Should unavailable parts discourage me from buying a Viper?

Mynewluv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the "sticky" about part shortages and became a little discouraged at all the stuff that is hard to find. I'm pretty sure a GTS is what I want but I do have a thing for the early RT/10s. I want to go look at a GTS in Fife, Washington and want to be able to take a good look at all the misc. parts that are no longer available.
Is the shortages of parts really that bad or can I still look forward to getting my hands on a these earlier Vipers?
Back to work!

Thanks guys:usa:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Depending on the parts I bet you can probably come up with a lot of the stuff through the several Viper specific salvage yards. So while it might not necessarily be readily available as a new piece you can usually come up with something if you're patient. I've called around a few times when I was looking for parts just because I didn't want to pay full price for a new piece. If you really take your time a lot of the stuff on the early cars also cross references to many other Chrysler vehicles, so that might broaden the search depending on what might go wrong.

Reaction score
Parts are always available, it just depends on what you are willing to spend and if used is acceptable. Likewise with aftermarket, as some suppliers have filled the void left by discontinued Mopar parts - such as lower radiator hoses and radiators for the Gen 2. And of course Mopar still offers a TON of parts, especially service parts like oil filters, lamps, etc. Check with your local Chrysler dealer if you are concerned about any in particular.

mgeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 GTS and have done a fair amount of preventative maitenance over the past 3 years...never an issue getting parts. Then again I'm only an hour away from Chuck Tator...but I have ordered from VPA/ etc. Haven't had any issues around availability. As moparmap said, the part being searched for (and new vs. used) would have an impact.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're worried about finding parts I would suggest buying a nicer Viper to begin with. Either way I wouldn't worry about it finding parts. Just buy one and enjoy it.

OP
OP
M

Mynewluv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can buy a "nice" Viper or Z06 or S60R like I have but there always seems to be something or multiple things that need to be fixed. Assuming that would happen with a 97' ANYTHING I wouldn't want to have a hard time finding parts. Especially if its new to me and I just wanna drive it. Obviously I'm not gonna go buy some garbage Viper that needs crap off the bat.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't had to fix very many things with my 97 (nothing major). And when I have needed to do so, I have had NO problems getting parts. ;)

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only parts that I've had to replace on my 2001 viper is the water pump, heater valve and the drive shaft front seal. All replacement parts were readily available and not expensive.

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is 95 rt10 with 12800 miles at dealer in Delaware, Ohio. Pm me if you want link to dealer.

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw it there a month or so ago. Looked nice but I am a Gen 3 guy. Caught my eye because I was there for service on an aviator.

Moderator edit: Link to non site supporting dealer removed

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper -v- Corvette should never be compared.

EVERY Viper is fast. Only a handful of Corvettes with mega options are as fast.

Basically Viper is a $100k car and Corvette is a $50k car.

And the loaded Corvettes look about the same as the striped down ones.

In other words, no comparison.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There isn't a Viper part I can think of that you can't buy. With the amount of totaled Vipers and the aftermarket of the Viper all the parts are out there just an internet search away.

Jaxlt1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 1997 GTS a couple of months ago after extensive research. The car has 13,200 miles on it. It's near perfect. I also own a 1968 427 Corvette. The Viper is more fun to drive and attracts much more attention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery