at 83+ thousand dollars, they can back the car.
Good-luck

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you break the steering rack, tranny and rear end all at the same time?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke my transmission a couple of weeks ago on the track.. I had the car trailered directly to the dealer from the track and got it fixed no questions asked. In fact I bring the car to them just about every time before I go to the track to get it looked over. They are very aware I track the car, I talk about it all the time with the service manager.

A HUGE no-no :nono: :nono: :nono: ---now your dealership has it noted that you track the car, and you'd be hard-pressed to have warranty work done on it...this should be kept on the DL (down-low), then they have to PROVE you raced your vehicle. Now you handed it to them on a silver platter.

As far as RandyC--YESSSSS---raise hell with DAIMLER-CHRYSLER directly if you can, as JacksViper stated...I don't know the number offhand either. We would be raising heck to have the car's warranty covered (whether we raced or not, which we don't). Good luck to you, Randy--you should win out in the end...hold your ground, TELL them they need to fix this problem, don't ask. ~juli~

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical of Dodge to do this. I would fight it out with Dodge as I agree that the burden of proof that you were racing is on them. Plus now your factory warranty is voided for any other issues.

Does your car have Nitrous or any other forced induction mods?

My car is completely stock with factory mounted tires.

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That begs the question: How would the dealership know if you were racing/tracking the car? If you car has been outfitted with performance mods, your warranty can be voided.

I heard from a little birdie at another dealership that some guy told some other guy that worked at Landers Dodge (were I took my car) that I was racing. Still that's not proof enough to restrict my warranty.

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
randyc-
I doubt if the dealership acted on their own. Find out who made the decision to void the warranty. I had a problem with my local Dodge dealer when my truck needed upper and lower ball joints with under 50K miles. I went directly through Daimler-Chrysler and was able to get them to cover all but a $500 dollar deductable.
The dealership will provide you with the 800 number, if I still had it I would gladly pass it on to you. Don't give in to them, (Daimler-Chrysler) they will haggle with you but stand your ground. And never, never admit to tracking or drag racing the car. As far as they're concerned, you were out for a Sunday drive in the country obeying all speed limits.
Each dealership is different. Some will cover you in every way they can to keep your business for now and in the future regardless of any add-ons or driving habits. And some, will try all they can to make money for the dealers. Sounds like you have the later of the two. Get that 800 number for, Daimler-Chrysler and make some noise, at 83+ thousand dollars, they can back the car.
Good-luck

According to DC Landers Dodge put the restriction on my warranty and according to DC the only way to lift the restriction is for Landers Dodge to do it. As for the 800 number, it's a joke. Unless you had a different one than the one I was able to find which is 1-800-992-1997 they are idiots. They couldn't give me any information or let me talk to someone with authority. Hell, one girl I spoke to even asked me if I had an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!!:bonker:

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you break the steering rack, tranny and rear end all at the same time?

My rearend locked up which in turn caused my transmission to break. As for the steering rack I thought it was fine but it was those bozos :+: that screwed me over that said it was broken. Apparently the boots are filled with fluid.

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A HUGE no-no :nono: :nono: :nono: ---now your dealership has it noted that you track the car, and you'd be hard-pressed to have warranty work done on it...this should be kept on the DL (down-low), then they have to PROVE you raced your vehicle. Now you handed it to them on a silver platter.

As far as RandyC--YESSSSS---raise hell with DAIMLER-CHRYSLER directly if you can, as JacksViper stated...I don't know the number offhand either. We would be raising heck to have the car's warranty covered (whether we raced or not, which we don't). Good luck to you, Randy--you should win out in the end...hold your ground, TELL them they need to fix this problem, don't ask. ~juli~

I have raised hell with anyone that I've been able to get through to and they are all saying it's up to the dealership to lift the restriction. I am so PO'ed at Dodge that I am actually considering buying another vette (sorry... I know those words are not allowed :nono: ) but I was never questioned when I broke my '02 Z06, which was alot!

OP
OP
R

randyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the concern and advice from everyone. If anyone can tell me of something to do that I haven't already tried, by all means let me know. Also today I left a message for the President of Landers Dodge so we'll see where that goes and I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks

RandyC

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have raised hell with anyone that I've been able to get through to and they are all saying it's up to the dealership to lift the restriction. I am so PO'ed at Dodge that I am actually considering buying another vette (sorry... I know those words are not allowed :nono: ) but I was never questioned when I broke my '02 Z06, which was alot!

Sounds like you break a lot of stuff. I had an 01, 02 and and 03 z06 and never broke anything. I guess trhere are 2 sides to every story.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would ask the dealership to show you in writing where it states, "...if a Viper is raced and/or track driven the warranty will be null and void". If they can produce such a document, I suspect that you did not sign this document.

