snapped a connecting rod..

DXBLouie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

we have a 2006 SRT10 with a paxton supercharger that just threw a rod last night :(

the car had some issues earlier this month with the 2nd cylinder when the piston made contact with the sparkplug (nothing dramatic, but enough to bend the electrode and short it)

we changed the plug to a lesser reach one, but knew a rebuild was eminent.

We thought it's probably a swollen piston due to fuel starvation at some point, a bearing failure, or just a defect in the connecting rod.

cut a long story short. last night the connecting rod of the same cylinder broke off and ripped a hole through the oil galley..

we took the oil pan out to see how bad things are.

so far it looks like we need a new short block.
i've looked around eBay for viper blocks, bearings, connecting rods, etc..
but mostly found complete engine/transmission packages.

any leads, or comments would be appreciated.

after all, i'm on the other side of the planet (Dubai), so i need to locate the parts first then ship them over :)

Thanks in advance!

p.s: will post pictures of the carnage soon..

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow man ***** that your first post has to be some bad news. I would talk with JonB, Chuck Tator or some of the other sponsors on this site. JonB has pretty much any part for a viper, he could build one from scratch with all of the parts he has. Hopefully you will get it up and running shortly. Your best bet would be building or getting a built block since you are running boost to make sure this doesnt happen again.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get a list together of what you need and post it here. I am sure whatever you need is out there. You have come to the right place.

OP
OP
D

DXBLouie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks bro..

yeah sorry this had to be my first post.. i've been following these forums for a while but never had a chance to post anything worthwhile :)

will keep you posted.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So why do you think the piston made contact with the spark plug during the first incident and any thoughts on why you think you experienced a fuel starvation situation?

Reaction score
So why do you think the piston made contact with the spark plug during the first incident and any thoughts on why you think you experienced a fuel starvation situation?

There is a good chance that the piston did not contact it. the top ring land probably broke a chunk out and that smashed the electrode indicating it was time to shut it down. This would have surely saved a $10,000 problem in the first place, lesson learned...:(

OP
OP
D

DXBLouie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
we knew the piston made contact with the spark plug cuz the plug was bent and it happened again till we replaced it with a shorter reach plug.

my theory is the following:
the engine knocked which cracked the connecting rod on the #2 cylinder
the piston eventually slammed the spark plug, and maybe the head, cuz whenever we pulled that plug it was either bent, or fouled up in oil.. so basically that cylinder wasn't firing properly since.

yesterday i rerouted the oil separator to clear up the crank case oil build up and the car seemed to run ALOT better.
let the car cool down, pulled the plugs and there was no more oil on them.. so Cylinder #2 was again firing properly, which put strain on the already weak rod..

i wasn't even going WOT or pushing it in anyway when the connecting rod finally snapped.

now that i look at the rod where it broke off, it shows a darker side as if it's been cracked earlier, then sheered off later.

the car had CP pistons, a Nelson offset ground crankshaft, and still to be identified connecting rods, although they look stock to me.

the way things look i need a new block, and connecting rods, and i really don't think i'll wanna use that crankshaft again (assuming it's in as good a shape as it seems now)

the whole offset grind thing didn't seem like a good way to go with an engine that put down ~900hp.

some photos...
You must be registered for see images attach

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PartsRack can provide just about anything you need: Complete short block, or bare block, or a pick-out motor; Crank; We do not pretend to compete with flea-bay garage sales. But we DO serve Vipers-only. Thank You

We ship worldwide have shipped to UAE many times, and and have a pending order to Dubai at this very moment: (Joe?Julian?)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The location of the break is indicative of a pin end seizure or engine overspeed. Close evaulation should show if it was bending (pin seizure) or tensile (overspeed). The primary cause for an overspeed is a missed/wrong shift. Pin seizure (note this could be temporary and no longer be seized) is normally either lubrication or temperature related.

OP
OP
D

DXBLouie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...we have a pending order to Dubai at this very moment: (Joe?Julian?)

i know both Jon and Julian from MSW (DXB Racing)! :)
i'll check your site and will be in touch with you soon.

The location of the break is indicative of a pin end seizure or engine overspeed.

do you agree that the snapped rod shows signs of an early crack (bottom right)? or you think that's unlikely?

Got any openings for a .net programmer over there?

market is a bit down now just like the rest of the world.. but check out bayt.com and monstergulf.com :)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The location of the break is indicative of a pin end seizure or engine overspeed. Close evaulation should show if it was bending (pin seizure) or tensile (overspeed). The primary cause for an overspeed is a missed/wrong shift. Pin seizure (note this could be temporary and no longer be seized) is normally either lubrication or temperature related.

Goon Info, Thanks RS.

[And yet ANOTHER reason that this valuable site should be charging non members after a FREE trial period of course !]

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My guess would be a 1, 2, 3, 2, like Gr8asps.

There are some very good engine builders here and as stated above, you should likely had a good, forged short block built if you are supercharging.

Dan

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We can build & ship you a new shortblock if you would like, in any configuration you would like.

Even better, save a few bucks off a new build, have JonB send us a used pull out, and we'll make her good as new, built for your application. Help out two vendors at once!

OP
OP
D

DXBLouie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dan.. will keep you in mind :)

guys, what connecting rods would you recommend?
does anyone make titanium rods for these engines? looked around a bit to no avail..