Should i pull the trigger on this car? PICS INSIDE

SCOTTB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take your time is all i can say every market is down right now and if you look a little harder the right viper will show up..

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everyone keeps telling me to hold out but im having trouble getting the most for my dollar in the gen 2 era. The weather is finally nice in NY and im stuck in a company f150 lol

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You know once you buy a Viper you'll have to buy a Ram Truck also:D There's no good deals on the east coast???? Call Ringgold Dodge, in Georgia, they usually have good selection and good pricing

:dunno:

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everyone keeps telling me to hold out but im having trouble getting the most for my dollar in the gen 2 era. The weather is finally nice in NY and im stuck in a company f150 lol
You asked for our thoughts, and we gave them to you. You landed into a deep pool of information. Use it wisely little grasshopper.:D

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the car looks rough and although I have driven tens of thousands of miles on the vipers that I have owned, they do not look like that. My 2003 had 63000 miles on it and looked better than that car.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the market too and I also feel your pain about "holding out" but I would pass on that car. I really think there is truth to the fact that if the exterior is like that, what is going on inside? I have never had a sports car that looked like that (as your z06 definitely didn't either). I think the prices are too high too.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd hold out too. I am 28, bought my first Viper when I was the same age as you. I would wait and try to find one that has been modded, prices are way low now.

Most vipers fall into one of two categories: Either "garage queen", bone stock with low miles and no serious cosmetic issues, or modded with minor issues. That car has the worst of both worlds in my opinion. Stock with cosmetic flaws. Ick.

Just my 2c

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna go against the grain here. Have it checked out by a good Viper tech. If it checks out, and everything else is what you want, HT vert, color, year and so on, buy it. That also depends on some other things. Are you the type that is willing to put some work into it over time that will bring it back to the way it should be? Will a few minor flaws make you regret the decision and have you trying to unload it in a couple months?

I like a good diamond in the rough. My car DESPERATELY needed new tires when I bought it, the paint was good but had a few swirl marks that needed some good buffing, and just generally needed a good cleanup. I felt like it was a good deal and was willing to put some time, effort, and money into it and now it looks great and I couldn't be happier with my decision. All those things were factored into the negotiations and the price was right.

Like someone else here said, consider the price of the new tires too. The day after I got mine home (after driving 1200 miles on 11 year old tires) it was in the shop getting new rubber ($1600). Within a week all the fluids were changed and I was pretty much done cleaning and buffing.

Good luck whatever you decide.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you run the VIN through a Dodge dealer like Chuck Tator, he can tell you the service history.
IMO, those not so little scratches and imperfections that don't bother you now in your excitement to get in a Viper MAY bother you later, those deep scratches don't just "touch" up, at least to a level most anal Viper owners would be happy with.
In my exuberance to get in a Viper that I fell in love with, I overlooked some things that later came back to bite me (like the way the car would just occasionally slip out of third gear, tranny rebuild eventually over 2K to fix). Or the little oil leak (Leaking timing chain cover, costly to have fixed). I'm just saying don't let your emotions overrule your common sense, there are lots of Vipers out there. I frankly can't believe you can't find an acceptable car close to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's what I was going to say. Most any body shop can fix those pretty easliy, won't even know they were there. For $34K, that is a steal. So, by the time you get the car transported and fixed, you might be into it for $37,000. That is a damn good deal for an 01. :2tu:

Of course, mine has less miles and much fewer scratches :D
:2tu:My opinion as well. You have to stop somewhere. You definetly do not want look back and say..."I should have..." IMO :dunno: I have the same car w/black int. and it has 50k on the ODO and I would not sell it for near that price. But, my car just had a professional repaint and overall condition is IMO a strong "8" - "9".

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whatever you decide.... I had a thought. A one way plane ticket, plus fuel, and a couple nights hotel would probably be equal to or less than the transport costs. Not to mention the experience you would have. Buy it and drive it home!:drive: Putting mileage on the car is not an issue.

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish i could but i can escape from work for that long. 1 day is hard enough let alone 7 to 10. Im sure its an amazing experience but i would loose my job and in turn not be able to pay for the car, lol.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Chopper on this one. The "shiny side" of the car has been abused to a degree, then the "bottom side" of the car has taken similar abuse. What does the interior look like? How clean is the engine compartment? Those things will tell you a LOT about the owner. One who really takes car of a car will take the time to keep it clean and presentable. Would you have had someone look at your car in this shape when trying to sell it? I wouldn't.......that's really embarrassing! I too would pass!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old are the tires? Have your ViperTech check the date codes on them.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the mechanicals are in excellant shape I think that's a great price and I'd say go for it if you like the non black interior....not my cup of tea. I'd love to have a vert to go with my coupe but my 4 car garage is full and I think my ceilings are too low for a lift. :(

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a drama this has become. We're looking at buying an inexpensive used car here. It's a decision that most people make in a snap. This is not a full structural inspection of a potential home, or investigating the physical attributes and ****** history of a potential bride, it's a friggin used car!! Buy it or don't!

OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bernie, it may be inexpensive to you but to most people thirty some odd thousand dollars is a lot of money. Im trying to avoid making a bad decision.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a buyers market I think you should shop around,that car has at best been treated like an everyday driver, at worst rode hard and put up wet!I would be surprised if it has no mechanical issues.I would take a higher mileage car that has been cared for over that car in a minute.But whatever you do good luck!!!!!!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOU: I absolutely love the sapphire and cognac. cognac is the best!!!!! i love blue cars

Check (I too agree; it is an awesome elegant combo)

YOU: Looking to buy gen 2 rt/10 or GTS in the 30 to 35k range.

Check

YOU: I am definitely looking for a driver

Check

If the inspection checks then this should be a done deal unless you find something comparable local for the same price that doesn’t require shipping.

Sure those pictures make the car look borderline to people sitting behind their computers, they have vipers sitting in front of their eyes. The harsh lighting and pollen make the pictures look like crap. Big deal. Get her in your garage; polish and wax away, change all the fluids, put some love into it, Hit the streets and people will think it’s a brand new car.

To those that think there is better than a sapphire for 34K then I say, show him. How much would a dealership list this car for after cleaning it up? I think over 40.

as usual trans, best of luck

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will you be getting a loan for this car? have you checked insurance rates yet, I think I read you are 24? one year from the drop.

Is this purchase going to stretch you thin?

Could any of these things play into why you are hesitant to make the purchase?

Bernard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bernie, it may be inexpensive to you but to most people thirty some odd thousand dollars is a lot of money. Im trying to avoid making a bad decision.

Sorry to dampen your fun, I didn't mean to. I have enjoyed my Viper since December 1999 and have loved every minute of it. Every hobby for me is a 5-7 year thing, so now it's for sale and I have a Suzuki Hayabusa. Top speed 195, 0-60 in around 3 seconds and 38 miles to the gallon. You can slap on a turbo for $5K and leave every car imaginable in an exhaust trail. :headbang: Sorry, I'm salivating again. Ayway be grateful you didn't buy this car.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Itll buff out.jpg
    Itll buff out.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

transamer79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its cool bernard, im just being careful.

Hey pryme, i am taking out a loan for about 60%. i got an excellent interest rate of 4.25% AS for the insurance, i got a quote through travelers full coverage for 200 a month, not bad for 24 with a viper.

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Chopper "wholeheartedly". Dude this car was NOT handled with care. :nono: You sound like the kind of guy that would not let his car look like this. Buffing and patchwork fixes for sublety will NOT cut it. When you get a Viper you're going to want it to look PERFECT as can be. By the time you get through fixing the astetics and pay for shipping, you're probably going to be spending upwards of $38-40k anyway to get it looking right!

My advice is to be patient and spend a little extra for a car that has been cared for. If an owner treats his ride like that on the outside, I shudder to think what lurks beneath.

My .02 cents. GOOD LUCK!! :2tu:

I understand you situation. My thinking is however, if a car looks like this one does on the outside then what lies beneath.Most of us take sick care of our cars. Scratches like the ones you've shown would make me puke.This car does not tell me that it was pampered.You might want to look a little further, or save up for what you really want.

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its cool bernard, im just being careful.

Hey pryme, i am taking out a loan for about 60%. i got an excellent interest rate of 4.25% AS for the insurance, i got a quote through travelers full coverage for 200 a month, not bad for 24 with a viper.

But do you have, at all times, AT LEAST 3-4 mo worth of all your bills in the bank?

I assume you live alone right, not at home or with roomates?

Pryme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to dampen your fun, I didn't mean to. I have enjoyed my Viper since December 1999 and have loved every minute of it. Every hobby for me is a 5-7 year thing, so now it's for sale and I have a Suzuki Hayabusa. Top speed 195, 0-60 in around 3 seconds and 38 miles to the gallon. You can slap on a turbo for $5K and leave every car imaginable in an exhaust trail. :headbang: Sorry, I'm salivating again. Ayway be grateful you didn't buy this car.

attachment.php

Sounds great untill even a Geo metro side swipes you.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone remember FranciscoR? Remember all the posts about wanting to buy a Viper. This thread is a ditto. What does a buyer expect to get for $30-35K for a Gen2? Not a trophy car, perhaps a car that has seen the track, has been driven hard or has a few stories.