In addition, what do they (the dealership) care how your Viper broke. The dealership will be reimbursed by Dodge for all the repairs and parts.

I suspect the dealer is trying to 'pull the wool over your eyes'.

You might want to get legal advice if the dealership is going to continue to 'blow fire up your @#$$'.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the concern and advice from everyone. If anyone can tell me of something to do that I haven't already tried, by all means let me know. Also today I left a message for the President of Landers Dodge so we'll see where that goes and I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks
RandyC

You are SO deserving of getting help that I think I'd now pursue legal action....if you don't hear from the president of the Dodge dealer ASAP. I'd probably also send a letter to that dealer AND a copy to your *new* lawyer stating EXACTLY what you need repaired/replaced---and NO mention of racing/tracking the car....they may respond better if they know legal action is being considered. (Even if you DON'T contact a lawyer, but send a certified/return receipt letter to the dealers' owner, saying that you are in the 'process of retaining a lawyer' may get results...don't know...just saying what I would do).
Good luck with all of this. ~juli~

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried going to a different dealership? Many of which may not be up to date on the void issue and repair your Viper as if you never were at the other place. Try out of state if needed. Just a suggestion.

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like I said, my dealer knows I track the car, they help prep the car before track days and have no issues with warranty work. I just towed my car from the track with a broken tranny and had it back as good as new within a week. nice to have the 7/7 drivetrain warranty.

This is definately a dealer issue, find one you can build a relationship with.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know about Dodge. The tranny in my car is virtually useless cant shift the dam thing. It has been like that since new and now I have to jump through hoops just to get it replaced. Mind you my car only has 2600 miles. I have not raced not even once. My 911 turbo is rock solid and the dealer fixes anyhing that is wrong and it is modded. My Ford GT is the same if it breaks Ford fixs. I dont know about Vipers anymore I might just get rid of it and buy a lambo. This is my fourth Viper and Dodge could care less.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL No, people deal directly with dealerships. There is no direct dealing with the company.

When Bohunk Dodge of Crapboot in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma starts actually making the cars, then it is not a Dodge issue. Oh, by the way, Dodge issues the warranty as it is a Manufacturers warranty. Dealers have a contractual duty to Dodge. If they don't take care of their relationship (and the warranty is breached), it falls on Dodge. You take Dodge to court. Check out the papers if you don't believe me. It does not say Bohunk. I am quite sure of that.

That is why Dodge has regional representatives to limit their liability from idiotic dealerships. Not blaming Dodge here as I have not said who is at fault. Just how the system works.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ultimately it is a Dodge issue. Directly it is not. The dealer should fix the problem. If the dealer does not fix the problem Dodge should find a way of resolving the issue, either by fixing it themselves, recommending another dealer or other means. Either way, the dealer is at fault and will, or should rather lose business and/or dealership status because of it.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off racing your viper has been a no no from day one and will void your warranty. Using non DC parts will also void your warranty. See the link below for more info. I believe you will find in your warranty book that racing will void the warranty.

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=600295&highlight=warranty

I would contact Chuck Tator and see if he can help you.

Robbie

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well in this example everyone knew that the car was being raced at the strip and Dodge still had to pay.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=412192

When a car is advertised as a performance car then it should be handled as such. In fact, as others have stated, Dodge is a supporter of Viper Days and other Viper Driving events. It seems kind of hard to believe that they don't intend for you to drive and race your car at the track and then turn around and sponsor these events. Shoot, they even sell the modifications for your car.

I agree with Chuck in that this is a dealership problem but overall it is a Dodge problem as well. Unfortunately some dealerships don't realize that they do more than just sell cars. If they want a real lesson in how to operate they should talk to the Wizard, Chuck Tator.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a good article. DC should step up to the plate and pay a claim like the one above that had had multiple rear gear failures under the states lemon law. And from what I read the owner drag raced it 1 time.

Quote: "When the Viper was running like it was designed to, Mortle reached 122 mph in a quarter mile on a drag strip, he said."

But to expect them to pay up on a car that was raced hard over and over again that has complete drivtrain problems is not right and this is why it is covered in the warranty book. It is well known that racing any factory car will void the warranty. DC would be out of business if it warrantied every viper that broke down from racing. That is why DC makes the Competition Coupe. It is meant to be raced. Besides the viper is a road racing car and not a drag car. It has independent rear suspension unlike the majority of drag racing cars.
I still believe that Chuck Tator is the only one who can solve this problem and he should be called.

Robbie