Should I install a short shifter while the transmission is out?

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm have to replace the slave cylinder so I'm changing out the clutch and flywheel withExedy and Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel. Should I also change the shifter if I do how much additional effort is it? Car is mostly stock with 33k miles.

Last edited:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To change the shifter is about 20 minutes, if you're slow.
Its very quick, inexpensive and easy to do. I love it and would recommend the change.

Adam2003

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 03 with 8300 miles. Is it possible to do the short shifter with trans in the car? If so, got any suggestion where to get one?

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definitely a lot easier to do now and the stock shifter isn't that high of quality unit, I certainly like the upgrade. you can also throw a shim (large washer) @1/16 behind the detent bolt while it's out to smooth your shifting a bit.

OP
OP
A

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a lot easier to do now and the stock shifter isn't that high of quality unit, I certainly like the upgrade. you can also throw a shim (large washer) @1/16 behind the detent bolt while it's out to smooth your shifting a bit.

Could you explain better where you are talking about? Because my brain is small, pictures would be best.;)

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

If you look on the right side under your vent tube in front of your shifter, you will see a large (7/8, 15/16 if I recall) bolt. You can pull that out with no worries, no fluid or springs to worry about, it's all self contained. If you shim that out @ 1/16 it will take a little pressure of the bearing and allow a smoother shift.

Last edited:

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to hijack even further but do people put kits on Gen 1's? If so how much does it shorten it up and does the tranny need to come out to do it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960