Side Sill Insulation Question

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just removed my side sills to install a new exhaust system. I have not had any problems with paint bubbling or anything. But the aluminum insulation has an area where it is burnt through (about a 4" section) and the white fibers that are inside the foil are showing. Can one buy any special heat tape to tape over this and make it last longer or protect it more to keep it from getting to my side sill paint?? Have pictures but having problems trying to upload the pictures to the site.

Thanks
A1998

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just removed my side sills to install a new exhaust system. I have not had any problems with paint bubbling or anything. But the aluminum insulation has an area where it is burnt through (about a 4" section) and the white fibers that are inside the foil are showing. Can one buy any special heat tape to tape over this and make it last longer or protect it more to keep it from getting to my side sill paint??

Short answer,Yes. Long answer, call PartsRack thanks

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot has been posted on this. Try a search...or you can find my post on this by doing a search on " heatproofed" If the fiber insulation is wet from car washing, dry it out first before repair.
If your new exhaust has hi-flow cats or cat delete, your're gonna notice a big improvement.
My efforts were focused on trying to eliminate contact of the alum shield with the very hot front part on the side exhaust..resulting in burn-thru.
Many have posted satisfaction with the Roe insulation...you should look into that.

D

DAMN YANKEE

A1998

My two cents...you've opened up your sills to put in a cat-back system and you don't like what you've seen. Repair the stock insulation, if you want, but...
even if you stay with stock header, stock cats and a good 3" cat-back system, you will want to address the sill heat issue past the repair.

I use the Roe Sill heat blankets. Here are the tips for installing this system, collected by me after receiving the insulation set and realizing there are no instructions. A quick call answered every question, but I'll save you the call:

1. You do not remove any of the original insulation that came with your car.
2. The blankets are placed along the whole length of the side sills, seam down. They will fit from "bend-to-bend." The insulation to original insulation fit may be tight, thats fine.
3. Apply the steel cable locks firmly, but not so much as to cut into the insulation.
4. It has been recommended to me not to alter your sill fronts, using sill "vents" as they let in a good deal of water and road dirt. Some do use these successfully, but try the insulation system without them first.
5. You do no need any additional drainage.

Good luck.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can vouch for the Roe sill insulation - dropped the cockpit heat quite a bit albeit I removed one pair of cats at the same time. However, you can still burn your legs on the sills - I was wearing shorts the other day and was leaning in to secure the top...ouch! My lower legs are pretty scarred up though since I ride my Fat Boy in shorts as well so no big deal.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are doing HIGH FLO cats, you will DRAMATICALLY reduce Cabin heat AND side sill heat. I can vouch because i had the same problem before...

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can vouch for the Roe sill insulation - dropped the cockpit heat quite a bit albeit I removed one pair of cats at the same time. However, you can still burn your legs on the sills - I was wearing shorts the other day and was leaning in to secure the top...ouch! My lower legs are pretty scarred up though since I ride my Fat Boy in shorts as well so no big deal.

agreed, beteween that and HF cats, its alot better

G

grcforce327

I used header wrap on the Roe H/F cats and mufflers,followed by the Roe insulation,followed by the stock insulation! :D :2tu: :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang