Soft Top flew off... Ripped.. Need repair help.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early 93 Viper, and I am told that this soft top is extremely rare and different from 94+ Vipers.

The top flew off and the is in good condition still however the material completely tore away from the front bar (that attaches to the front windsheild). I took it to a shop to see if they could repair and they showed me that the actual material is GLUED onto the front bar. They want to maybe attempt to sew an extension piece on but they do not know what kind of GLUE was used for so that it will bond with the soft top front bar.

I use the soft top maybe 3 times a year so I do not see the need to try and locate a super rare soft top and pay over $1000 for it. Unless someone has a crappy one that works for sale?

I appreciate any help!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Ive got to ask, how the hell did it fly off? Did the locating pins give way on the top of the windshield pillars? had you forgotten to latch it down?

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was told by Mr. Wizard himself not to go over 100 with a soft
top. It will come off!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guessing... ?? You're screwed when it comes to an easy fix..

The top can be fixed but for $$ money. Early vipers are rare and hard to keep up in perfect condition. I'm pretty good with '94/'95s... but admit I don't know squat about pre '94 cars.

I hope someone will chime in..

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt push down the rear of the top for it to snap in, So it caught a gust of wind and the rear of the top popped off. The front was still latched in fine, but with the rear undone it flapped in the wind and ripped straight down the front bar along the stitching.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said, I don't know much about the early cars. It seems strange that the loose rear would ruin the top.... From what I've heard, it's usually the front that gets loose and pops up , breaking a side bar ?????????????????

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The early cars are a VINYL fabric, not canvas!

The tops were tested to 150 mph....I have seen dozens of 'ejections' and it has every time boiled down to installer error. Note: Often the installer / dealer was NOT the driver.

At last you were big enuf to admit it was an oversight.... sorry.

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to hijack this but if anyone has a damaged soft top for a 95 I need a the rear bar, the one that has the ears for the sides to attach to... anyone got one??? thanks

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
simply put, I wouldn't go too fast with the top on. I don't know the rating on the soft tops but the physics behind high speed with a soft top is not something I would recommend. Low pressure from the high speed air above the top compared to the high pressure low speed air in the cabine is going to lead to the roof literally popping off, especially if the latches weren't secured. It's the same physics that give planes lift. just one more reason I prefer coupes.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to hijack this but if anyone has a damaged soft top for a 95 I need a the rear bar, the one that has the ears for the sides to attach to... anyone got one??? thanks

It's common for that bar to break on the Gen I's, check your ***.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take 99 RT/10's suggestion to take it to a local upholstery place that car replace it with new canvas fabric. don't know the cost but, if they can do it, should be way less than trying to locate a good used '93 top.

It also depends on whether you are trying to maintain an original '93. Based on other parts, that could be expensive but it all depends on your view.

There are a few good used parts suppliers around who might be able to help you. Try calling Chuck, he can give you a few names. Also, 99 RT/10 might have something, I actually bought my hardtop from him.

Good luck.

OP
OP
G

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know what glue might be used that is holding the fabric to the front bar? I need something strong enough to suggest to the shop for their repair attempt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery