silly question - supercharger

phantred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to be a big deal that the new viper is going to have 600hp. How come dodge doesn't add a supercharger at the factory? Does a sc reduce the reliability of the car?

I'm ignorant in this area, and a long winded explanation would be appreciated.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Naturally aspirated sports cars have different throttle response than supercharged cars. Supercharged cars from the factory usually run lower compression ratios and are more sluggish down low, while building progressivly more horsepower as the blower builds boost.

The Supercharger adds complexity, weight, noise, expense, more frequent service intervals, heat, and durability issues that are not applicable to naturally aspirated engines.

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: silly question - supercharger *DELETED*

Post deleted by grnsnake

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The blower guys will disagree but Paul is correct. More components means more maintenance and more engineering. Dodge gave us big cubes instead. The blower guys like big cubes, the non-blower guys like big cubes. It's win-win for everybody.

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I apologize to anyone who read my previous post before I deleted it - this forum is open to all ideas.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a blower, a N/A, and a TT person. a low-boost SC set-up is low maintenance (in fact, several cars from the factory come this way). but the high-boost stuff keeps you busy. Now that there are some good N/A upgrade options out there, i'd think about that pretty seriously if i was doing an upgrade.

but the ROE 5lb kit is almost like a factory set-up... one never hears of issues with that set-up EXCEPT when people want _more_ power.

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang